Drunken ChipmunkBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Hey there everyone

Just wondering might stupid question but how do you transfer from a weave to a butterfly smoothly .

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
cant!!!!

well you can but you got to do a foot wrap or stall. or

the way i do it,fwd butterfly, go into bf weave then turn 180 degrees with a wrist flick (dont ask more on the flick cant tell you, coz i dont know). into weave.

and thats it!!!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

11 posts

Posted:
ok chears for your help.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
It also worth looking into hyperloops....there is a couple of nice ones that look really good....

I like Fire.. :)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well you can wrap.. which works.. I prefer the quick thigh wrap when doing a weave (like right poi of the right thigh when doing the rev weave) and go into a butterfly weave. or buitterfly whatever floats your boat..

the most fun way is without wrapping, but can't really describe it very well.. needless to say it invovles seperations and some funkyness while turning that gets the poi to come back one in each direction... it can also be applied in reverse from butterfly to a weave... but so can wraps..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This has been discussed before in detail. I do remember that several people gave some pretty good ideas. Tempest showed me a nice way while in Sheffield last week.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
If you hit search you'll find loads of hints tips and ideas in past threads.

Here's one from not too long ago...
Bling bling

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You gunna keep the one Liam showed you a secret NYC?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes.

Because I can't possibly explain it. Nor can I really do it.

Ug... corkscrew. But when your hands are at the bottom with right leading right hand kicks up into butterfly (so going counterclockwise) this is the easy part. The hard part is getting the left hand at the bottom of the corkscrew to make a smooth u-turn right in front of your right knee and end up spinning clockwise.

So essentially from the bottom of a corkscrew you're forcing each poi 90 degrees to a butterfly. And since you can easily go weave-corkscrew the whole thing can be done in a beat.

That's as good as I can get for the moment.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
So it's a forced plane change, I know exactly what you mean. Does Joe Derry do the opposite in the video section, I can't view realplayer but I think I remember someone mentioning it before.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC@NYC:
So essentially from the bottom of a corkscrew you're forcing each poi 90 degrees to a butterfly. And since you can easily go weave-corkscrew the whole thing can be done in a beat.

That's as good as I can get for the moment.

ouch... ouch again I say.. that forcing the chang is what i do with them seprated.. that way you only have to do it with one and it flows smooth when doing a seprated weave into a seprated butterfly weave... because you just sepreate transition and bring back together.. but I can't describe that u-turn because its not a jerking motion, which makes it seem kinda of confusing.. It's just in how you make it loop.. I'm going to have to try and do it with the corkscrew because that would be so much nicer...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Jo does it well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
well, the nicest way I know how do it is this:
(without knowing any of the official names)
do the FWD weave - hit right poi on right foot to change direction - swing it under your leg to change direction again ( while turning 90* to the left) - swing it back over your leg and you are doing the butterfly!

because you come in from the back, it gives you a nice opportunity to go directly into "thread the needle" this way.

have fun,
Eric.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey..
i like the leg wrap personally.. backwards weave leg wrap, butterfly then whatever. i like the sound of that under the leg thing tho that someone mentioned! may have 2 give that a go... just play around with it an i guess u find something that suits you!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by duballstar:
hey..
i like the leg wrap personally.. backwards weave leg wrap, butterfly then whatever. i like the sound of that under the leg thing tho that someone mentioned! may have 2 give that a go... just play around with it an i guess u find something that suits you!

yeah the simple thigh wrap (more of a thigh bounce when I do it since I dont really wrap it when I do this particular transition) is one of my fav ways of switching... mainly because I can bring the 5bt rev weave to my right side and before you realize it the poi are coming back to the left side in a 5bt butterfly weave.. hehe... simple yet effective..

but then again.. knowing how to make people go is cool too..

11 posts

Posted:
hey every one thanks for all your help havent had that much internet access in a while so havent been able to reble. the other day i discoverd a way with out wraps or stops. rev might of descibed it not sure.

he it goes while doing the weave when the pois are on your right. as the right hand go across you body do not let the left follow the during that beat are another beat on across you arms and bring them together but slightly change them into the butterfly

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Chipmunk:

he it goes while doing the weave when the pois are on your right. as the right hand go across you body do not let the left follow the during that beat are another beat on across you arms and bring them together but slightly change them into the butterfly

dude.. you need the same typing classes I do.. because we both manage to make english look like some other language...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I found this while seraching for something unrelated. I'd link to the thread but it wasn't about the same thing.

PK said:

quote:
Jo derry once taught me a fantastic move:

so if your starting from butterfies with your wrists together and you want to go in to a weave, dont go else where... look at whats easier first.
you can take a forwards butterfly from behind the head straight into a 4 beat corkscrew, i saw 4 beat becauseyou can do that with your wrists touching rather than the regualr 2 beat, what ever try em both it dont matter.
Then you can easilly alter the angle of the poi to flow out of the corkscrew into the weaves.

that butterfly swop to corkscrew is just altering the angle of the right wrist as its coming back over your head, you should from that come out doing an anticlockwise corkscrew.

Thought it was worth reposting...

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
another fun little move is to stall your right hand coming out of a forwards weave into a turn to the left. it should be swinging under your left arm, and instead of following through into bacwards weave, keep your left hand spinning as if forwards butterfly and walk the dog like a yo-yo with your right before bringing it up to join the left on a forwards butterfly....
sounds complicated but is well simple an looks real cool!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i like to stall a poi under my legs either poi, from either back or front of you, is good but i have trouble with left poi....

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There are plenty of ways to do smooth transitions b/t the chase and butterflies.

One I like is based on the lower fountain, which is basicaly going from fwd to rev chase. To get the change of direction from fwd chase on the side, u turn to the front with crossed arms and then uncross your arms in front to go into rev chase. This crossing and uncrossing also provides a great opportunity to go into butterflies.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Jillmember
6 posts

Posted:
Well i found a way to go stright from weave to butterfly and back, can't really explain but if you just make the poi go wher you want them to go it is very easy. Just try to slow the weave down a little, and make the timing different, but only for a second, you'll end up with regular weave, a beat of a half butterfly-ish weave to a butterfly.
And I know this has nothing to do with the forum, but about how old is everyone else, I may not have read carefully, but I am a bit suprised that I am the olny person who can do this, and I'm 13 and just started poi.

I couldn't love you more.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Grindle, the reason why people don't normally do that kind of stuff (Although you aren't the only one who can do that...) is because it envolves breaking your planes. Butterfly and Weave envolve one of the poi changing directions (180 degrees), or in what you were describing, both of the poi changing directions a bit less (90 degrees each), is breaking your planes, which doesn't look so pretty or fluid

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yeah.. it's all about making it look smooth and flow nicely round those planes. any cool (but controlled) little tricks you can throw in make this look even better...

• Jillmember
6 posts

Posted:
Actually, it looks really smooth, you wouldn't think so but it looks very cool, kind of like a cage or electrons around a neucleus, a bit like what a corkscrew looks like.

I couldn't love you more.