Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > so what next for a poi person???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
hello peeps,
well the problem is i can do most of the beginner+intermedate stuff ie weave (forwards+backwards) figure of 8 thread the needle (only forwards) where to next? i looked at some of the advanced tricks ie 5 beat weave but it seems way above my level need some insight from some true masters. Can any body help?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
its hard to determin what you want to learn by your post, what you want to learn is up to you people are entering the poi community now knowing nothing and then fast become advanced in their abillities because there are really talented people out there that lend a hand, back when some of us were learning there were maybe one or two people around and all around the same abilities, now its all gone mad and every one is getting too damn good in such short spaces it took us damn ages to get ot those levels.

so for you the next possible steps you could take is learning what you can do with the moves you can already do.

transitions between the moves learning stops, stalls, wraps, adding extra beats thats still only basic stuff though can mess with your head a little.

then its onto more advanced stuff like behind the back weaves and butterflies and such.

depends on your eagerness to learn moves, meeting others in person to help each other to learn.

for visual aids, you can goto the video section and spend some time downloading all the quality videos that are linked up here on HoP, [plug pk and mineiro's videos] dj dantana, tempests they are all damn good videos of quality spinners. you will probably learn a whole heap from watching them all. if you want to feel sickend watch the videos by Meenik.

any way welcome and i hope we can help you more.

be kewl

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
keep trying the 5 beat weave, i know it seems like you are never gonna do it, but if you keep going for it, just let the poi get tangled... and evetually you will work out the movements to keep the poi separate, or thats how i learnt it, and i was at the stage you say you are not that long ago.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
cheers for the help ive started to go down to the PIP in london, 5beat aghhh it just does not seem to work for me oh well with a little bit of tangled wrists and alot of time i will get it, as for the varations on the moves i know any suggestions cheers peeps

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
dont worry about the five beat too much, its not that good a trick, the only time i use it now is with weird iso/hyperloop stuff, which is waaaay ahaead anyway

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
you could always turn to the dark side and take up staff!
c'mon, the first one's free!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
well if their is a free staff going....... i had a go at staff its fun but i just got devil sticks for my birthday no i guess that is my next toy are any of you people from PIP?? london.
now devil sticks they are truly hard to get the hang of..

Boneyardmember
22 posts

Posted:
The five beat is easy if you give it a shot with poi that are a little longer and a little heavier than you are used too. I think with lighter poi, you have to spin them so fast to keep them going that you are unable to really focus on the proper form.

After that, just do the basic moves (butterfly, weave, windmills), and practice transitioning. I can do the butterfly family for ever, and people seem to be impressed (which amazes the hell out of me), simply because I move around with it and make exagerated motions with my arms. You know, toss some wiered beats into a mexican wave or something. Although experienced poi spinners will see that you are just doing simple moves, they too can appreciate good showmanship.

A witty saying proves nothing.- Voltaire (1694-1778)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
where to next?
STAFF!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
well mabie i will give staff a second chance can any body explain wraps i keep hearing about them

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
forget sticks - they're all solid and the two ends are always 180deg apart.
its a bit like poi but without the variation...

*ducks incoming fire sticks used as spears*

wraps you definitely can't do with sticks though.
a wrap is just what it says - you stick something in the way of the poi, it wraps round it and when it unwraps it will thus be spinning in the opposite direction.
there is a wicked list of which wraps look good and where you can put them - just go to the menu at the top of the page and click on the 'wraps' option under 'free lessons'.
there's also a video somewhere of some kiddies from chicago doing crazy fast wrap combos but you'll have to find that one for yourself

when you're done there, do a search on 'thru wrap'...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by brodieman_X:
well if their is a free staff going....... i had a go at staff its fun but i just got devil sticks for my birthday no i guess that is my next toy are any of you people from PIP?? london.
now devil sticks they are truly hard to get the hang of..

Why not try meteors, they're like a cross between poi and staff, but are easy to make and fold up small for carrying. (see 'other toys' section for meteor info).

Jugglings nice as well, a few weeks initial learning curve to get the basics and then enough moves to spend a lifetime learning.

A lot of spinners also seem to like contact ball, looks really nice but is one of the hardest things to learn.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
.....and how could I forget- off road unicycling!!

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
besides, my matey, if you take up staff, you can hang out with cool people like us over in the staff forum!
:sauvely leans against the doorway, only to slide onto the wall and falls over in a mess..:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by onewheeldave:
.....and how could I forget- off road unicycling!!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh still cant get that 5 beat going my poi just wraps round my arm oh well i still have my devil sticks.........

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Gotta second Tom on that again though. Don't get too caught up on the 5 beat. Play with other stuff and try it again at a later stage. It's not that great a move really.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by brodieman_X:
aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh still cant get that 5 beat going my poi just wraps round my arm oh well i still have my devil sticks.........
Can you do the four beat? I've managed to show people how to get the four beat by using a method where you stop the poi then restart. As a five beat is the same as a four beat on both sides it may be useful.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
i will try that cheers for all yor help p any other poi trick i could work on any ideas

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
get your one handed weave/butterfly sorted out.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
cool got the one hand butterfly going but 1 hand weave is hard

dark nomadmember
1 post

Posted:
i just landed the 5 beat today and i have to say once you get the hang of it its not that tough in fact its even a little boring. now the btb chase thats a move that stumps me.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by dark nomad:
i just landed the 5 beat today and i have to say once you get the hang of it its not that tough in fact its even a little boring. now the btb chase thats a move that stumps me.
A few people have said the 5 beats not that interesting.

A good use for it is in turning as it makes the planes really solid i.e. when turning with three beat it's easy to end up not exactly 180 degrees at the completion of the turn; initiating the turn with a five beat will lock you into a solid plane (Kato and pk originally explained this to me).

To get the most out of it learn a reverse five beat as well then you can turn 360 degrees.

As well as giving more exact planes it is also visually very different and feels very different.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There are lots of uses of the five-beat weave as I've discovered - straight arm five-beat helps with moving your arms across your body, hyperloops are equivalent to the five-beat movement as are three-beat weaves with thru wraps. And then by splitting your hands while doing a five beat rather than wrapping them you can enter the world of isolated weaves

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
people tried in vain to show me but its going to be one of those things that are going to take loads of time

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
The 5 beat is good as a step towards hyperloops. Spiralx has it right. I don't do the 5 beat much, but it helped me conceptualize the motion of my poi and made other moves easier to learn. (Now if I could only reverse it..)

E pluribus unum, baby.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
quote:
spiral x > And then by splitting your hands while doing a five beat rather than wrapping them you can enter the world of isolated weaves

I'm dead competant with both 5bt weave, and a few good isolations, but how the hell do you comine the two to isolate a propper weave? On which beats do you separate your hands, and does it stay isolated all the way through the weave? These isolations are turning my head inside out and I can't find a decent desscription of a fully isolated weave so if you could help me that would be cool.

WOlfie

progger

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a good start is to try to spin a 5bt weave but without your hands together touching or letting the string touch you at all.

you'll notice that to do this, you have to slightly isolate the poi in the hand that usually would wrap underneath the other wrist.

that is as much as i know about teaching isolated weaves. i'll try harder when i can do them properly...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
What he said The isolated weave involves being able to thread isolations between outer and inner isolations and learning to do the five-beat without touching will start to help there. Gah it's hard to explain.

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
hello all i figured ot the 5 beat finally (horray) thanks for all your help trying to figure the reverse 5 beat now...........

Page: