AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Ok now because this is split time that means the poi should meet at each side rather than top and bottom. When i take it from my left side (doin it backwards) to my right side to do it forwards they meet down by my legs . Its really strange and doing this move with it goin backwards on my right side its fine. Can anyone help although i can see this just being another case of left hand syndrome

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It could be the left or right poi that's off plane but it's most likely the left hand changing sides that's causing the problem. When you move your left hand over to the right hand side it sounds like it's getting through the top half of the circle ok but it's probably going through the right poi's line at the bottom (even though it seems fine in the top half it could still be off place). It helps to really turn your shoulders to either side of your body when trying to learn this move.

I'm only guessing here because it's difficult to say without seeing you do it but try to identify exactly which poi is supposed to be closest and furthest from your body at both the top and bottom of the circle, see which one is going wrong and focus on making them miss each other correctly.... I hope that makes some kind of sense...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
thanks ill have to try that

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
this is another thing i've been rather curious about in general. What exactly is a butterfly weave...doesn't seem to make much sense..are there any visuals out there (e.g. videos, stills, etc...) ??

peace

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
forward butterfly right side.. reverse butterfly left side.. if you move between the two you get one poi doing a reverse weave and one poi doing a forward weave... thus its a butterfly, but a weave..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's a video done by Jo Derry somewhere but I can't remember where. Try send Jo a PM or maybe someone who knows where it is will see this....

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I have it.. but its 5 bt.. then 5 bt with a 2bt in the middle.. if you want it let me know.. but I would suggest starting with the 3bt first.. which is simply forward butterfly right side to rev butterfly left side to forward butterfly right side...

or for left handers.. forward butterfly left side to reverse butterfly right side to forward butterfly left side...

either way.. it's the same thing.. there's no real difference in a forward and reverse butterfly weave.. jhust depends on which side you do the forward butterfly on..

keep in mind that this should be better dubbed thread the needle weave since you do a thread the needle not a butterfly.. but this is all symantics... if you do what I said above you'll get it.. no problem..

edit: oh and the only difference between normal and split time is the beat count... regular is 4bt/6bt/etc.. split time is 3bt/5bt etc... because of the way the poi cross... I almost positive.. but I ahven't been poi'ing lately.. waiting on my monkey fists..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The more I think about it, the more I dissagree with that beat count. A split time butterfly in 2 beats. Then you can do a 3 beat or a 6 beat split time TTN. So how can you come up with 3 and 5 beat split-time butterfly weaves?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
when you do a butterfly yes split time is still 2 bt, etc.. BUT when you weave it... the beats change.. hence the 5bt butterfly weave using a 4bt TTN.. the transition of the butterfly (or TTN rather) from one side to the other changes the way the beats fall...

hit me up on aim and I'll send you a video of jo doing it..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm doing it wrong (don't think so) but it defo feel like ding ding on one side and then ding ding on the other side...4

I'm not gunna get too hung up on it though, I only kinda want to know cause I want to start adding more beats on the standard one.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Although now that I think about it, it does seem like I pop back to the otherside quicker sometimes when I really get into it. I'm not doing this move very long so I still don't full understand the mechanics of what I'm doing yet...

aoifeBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
hi

aoife

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
A weave?
Wouldn’t a forward butterfly right side to reverse butterfly left side, be a ffffountain?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
no.. a butterfly fountain (or TTN fountain) includes doing it reverse on the back left... forward in front... reverse back right...

you know.. taking the butterfly and weaving it like a fountain...

If you take it just from the left to right its a weave... just like a normal weave... if you try it.. (especially split time) you'll see that your weaving one poi forward and one poi reverse... and it makes -5- beats... just like a regular ttn weave (butterfly weave makes 3 beats... if you are doing 2 or 4 then your are doing a same time weave and not split... when you split it (starting with a butterfly on the right.. your left poi goes to the left side, then the right, then the right comes bck while the left makes a nother round.. so it ends up as follows:

R-L-R (right side) ~ L-R-L (left side) ~ R-L-R

I don't have my poi on me right now to check.. I may have the sides backwards, but thats how you do the 3bt butterfly weave using a 2 bt TTN... use a 4bt TTN and you get a 5bt weave...

Notiuce I didn't say that you can't do a 4bt weave, or a 2 bt weave.. I'm just saying that if you actually -weave- it, instead of just bouncing it side to side then you will get the odd beats...

again... I have a vid for you to download.. I would show you on cam, but my cam sucks to bad for you to see clearly what I'm doing..

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Can a butterfly weave done by sort of trying a weave while spinning in mixed directions?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
a butterfly weave is a weave in both directions... hence why it makes a butterfly and a weave.... you get one poi doing a forward weave and the other doing a reverse weave... this is best seen again with them split time... not only seen split time, but -best- seen with split time..

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
i would have to say that that move is one of the coolest looking crowdpleasers out there , looks great with a few trasitions

¿

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
exactly because it combines all the freedom of weaving with all the coolness of butterflies.. so you can get all your weave moves in while still getting butterfly stuff like being able to go from the butterfly and take the left arm over the right shoulder.. bounce the right amr over the left shoulder.. under arms, etc.. becase alternating butterflies can be soo damn cool.. plus all the wraps..

ahh.. yeah.. butterfly weaving has got to be the coolest thing I've learned to play with.. hands down..

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Butterfly weave > Double leg wrap > Single leg wrap > Weave is a fun little combo to experiment with