Page:
Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Ok i was watching Dantana's Video :
"Dantutorialsmall" and i noticed about 2.52 into it, he does what could only be called "contact" when his hands stay on his body the whole time through a weave very tricky move i thought. I have finally managed to get it clean but even though it looks real easy, its not.

(hands run over and up alternate arm and round sholder and back down arm, and then other hand does that)

I was just wondering who else is doing this new style and what variations are available.

Currently i have the standard contact 4 bt spiders (turning weave) and continous turning. It just feels so good i thought i had to share it with everyone who hasn't learnt it yet

If this has been covered already sry, but i did the whole search thing and... yea.

Ideas/ variations, obscene phonecalls.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I would like to have some obscene phone calls. They sound rather fun...

Anyways, I first started doing these about two years ago, although at the time they mostly involved bending backwards and doing a forward butterfly while touching my nipples with my finger tips and doing "fore-aft" pelvic thrusts. alternatly categorized under "moves for the ladies". Latter on variouse weave variations occured. I then saw PK doing them on COL3, at which point I had already gotten several variations down, but he had a couple more that I modified and added to my list. Thanks PK!!!!

There are many other variations, and I hope someone else will share some of their discoveries. among which are corkscrew and lots of other things. I might sugest trying it with the "TTN" thread the needle. and for the realy flexible individuals.... BTB weave!?!?!?! let me know if it works.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
In the words of Towelie: "Man, I have no idea what's going on..."

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Great move. Perfect for smooth dancing! For me you get the best flow with the good old fountain. The windmill (4beat) gets this kind of pyramid character when both poi build the perfect circle only at the top and the rest of the time they (the circles) "wander" to your shoulders and back.

And BTB works as well but I have to dodge too often and bend. But think this will go away if you practice practice practice . . .

have a nice day

andy

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mr moohaahaa taught me this one - like 5bt straight arm weave variation but in wheel plane and using both arms alternately straight.

anyone else think it kinda feels like you should be rolling your sleeves up and down?

anyhoo, variations:

extend your arms straight, up, down or out in front of you. its all the same move but looks very different.

you can 'pause' it over one arm. eg. as you come up to the left shoulder with your right hand, turn 90deg to your right so that you are doing a standard straight arm 3bt weave (left arm straight out and right hand stuck to shoulder/armpit). then when you're done doing that (you can hold that for as long as you like of course) turn back into wheel plane, slide down the left arm go back up the right with the left and turn out of that one into a straight arm weave in the wall plane on the other side.

for a kick arse (but tricky as you like) variation do the exact same move but with opposite direction poi (the bf weave variant).
i can't do it but have seen it and it looks gorgeous.

wicked post taniwha - anyone else with variations?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
or to place a variation on the idea of contact poi - do an arm wrap and instead of unwrapping the poi let them roll down your arms or across your shoulders like contact jugglers do.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Taniwha:

Ok i was watching Dantana's Video :

"Dantutorialsmall" and i noticed about 2.52 into it, he does what could only be called "contact" when his hands stay on his body the whole time through a weave eek very tricky move i thought. I have finally managed to get it clean but even though it looks real easy, its not.

5-beat straight arm weave... you can either keep it in one direction all the time by alternating which arm is straight, or by doing it in the wheel plane and moving across your body you can do a full five beat turn from forwards to reverse and back. And yes, it can be quite tricky smile

I've seen moohaahaa do a similar straight arm five beat butterfly weave, but I couldn't begin to tell you how that works ubblol And there are some nice through-wraps that can be done with this sort of stuff as well. And an airwrap as well, because your hands are far enough apart because one is straight and the other near your shoulder.
EDITED_BY: Døm (1080821965)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Well i know i already have the btb ninja thread, but im kinda bored with ninjas right now wink tongue any way i think this thread needs to be bumped. Especially for all the people who havnt spent any time on these moves, and alot of them lead into harder combos...in a way its even more fun than hyperloops, and anyone can do it.

Its taken me awhile to figure out what spiralx was talking about untill i had these combos "snakes;)" down good and clean. Pretty much what spirialx has just said about using thru wraps, but i go all the way to recoil and then drag the poi heads over (spiral) around my arms *mind game tracers* (keeping 1 hand on the opposite arm) and flowing round into the reverse 5bt recoil wrap. This move looks awsome, and you can get some really bizare planes happening. eek biggrin

Just keep 1 arm straight out/ or up, in a weave (5bt is good but 4 can be done eaiser) and let the chain wrap till recoil, your hand should stay on your arm, and at recoil let it un wrap while pulling your hand around the other side of the arm untill it recoils on the other side. then do the same and switch arms. Funky move... eek i love it, its my new fav and looks way better than any hyperloop and is just as tech. tongue

Although you do need good equipment so you dont get burnt *ie no metal heads* and pratice alot before burn because there is a little chance of tanglage, but if you keep the heads moving (quickly over the surface of the skin) you should be fine. beerchug weavesmiley peace
EDITED_BY: Dragon07 (1080820100)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Just briefly, for me "Contact Poi" means the same as contact staff - you release the poi and they stay in contact with your body until caught again. I think it was discussed sometime before but I'm at work at the mo and can't go off searching for it.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
...like continuous thru-wraps?

ubbidea

cool cool yet more stuff to play with tonight. so many moves, so little time\coordination\patience

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
ahblurrrughmyaaannyyyyyyyyyyannnnnnnnnnnyaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnyaaa, uuuuggggugugugugugugugugugugugzippytliwithiflofdomshimywhixzzbluurgh!

Um, sorry is I just got it took a brain hemmorage and a small stroke to gt there though. I've just realised what you're talking about is a variation of what I've been doing scince I started wrapping my poi. I've gotta go try these new variations....!!!!!

laZy

as laZy as .....

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i understand contact poi to be what dom said. what we're discussing here is just straight arm weave variants isn't it? saw someone doing them with isolations the other night at spitz which looked real wierd... ubbloco

anyway, as for actual contact poi i believe poipoipoi has been delving into such territory if you give him a shout on shperculism...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hello.

dragon means just keeping your hands attached to your body whilst doing poi, stroking them around instead of beign dictated to the pattern of a weave/whatever.

try bth weave and crossers in this aswell.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yeh, been playin with these since seein dantana do these tew. Got some nifty variations, around the head, horizontal stuff, waist level stuff..very nice, all very dancy moves, good with some liquid added in beerchug

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Sry if you guys didnt understand, but its like doing straight arm moves, only one arm is straight and the other hand has to stay on that arm and NEVER leave your body and arms.(roll around from a 5bt to another on same or opposite arms) It feels real good tongue and its super fun even without the continuous recoil wraps, though all you legends out there that have the standard 5bt spiders down, and have some decent wraps should try it.(NYC) Youll be surprised at the awsome effects. eek

For all you other people who still dont understand it need to see some on video. Dantana has some good clead stuff. But for a basic description, try doing weaves and keeping 1 arm on you body(or other arm) the whole time and then extend 1 arm "giant". After you get that, you should be able to learn how to get the "snakey" recoil tracers happening. peace

Oh yea, Musashi is right about the dancing, which is what makes these moves different from standard/ high tech spining moves.

(Actuall its not a true snake, because u have to let go off the chain to get one of those ay Pele wink )

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
No you don't have to be doing straight arm, but... a) it's not as visually obvious what you're doing and b) it's harder lol.

I'm not sure that any straight arm moves can't be done normally and vice versa.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ok, just to clear up a few things,

there are about three diffrent things called contact poi, and im gonna list em.

1: contact poi, called so by dragon and dantanna, inacuratly called 'extensions' by others (innacurate because extensions dont have to be contact)

2: contact poi that really means suicides and tracers, letting the poi slide over your body, either by pulling or with thier own weight.

3: contact poi refering to the contact juggling move 'butterfly' where the poi is thrown and the head caught on the back of the hand and played with like a contact ball.

i recon we should call the first 'body poi' as it dosnt have to be extended, it just has to have a hand/s touching the body.

as for the other two, they can fight it out....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I second that motion. biggrin

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
sounds good to me...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i reckon 'short-arm' or 'no-arm' are good names for this stuff, seeing as it's the opposite of 'long-arm' moves.

(i've also been calling them Poindexters, but that only applies to keeping hands in contact with the head...)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Sooo long since i started this thread... reminiscing on old school moves which reminded me of this smile Hopfully peoples have got some new variations and ideas to share REGARDLESS OF THE NAME!

TTN kontact into weaves and back out again! woohooo

Hopfully get a clip up in here sometime smile

Anyone else got some new stuff?

