Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > A morning of reverse spinning.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Reverse is the work of the devil, so much harder then forward, maybe it's just where I haven't had much time to spin over the last few days that my reverse spinning got worse. Stupid over head butterfly... I should look for some tenis balls today when I go and look for new chains for my electroglo's, having them hit you in the back of the head repatedly isn't fun.

Yeah so I spent an hour or two this morning practicing reverse spinning. I've concluded that I must spin more and with some diffrent chain things so I can do wrap again.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
well i must say i prefer the feel of doing the weave backwards......

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I like doing that 180 reverse weave turn, so much fun. But none of my moves are as clean looking in revrese, I need too practice more. Any tips for doing the root of all evil "the reverse overhead butterfly?"

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
180 reverse weave turn ey?

as for tips on the reverse overhead butterfly i can do one but i dont have tips... erm just go for it,

o im no use,

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Yeah I love that trick, it's the only trick I can do in revrese but not forward. I belive it's in the free leasons section, you should give it a try, it's not all that hard, but you just might want to try it with a pair of socks first or risk making my mistake.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Are you talking about the normal weave turn going from reverse to forward or something else?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
That weave turn that goes from reverse to forward, I'm bad at discribing things.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm I've always found most reverse moves much nicer! They flow better, feel nicer, are easier to do (but maybe harder to learn). Reverse weave, reverse BTB, butterflies, TTN's - all feel nicer than their forward counterparts. Forward BTB is horrendous!

To each their own I guess

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Haven't had a chance to pratice today, I will soon though. It seems I have to order the ball chains off HoP, I can't find any parts too make my own around here.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
When I do BTB, my poi are spinning the sae direction as they would if i was just doing normal reverse weave. Does that make it reverse BTB or is it normal...

P*L*U*R

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I think thats normal, doing stuff BTB should be the oppsite of the direction your spinning so when your doing forward spinning BTB stuff should be reverse. I think.

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
for reverse overhead BF, it helps a lot to first figure what hand is below the other while they are behind your head. (it;s usually the hand that's below the other in the front, at least for me) anyway, while putting the BF behind your head, give that hand that's below the other one a flick (to speed the poi up you see) and this helps them from geting ttangled.

oh, and lots and lots of practice

-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
for reverse overhead BF, it helps a lot to first figure what hand is below the other while they are behind your head. (it;s usually the hand that's below the other in the front, at least for me) anyway, while putting the BF behind your head, give that hand that's below the other one a flick (to speed the poi up you see) and this helps them from geting ttangled.

oh, and lots and lots of practice

-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Deimos:
When I do BTB, my poi are spinning the sae direction as they would if i was just doing normal reverse weave. Does that make it reverse BTB or is it normal...
It's exactly the same as if they were in front of you. Usually people learn the reverse BTB weave first.... this is the one where the poi come back up in front of you and go back over your shoulder.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
oki doki, thanks a bunch. Maybe I should just learn BTB the other way as well then it wont really matter...

P*L*U*R

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I think I just found a very smooth trasition from butterfly (mexican wave) to weave. Now if I can do it again.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Achluophobia- there's a move called "4 point weave" described on the site, basically alternating between mexican wave to weave (weave on the sides, mexican wave in front and behind). It's actualy one of my favorite moves.
Whoops, found the actual page it's on - Voila

P*L*U*R

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
its just a random hand position change, with any move in the weave family, as in following poi(make sence?)

anyway??!!!??

just keep your wrists touching at all times, they just roll over and under each other, understand.

this gives the move a slightly different look (that to none poier think is an entirely diff trick) and feels really cool if done properly.

the reason its in the thread is because i love doing the rev weave like this, i dont know if its possible doing it in btb moves but im going to try see.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
No, I don't think the four point weave is what I'm talking about, I some how managed to go from a reverse mexican wave to forward split time spinning. Maybe this is something simple everyone knows and I just don't know it.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
all you did is come out of the mexican wave on the right side of your body, if you come out on the left you will be spinning backwards again,

im not 100% on this, but hey try it prove me right plz!!!! i wanna be cool

It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
can anybody do the reverse over the head butterfly turn?!

xxxxxxxx

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven (John Milton)I am the answer to all questions and cause of all problems!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
the tranission between mexican wave andweave also works for low wave and weave.... i cant describe exactly how to do it, but i do do it.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Unless you're doing Mexican Wave in split beat (Which is either impossible or I don't know how to do it), the weave and the wave are split beat/parallel beat, respectively. You have to either do them both in split beat, or lose a beat in your transition, which is where people normally mess up and lose clean planes. I normally go from Mexican Wave to split beat butterfly for just one beat, and pull my right hand to my left side and left hand to my right side in split beat, which goes easily in to a weave.

Sorry for the horrible descriptions

quote:
all you did is come out of the mexican wave on the right side of your body, if you come out on the left you will be spinning backwards again,
Close, but not quite . If you come out of it to your right, your right hand will be spinning in reverse and your left hand will be spinning forwards (Try it!). If you come out of it to your left, your right hand will be spinning forwards and your left hand in reverse.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
but you just follow on with a flick of the wrist.
sorry if the discription was horrid but hey i didnt have my poi. i know for a fact i do a fountain well.compared to other spinners of the same amount of time spinning. so either i do it differently than most or i got it the whole coming out from rev mill to fwd weave and vice a versa pinned.

sorry if this sounds agressive.

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I've got the reverse overhead butterfly now.
Thanks everyone.
I've got some other questions now.

Firstly, what exactly is the point of thread the needle, it looks a lot like a normal butterfly
although a lot more fun to do. Aren't there suppose to be a lot of things you can do with it? Or am I wasting time learning reverse TTN? I've made up a trick learning it though. I call it a hyper loop nose stall.

I was trying to think up other things to do with mixed direction spinning and tried too do a weave
with it, almost got it too, is it even possible though?

And is there any real difference in the movements for a 3 and 5 beat weave? Don't you just do the
same hand movements only more of them?

GeckoXBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Achluophobia:
Firstly, what exactly is the point of thread the needle, it looks a lot like a normal butterfly
although a lot more fun to do. Aren't there suppose to be a lot of things you can do with it? Or am I wasting time learning reverse TTN? I've made up a trick learning it though. I call it a hyper loop nose stall.

I was trying to think up other things to do with mixed direction spinning and tried too do a weave
with it, almost got it too, is it even possible though?

And is there any real difference in the movements for a 3 and 5 beat weave? Don't you just do the
same hand movements only more of them?

I just got the backwards weave and windmill this weekend, after 5 straight hours of (painful)attempts. I've also combined the two to form the fountain, an extremely satisfying move to learn. In the process of doing a backward-forward weave turn, you stop mid-turn at the point when it feels like the poi are going to collide if you keep spinning them, and you bring them over your head to do the windmill. It's basically weave, windmill, weave, windmill. The result is a repeating tunnel of light.

Regarding TTN, it doesn't look or feel too spectacular to me. I prefer the feel of the backwards weave.

4 and 5 beat weaves involve sort of twisting your hands around each other. I recommend you learn the triple cork-screw (in the home of poi lessons at the bottom) before you attempt the 5 beat weave. It will develop the twisting coordination necessary to spin the poi more than the usual number of times on each side.

Hope that helps.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm confused on this whole BTB weave to windmill thing... windmill being over the head and BTB being wait level you can't get both arms up to head level from BTB... are you doing a seprration and then bringing them back together at head level or soemthing?>

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by GeckoX:
Regarding TTN, it doesn't look or feel too spectacular to me. I prefer the feel of the backwards weave.
TTN is a great move as it opens up all of the butterfly weaves and so on, and you can use wraps and stalls to go into it from weaves and you can do straight arm versions and spin things around and so on.

It's at least as important as the weave is.

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Butterfly weaves? Just as important as the weave?
All I can seem to do with thread the needle is warp in on my arm so I can go into the windmill or corkscrew. So what exactly is a Butterfly weave? Should I just run a search on it?

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
rev all you do is diolocate your shoulders then you can bring them over your head if you like.

windmill might hurt though.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Achluophobia:
Butterfly weaves? Just as important as the weave?
All I can seem to do with thread the needle is warp in on my arm so I can go into the windmill or corkscrew. So what exactly is a Butterfly weave? Should I just run a search on it?

If you do you should find lots of stuff, but basically it's a 3-beat weave but with the poi going opposite directions instead of the same direction.

Page: