Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 6,7,8,9 beat weaves?? r they posible??

Login/Join to Participate

wink004member
7 posts

Posted:
i just got the reverse 5 beat weave and am wondering can you add any more beats.
i also want to know, how the hell do you do a 5 beat behind the back weave and behind the back reverse.
can you plz help!

Mmmmmmm kero!

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I have just posted on a thread started by LaZy how to do the btb reverse weave so i hope that helps plus theres a tutorial bit on it in the moves section of this site.

As for 6,7,8,9 beat weaves they are possible and involve wrapping the poi around your wrists to get the extra revolutions. In my opion they aren't great unless done very cleanly and well.

Congrats on the 5 beat reverse for some ungodly reason i can only do the 3 and 7 beat reverse weave so if you have any pointers?...
God knows i've tried.

as for the 5 beat btb it is (and i use the word loosley ) 'simply' the exact same hand movements you are doing with the reverse 5 beat weave but behind your back. Any use?

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
Well from what I have seen, I have seen Glass in a video do a 7 beat weave and Mot has lessons and animated gifs of him doing 6 and 7 beat weaves (the 6 and 7 are related like the 4 and 5...). As for 8 beats and 9 beats.... I'd imagine the 9 beat is possible... but only with extreme and quick body contorsion? (Mot Glass???? can you get in on this??) For the 9 beat (I myself can only do 5 both ways... am stretching lots to try and get the 7 beats....) I guess you would do the funky elbow thing to do the 7th beat. Lets try and so this beat by beat... only on one side... tho... so the left side. The basic 3 beat gets you a total of 3 beats on one side (left hand plus right hand...) then you pass your left elbow above your right elbow... thats 5 beats... then bring your right hand around your left arm and left hand around right arm... thats 7 beats... then you turn you body with your arms twisted to get 9 beats?? and then bring your arms over to the other side while twisting?? well hmm... this would be a 7 beat with a turn then... but if you pull it off well it looks like 9 beats??? I dunno.... anyone else have any thoughts?

EDIT!!! Hey just as a note... Mot and Glass can do the 7 beat without wrapping....

Vagueness defines everything...

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
If your drunk the three beat looks like a fifteen beat sometimes.

My cat's breath smells like catfood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok... 5,6,7 can all be done without wraps... 8 and 9 require some wrappage... just a little bit.. mainly with the fingers... *insert picture of poi chain catching barely on the finger and then sliding off so that the poi cracks me in the skull* yeah.. finger wraps.. oi....

each take time... and as with the 5 bt, there are a few different ways to do each of the higher beat stuff...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Okay with all this warping stuff it sounds to me like if you had really long chains you could do things like a 16 beat weave, sure it would be really long and involve the circles getting smaller I think, could it be done?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I think you need to read the section on counting beats... I mean in theory it would work but you would have to find a way to get it to wrap without tangling and still be able to unwrap cleanly on the other side... I'm thinking 11.. 13 tops..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, don't go tellin' people that they need to go read about beats! That's mean!

Besides, with arm wrapping it's only the length of the poi that constrains you. It's totally cheating and easy by the way. I've done 13 beats with sock poi (that's only a 5 beat with 4 wraps before and after) and I haven't really tried more. I don't think I could get sock poi to go much faster to overcome the wind resistance, but with chains I'd imagine that the sky's the limit.

I can't wait to get my stilts. Then I'll be able to start arm wrapping 7 foot poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Then again there is always 'the infinite weave' which bassman posted on ages ago. It's where you let go of the strap and then grab it on the other side of your arm so you can literally stay on one side indefinitely.

Again, that's cheating.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

wink004member
7 posts

Posted:
thanks for all your help.
im gonna go try add more beats

Mmmmmmm kero!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC@NYC:
Then again there is always 'the infinite weave' which bassman posted on ages ago. It's where you let go of the strap and then grab it on the other side of your arm so you can literally stay on one side indefinitely.

Again, that's cheating.

I thought the only way you got extra beats is by doing things not repetitiously.. as in with the 5 bt, 7 bt, 9 bt, 11 bt, etc.. the wraps must unwrap on the other side.. if you let go and grab on the other side then after the first time you would be repeating that section and no longer doing the weave... weave being continuous as i understand it.. which goes beack to the beat counting thing... I got it hammered in my head about how to count beats when I first started, and now that I have a little experience I understand why... I hate to be an ass but its one of those things that are technical.. a beat may occur.. but not a beat that can be counted to the weave.. you know... as in a 5 bt is a bt on each side... I can open it up and do seperatiosn and get and a ton of bts.. but its still only a 5 bt weave...

does that make sense?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed rev. That's why I put 'infinite weave' in quotes and said it was cheating.

Though with the 'infinite weave' you could do 50 circles on one side and 50 on the other. I agree that the term 'beat' isn't relevant for this move which is why I didn't use it. You do have to 'weave' to get into or out of it though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
When i first learned the 5 beat i actually let the poi wrap around eachother between the mid section and the handles, then i swong it over and unwraped it on the otherside, wraped it up again, lather rinse repeat. I suppose this is very simular to the hand/wrist wraps only on the string. The problem with this is that its very sloppy because you don't have control past the wrap point and it usually causes one poi to drop out of the spin on the otherside.

Man.. all this talk about beats and wraps makes me feel like a gangsta.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDevil:
When i first learned the 5 beat i actually let the poi wrap around eachother between the mid section and the handles, then i swong it over and unwraped it on the otherside, wraped it up again, lather rinse repeat. I suppose this is very simular to the hand/wrist wraps only on the string. The problem with this is that its very sloppy because you don't have control past the wrap point and it usually causes one poi to drop out of the spin on the otherside.

Man.. all this talk about beats and wraps makes me feel like a gangsta.

That's an air wrap/hyperloop And it's perfectly possible to do them nicely, just takes practise.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
offset weaves

here is a thread i posted a long time ago.

its alto do with the offset weave family, where you can do the 5+ beat weaves with out any wraps.

if you carry on a search for more, arashi has posted some where about the spider! 7+ nowrap kid of offset weaves with different hand and arm possitions.

have fun, once you have the hand off sets are very smooth, if any one has seen some of my videos you can see offset weaves in some of the footage of myself, theres an offset 5beat in my col4 entry if you can spot it.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC@NYC:
Indeed rev. That's why I put 'infinite weave' in quotes and said it was cheating.

Though with the 'infinite weave' you could do 50 circles on one side and 50 on the other. I agree that the term 'beat' isn't relevant for this move which is why I didn't use it. You do have to 'weave' to get into or out of it though.

I know I know mate... but I was just saying that that was why I mentioned about counting beats.. I wasn't trying to be an ass.. although it came across that way... i seem to remeber Pk I think it was when I first joined, talking on a thread about needing to count bts and why we count beats so that you don't have people coming in saying 'hey I just learned a 528 beat weave'

not his exact words of course... but its the principal..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed rev, I am a believer in using 'beats' as a teaching tool. Like all teaching tools, it's imperfect, oversimplified, and falls apart upon serious scrutiny. But I do that for a living as a High school chemistry teacher. Glass got the giggles when I told him that "100% of the stuff I teach my kids is wrong". But it's true. High school chem is an oversimpliefied model BUT it works on the basic, most of the time, practical level. And so does beats.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hehe... I wanted to make sure that you understood that I wasn't trying to be an ass even though I came across as one..
and I was never trying to explain anything to ya... you been doing this a lot longer then I ahve... I was trying to get things out to some of the newer folk...