Sry cant change the title, i lost my old login... shrug

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]

ok, just to clear up a few things,

there are about three diffrent things called contact poi, and im gonna list em.

1: contact poi, called so by dragon and dantanna, inacuratly called 'extensions' by others (innacurate because extensions dont have to be contact)

2: contact poi that really means suicides and tracers, letting the poi slide over your body, either by pulling or with thier own weight.

3: contact poi refering to the contact juggling move 'butterfly' where the poi is thrown and the head caught on the back of the hand and played with like a contact ball.

i recon we should call the first 'body poi' as it dosnt have to be extended, it just has to have a hand/s touching the body.

as for the other two, they can fight it out....

T wave

I agree; the first works as body poi and the other two could be classed together - i.e. the contact-juggling-poi-move is one of the very very many moves/tricks you can catagorize under the family contact poi

Definitions for families of moves are always troublesome, but I think what I generally take as meaning contact poi is 'the manipulation of the poi without gripping it' - this for me encompasses all variations of using different body parts/the other poi etc. It maybe controversial, but I also think of whip catches and suicides as being contact moves.

And BTW how did you not come up with [Old link] in your search?? It has the same name as your thread! confused

smiles smile

Lx

Edit: just read the date on the first post. My thread didn't exist then, I guess that's a pretty good reason for not finding it in a search redface
EDITED_BY: elasta (1115650302)

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]

I won't suggest glowstick freehanding as 4. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
TY! NYC wink ubblol

Written by:

REGARDLESS OF THE NAME!

Sry Elasta smile You missed the part when we had a debate about the names, where everyone got pissed and droped the subject totally. shrug I thought it had blown over so i bumped this thread to try and keep the moves alive. Hav'nt seen anyone do this on vid in ages!

When i started this thread the was no "contact poi" well the name hadn't been established and it only made sence. (i dont want to start ANOTHER pissing contest about names here). Now quite afew people still refer to the moves in this thread as "contact". A name is just a name.

Like i said i CANT change the name of the title cause i lost my old log in and the mods have stoped people from editing thread names frown

Im actually combining both :

Written by:

2: contact poi that really means suicides and tracers, letting the poi slide over your body, either by pulling or with thier own weight

And releasing without throwing (snakes as it was called by Pele)

Like i said i dont care what its called... a name is a name but a move is infinite.

/me waits for inevitable "i think we should call it " ubbloco

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
DJ Dantana > Nice to hear you again :]. You have "trick list", waaaa :].

light , :R

POI THEO(R)IST

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Loz

Definitions for families of moves are always troublesome, but I think what I generally take as meaning contact poi is 'the manipulation of the poi without gripping it' - this for me encompasses all variations of using different body parts/the other poi etc. It maybe controversial, but I also think of whip catches and suicides as being contact moves.

Agreed agreed and thrice agreed.

Anything that doesn't involve gripping with the fingers yet still manipulating the poi from some form of contact is contact poi. It's a big family, and well loved ubblove

ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
OMG Dantana just sent me an all "bodypoi" fire vid!
I wonder if i should post it?

Dunc I AM relesing the poi, in wraps. Snakes. (not club snakes another move totally)

Is anybody else going to post ideas about moves? Enough with the defnitions already...make with the moves :P smile

I love the flow, the effects and the way you have to move throught the 5bt. OMG keeping it in plane is killah and timing is even harder.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so.
i've just pinched an idea from fluffy napalm fairy and run with it:
100mm stage ball on a swivel and string, and, tadaa! 'real' contact poi wink

body rolls and everything, including a couple of successfully caught 'kelvins' (elbow balance to elbow balance)

i know dom and i played with this a little a while back, but i don't think we(read 'I') got anywhere cause we (again 'I') was crap at contact...

tehee...
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
again - tongue

this is becoming a recurring theme.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
when was the last time you saw kev rob...?

he's got yellow stage ball poi as you describe.

not contact with those but spinning those and placing/throwing'n'catching two more yellow stage balls.

its crazyness i tell ya.

dragon - i haven't been playing with this kind of thing since before this thread was even started so i have no moves to list other than the ones in my first post here. sorry wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er. quite recently? like, this year in january i think.

and yes, i saw him playing looooads with those. , but its not contact i tell ya.

wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: