Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > OK here we go this will show u whats what...........

Login/Join to Participate

azamember
3 posts

Posted:
Hi
I will admit strate of that I'm not a poi swinger or what ever u call yourselfs! I'm a yoyoer/juggler. But I think i can show you all at least some iders for some new tricks....
Now yoyoing, as some of you may know (Shawn, anyone else?), is great fun adn can be compared to poi on many ways (well at least the two handed side of yoyoing (AA play as us yoyoers know it)). Some of the basics of AA play have and can be done with poi.
But yoyoing is continually progressing (not saying poi isn't)and some of the advanced wraps are just out of this world!!!

I have never seen poi players do the stuff some of the Jap yoyoers are doing but to be fair i have not seen many good poi swingers. You guys should take a look at some of the yoyo vids that are on then net espically the AA ones. The world yoyo contest took place not to long ago and the winners freestyles (3 min shows) are on the net ready to be downloaded. I highly recomend you poi swinger watch and be amazed!!!!!!!!
Watch and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
for the rest of the freestyles look at this
hope you all learn stuff or maybe i got it soooo worng and this is all basics for you lot.
aza
new to this board

Yoyoing is better than poi!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid your link didn't work, it appears to link to : -

https://https://www.yo-yo.org/abi/worlds2003/2A_1st_Shinji.mpg

I tried deleting the extra 'https://' and got to the site but then couldn't download the movie, i got an 'internal error' message.

As the file is over 30 Mb could be due to exceeded bandwidth.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive downloaded the video and will watch it. But by the same token, I want you to download some videos of some good poi spinning

Take a look in the video section of the message board. The best one I can recommend is the Nick With Fire 2 video. But all of them are good really.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Poi and YoYos are too different to share that many tricks... most YoYo stalls are on the string, whereas most poi stalls are on the body.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I'll have to have a look.
I actually bought a couple of yo-yos the other day to play with. Before looking at too many yoyo tricks I've been trying to apply ideas from poi spinning to them. And some of these post modernist ideas come from club juggling and diablo. Which shows how it's all the same thing really - object manipulation.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i highly recomend the Glass Lab download their video's!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
What does this AA mean?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
2 yoyos at a time me thinks...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that kid is pretty sick, cheers for the link

in fact, the hyperloop type stuff is f*ckin crazy!

now if only i could make the yo-yo's bigger and slow them down i might be able to see what was going on...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

azamember
3 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MillenniuM:
Poi and YoYos are too different to share that many tricks... most YoYo stalls are on the string, whereas most poi stalls are on the body.
Not true. There are a few very different styles of yoyoing. the String tricks way (A)(very very different from poi) and the two handed way (AA)(similar 2 poi but much much harder).
tricks can b excanged, and as i c on this site many have been!!
aza

Yoyoing is better than poi!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by aza:
quote:
Originally posted by MillenniuM:
Not true. There are a few very different styles of yoyoing. the String tricks way (A)(very very different from poi) and the two handed way (AA)(similar 2 poi but much much harder).
tricks can b excanged, and as i c on this site many have been!!
aza

not wanting to call in a mod, but have some respect for feelings and abilities amigo... you appear to have come in, said "you guys are all crap, learn from these amazing things we can do,". not friendly. espescially as i know to my cost that most poi spinners prefer style over technicality...

however i will concede that good yoyoing is awesome. but different to poi once you get past some of the basic crossovers.

enjoy and hope some sharing comes frm this

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
to be fair, i think i agree with dom (just for a change like ).
when you get to the higher levels of any toy, you find that there are some things that you can do with them that are similar to tricks done with other toys...

for example many string yo-yo tricks have been lifted from diablo and diablo loop (and vice-versa in the loop's case).
i see double yo-yo players doing hyperloop style tricks adapted from diablo and i see poi swingers similar stuff too.
i see some poi swingers manipulating now using catches and arm sweeps much like ball jugglers do and staff swingers using contact juggling experience to develop contact staff moves.
it all overlaps and we should be happy for that.

personally, the main reason i don't play with yo-yo's any more is that i can't do shit with my left hand!
and also i found that i prefer a more visual toy - yo-yo's are supertechnical (which appeals to me lots) and there is a huge variety of tricks to perform but they are small, very fast and hard to understand unless you know what's going on.
give me a set of clubs and some aerotechs in nets and i'm happy as larry (who is larry and why exactly is he always grinning?!).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I agree with bluecat... not only should this be in the Other Toys forum, but you proceed to say that yoyoing is "harder" than poi, which is just rediculous. It's not easier, it's not harder, it's just different.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Hooray for yo-yos. I just got to meet John Higby and his fiancee (as of two weeks ago) Rebecca at a Buskers festival and bought a Big Ben from him. Great yo, really smooth. Plus, it was painted up so it's extra special .

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
I agree with Larry!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.