Chuck Smember
1 post

Posted:
I've not seen this before so I thought I would post it.

It's quite simple, what you do is a buzzsaw, only one of the poi is spinning in the opposite direction. Thus you have something that looks like a butterfly from the side, but it is spinning between your arms in front of you (in the 'buzzsaw' plain).

This is a good thing to do because it means you can do a butterfly, keep it in the same place, and walk round it! If you do the sequence:

butterfly, 'butterfly buzzsaw', reverse butterfly, reverse 'butterfly buzzsaw', butterfly, ...

then it looks like the poi have some kind of life of their own, and you and just walking round.

Wadya recon?

Chuck

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
yeah man, that's a fun thing to play with... I stumbled on it shortly after learing the butterfly. I try to learn each move in every direction before moving on to the next. ie. I should be able to do any move in front, behind, left and right of me. Still working on a lot of the behind moves...and doh!..I forgot above and below...wh00t MORE PRACTICE!!!!

-peaces

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
lovely move chuck
have a few things to play around with from that if ya fancy?

i first heard it referred to as 'scissors' (you get little names for everything if you get taught poi by fairies ).

tis really nice to stall one poi out of a regular buzzsaw and go into this.
doing that is what started me on pendula - stall one poi high out of a buzzsaw into a pendulum swing (in the same plane as it was before but higher up so the bottom of that swing is the top of the buzzsaw circle) and then choose when to drop it back in and whether you want it in bf or normal buzzsaw.

and if you can do a buzzsaw fountain in all four directions then you can start to play around with bf buzzsaw fountains muchos funos.

nice variation (and the first move i ever learnt/nicked off of smallboy there's been many more since!) is to take one arm out and do a full arm cicle on the outside. i usually do it just with the backwards swinging poi but doing both (and adding compound circles) leads towards a move similar to the flowy butterfly gorgeuosness displayed by cass on 'spinning in paris'.

this move with just one full arm circle takeout led me to 'compound circles' ie. same move but with wrist circles at say four points around the big arm circle while trying to keep in time with the one remaining buzzsawing poi.
eventually got onto two arms and it builds up to the type of stuff meenik does (flowers ) on his second video.

happy playing dude

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
that sounds like a damn nice lookin, face tearin move. must try$

could someone explain the buzzsaw fountain, sounds interesting. and you know that move cass does in spinning in paris when she sort of winds a weave around her back (not in wall plane) and then in front plane with one arm behind her back??? does anyone know what im referring to?

(i hate describing moves, feel so illiterate all of a sudden )

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cole, loads to play with now .

I've been playing with it but don't have as interesting variations . I've just been playing with alternating one arm in buzz saw and one out again. Like left out, right in, right out left in, both in, both out and both out of opposite sides.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
buzzsaw fountain is on 'how to' (don't know the time cos i can't look while @ work any more ).
i think pk does it on that vid - its the move that goes from fwd buzzsaw to rev buzzsaw (transitioning low) and back to fwd buzzsaw (transitioning high).
it all goes round in a big circle to smoothly link the two transitions.

and the move that cass does that you are referring to may well be a waistwrap but they are entirely in wall plane so i'm not sure - if you post exaclty what time its at, someone will tell ya i'm sure

nice one dss don't forget to post back with anything else you come up with off of those variations though - the more there is to play with, the more fun we have

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DeepSoulSheep:
Like left out, right in, right out left in, both in, both out and both out of opposite sides.
ooo, i got a good one for ya then - have you tried a 2bt (or 8bt if you count the whole thing) 'buzzsaw weave'?
moohaahaa showed me this - basically you just spin a buzzsaw and then do 2bts on the left outside, 2bts back inside, 2bts on the right outside, back inside again for 2 and repeat.
chucking in big arm circles for the transition back inside is quite groovy too...

who can tell i'm having a *really* slow day @ work then
i so wanna be playing @ liiiiquiiiiid already...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
If it's what I'm thinking it is then I think so. basically starting on the extreme of oneside and slooowwly moving the poi through a buzzsaw to the opposite side...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's the one i think - as long as it goes inny-outy-inny-outy and never goes from one side to the other without going throught the middle, then its the fella i'm on about

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Just so ya know, there is some footage of this move in Smallboy's Playing Easy video.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
OMG! a poi moves thread to which I can contribute!

Love this move btw.

I do a thread the needle (TTN) to alternate buzzsaw (alt.bz) to opposite (opp) TTN...which has a wicked groove to it. Can also be done with the twisting torso thingo (5 point ttn?).

Love doing the piroettes with this one, where you take one poi out and do a circle next to the hip, and take the other over the top for a beat and then drop it in once you finish your 180degree turn.

Now it will be another 1000years before I post in Poi Moves again..

::Cave door closes, mumbling can be heard from inside::

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!