Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > more than one poi to a hand

Login/Join to Participate

daxxGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
I have been playing around with one handed, doubled poi. My poi have dual handles (2 seperate loops) so I mearele loop one handle onto each piece. I've found a few tricks thast are neat and easy to perform, one i call the nucleus, which goes as followed:

do a weave, but only with one hand. both of your poi on one had. do a weave. instead of letting the weave carry back over to the other side, allow them to tangle, then reverse the motion. if done properly, your poi will swin on a irregular parallelogram , and when you get that down it's time for a second set in your other hand.

i have a secone one, i call mincing, because the way the poi are spun, you end up creating one handed butterfly that tangles your chain with each beat. you then reverse the motion, with a very hard flourish, and carry te poi's momentum over to your other side. the poi, being nealy completely entangled, will gracefully disentangle, creating a pinwheel of fire. it also looks really easy to do.

if anyone has any other one handed tricks for me, pt em here

this is the dawninng of a new world order.. what is your place within it?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Daxx,

I have no idea what you are on about, but im intreuged. Are you joining you poi together so that they become metior? (one chain, two weights, one at either end)

When you say the poi wrap round, round what? each other? the hand? What the hell is an irregular paralellogram? one that isnt parralel?

With the one hand butterfly, and you saying you go from forwards to backwards with a flick of the wrist? inpressive! and they a bf hyperloop behind?

Please explain, I do lots of one handed poi so i should be able to get a handle on it....

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
One suggestion...

One handed butterfly on the right, one handed split time butterfly on the left. Should give you a quad intersecting butterfly which would look kinda sweet.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Actually, I thought you were talking aboug using two sets of double poi. I still think you should try my move out though

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to do these with my tennis ball poi for a while but its hard. Does the weight from using chains help you do the move?

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
and whilst were talking about one handed moves - can anyone pass a one handed butterfly behind their body - transfer it to the other hand and bring it round to the front again?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
is possible....

would go forward bf infront --> Backward bf behind --> forward bf behind --> backward bf infront

just for referance.

T :talkingheads:

-><- Kallisti

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by will_uk:
and whilst were talking about one handed moves - can anyone pass a one handed butterfly behind their body - transfer it to the other hand and bring it round to the front again?
There's a guy called bad who often hangs out on Devonshire Green (Sheffield).

He's very good with poi and a few months back I introduced him to meteors; today I bumped into him and he showed me a two hand out of synch butterfly with meteors, then took away one hand and did a 360 one handed butterfly turn.

Could also do the move will_uk is talking about i.e. pass a one handed butterfly round back, acroos front and into the other hand, but with meteors.

Meteors are very good for one handed stuff and, once learnt, the moves can easily be applied to poi.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
cool. I'm glad to hear it can be done

I think I'm going to give it a go learning it. See you all next millenium...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sorry to interrupt...

quote:
Originally posted by +):
forward bf infront --> Backward bf behind --> forward bf behind --> backward bf infront
whats the difference between a fwd bf and a rev bf when you are using just one hand please?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
umm, it goes in the opposite direction?

I dont understand why either, but take a one handed bf, put it in the other hand and youll see what I mean.

T

-><- Kallisti

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
do you mean reverse as in behind your back with your hand upside down? Cos that would make sense.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
You can see how it happens if you do a (2 handed) b-fly to behind the head b-fly, and then turn around rather than bring it back over your head... you end up with your arms crossed and have to do a bit of ttn to get them back into a normal reverse b-fly type movement.

--Ben

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
ok there are absolutely stacks of one handed moves including one handed hyperloops.

One handed hyperloops are done by doing one handed three beat weave. Then using the free hand place a finger in front of one of the poi halfway down to make it tangle. Then cross to the other side with the finger still in the middle to untangle.

Also one handed full waistwraps can be done just by swapping hands btb.

Try onehanded split time butterfly turns. If you keep turning then the poi tangle and the butterfly gets smaller, its quite funky. Turn the other way to untangle.

I will be back with more one handed moves

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Too right mate, it's the way forward. I've been experimenting with that for a little while, but not properly. How about two on the other hand, therefore 4 paths of fire. The best I've done is two on one hand and a two wick fire chain on the other. That was hardcore.

Take the power back