Page:
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
well.... to start with im not sure ive posted this in the right place. ok my question, do you spin super fast or super slow or something in the middle? whats best? i tend to go slow, so i dont get knackerd, if im spinnning in front of people i tend to go a little faster though, but not to fast as when i go really fast i allways end up tangled up.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

hollymember
61 posts

Posted:
totally depends on my mood. if im in a club..fast but not too fast that i loose all control.
slower if im in my garden. also depends on the music i have on. as the music changes/builds up etc... my speed changes.
oh and the amount of energy i have ..but if im knacked i cant poi atall i try..and i want to..but my body wont let me

Never doubt that a small group of crusties, activists, and politicos can change the world... in fact, it's the only thing that ever does ;-)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Just do the weave fast." -NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I tend to spin very slowly for the following reasons: -

If you perfect a move slowly it's fairly easy to to it fast

It facilitates large body movement and stretches i.e. low stances, yoga/tai chi postures and flowing movement

Virtually eliminates danger of pain/stroke injury, even when using heavy poi

Uses less energy/sweat

Of course there's good things about speed as well i.e. body conditioning, cardiovascular fitness, looks impressive.

The most impressive fast spinning I've seen was Kato whose moves/planes always seemed spot on however fast he went.

I remember at the last Sheffield pip he came to, he lent my water meteors, which have heavy cups of water on the end (no lids, water's kept in purely by centrifugal force) and proceeded to do poi moves at a speed which I would never have attempted for any price.

I guess you need a bit of both and some people are more suited to speed than slowness, but if you've never focused much on slowing down and really emphasising the stretches, weight distribution etc, I reckon it's the best way to improve your spinning.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
LOL @ NYC

and Kato has been doing nothing but fast weave for about the last year say hello if ya see him!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I think everything looks better slow (except maybe the weave).. but it's hard. I *try* to go slow.

E pluribus unum, baby.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I ahve this nasty habit of following the beats of the music and timing my speed and moves accordingly.. so I guess my speed is heavily determined by the music and the moves as I dance.. although dance is such a strong word... LOL..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
yeah, i agree with rev, i also tend to follow the beat of the music. except for when im practicing, then it varies with how tired i am and what im doing. also when spinning in public i follow that unspoken law of poi physics: the amount of speed and spectators present in a given environment is directly proportional to the amount of pain you feel when you land a double "sack tap" (or equiv for women) 'cause you messed up from going to fast.
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Whenever I show a beginner some move I generally encourage them to spend some time everyday working on getting the forward weave really slow and exagurating the body movements that go with it.

I think the ability to do a really slow weave is a fundamental and so much follows logically from it if you do it this way.

For example the transition from forward weave to turning 180 degrees into reverse weave is a total mystery to a newbie if done fast.

If approached by getting a really slow forward weave, emphasising the rolling of your shoulders and focusing on the point at the side of the weave where it starts to go to the other side of the body- by simply moving straight through that point and turning round the transition takes place of its own accord and you'll find yourself facing backwards with a reverse weave.

Slow spinning shows the logic that connects all the different moves and helps you understand that, in the main, the patterns consist of the poi following their own momentum with just minor tweaks at specific points to sustain the pattern and switch from one pattern to another.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
depends.
i use long 120cm chains, which at full length looks fantastics for slow hypnotic moves. as i change into different moves i wrap the chains around my hands to shorten them. at the start of a show i start with the big slow moves. about 3/4 thru the routine i get into a 4bt corkscrew - as i straighten into the 4bt windmill i increase the speed close to my limit, then just go psycho with speed. it sort of acts as the climatic ending of the burn.
theres much more variety available if you play with the timing.
cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I totally agree, varying the speed really adds to the effect.

I guess I emphasise the slow aspects because

a) newbies tend to only spin fast and they can really benefit from learning the slow stuff

b) anything you can do well slow can easily be done really fast

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I'd say variety is better, especially if you sync it to music.
Or doing "giant" moves really slowly and then exploding into a flurry of fast moves is quite nice I've always thought...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm with Durbs here... definitely lots of slow poi moves with lots of body movement punctuated with sudden bursts of speed for effect.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
so slow is good.... but when we say slow, so slow that the poi have nearly stopped and the strings going slack at the top of the circles? or a little faster?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well see the music can be rellay fast beat and you still spin slow too.. it depends on what beats in the music and what moves you are doing..

as far as exageratted movements.. the socks with hacky sacks in them that I pracitce with are hard to spin.. so that naturally spin really slow... (air resistance and all) and being a lot bigger they make for extremely exagerrated movements... which in turn has made my lighter and more aerodynamic poi spin with much better control... faster or slower

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
At the moment, FAST
must be the music....

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
I spin both slow and fast. I like to vary the effect. I like to spin so slow the poi are doing a free fall and then at the last moment you snap them back before they hit your body. Or hover them in the air right above your head and just before they fall, Wam! pull them in tight. Fast. Then Duck. Fast.

I like the weave slow, am I the only one? I also like to do some nice hypnotic slow moves and then shoot the folks watching a look of "here it comes" kinda like a little pixie getting ready to cause some real fun, and then spin them as fast as I possibly can.

Yah know just for fun...

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
so the consensus seems to be that slow is good, and fast is also good. i'm glad that's sorted out.

Now... is it better to spin clockwise or anitclockwise

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Backwards!!!!!

Ping

Bams

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by simian:

Now... is it better to spin clockwise or anitclockwise

clockwise if your in the southern hemisphere, anticlockwise if your in the northern, or somthing like that

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Pong! cant belive it lasted that long!

was havigna rare spin with tails the other day, found they could go *really* slow, felt like underwater poi!

and bams, yer totally wrong, its widdershins!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive now started to play with moves that have a slow/fast transition. one which looks pretty cool is the basic 3bt weave - on left side (im a lefty) as the left poi spins on the left side extend your arm and do a slow big loop, while doing an extra beat with your right poi (on left side, with arms bent as in normal weave) if you time it right, your big slow left poi loop can cross your body into the normal 3 bt weave with the right arm following.
hope ive explained that well.
cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
quote:

was havigna rare spin with tails the other day, found they could go *really* slow, felt like underwater poi!
OOOOOOooooo underwater poi! Now that sounds like something i've got to try

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
How would NYC say it - "compensate for lack of style with speed"

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Mostly I spin with what I'm comfortable with. If I feel like spinning fast I'll spin it fast and when I wanna go slow well you get my point. Mostly though I'd have to say I'm somewhere in the middle of fast and slow. All depends on what your comfortable with.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:
i guess everyone has there own styles so i'll say its the speed you feel like and what you confortable with, that's what i do!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

robocowmember
2 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
I must refer my flatmate to this post
I must refer my flatmate to a chainsaw.

That was fun. Can you put me out now?

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
lit up i tend to go slow...and for variety i go fast...just kind flow with them flame...but while spinning glowsticks or electropoi, like at a club or party i usualy go super fast, and go slow for variety...

posi vegan straight edge

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
harder the trick the slower i go coz the chances of a mess up are less, but for effect on a well learnt trick, HYPER DRIVE BABY!!!!!!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Page: