Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > thread the needle....*sigh*

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
i had a lil search before posting this so sorry if there is already a thread on this somewhere out there;

ok this is a bit lame but erm... i just cant get thread the needle at all. everything else is fine except for this one. any tips ppl ?

you're a naughty potato!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Do I really want to say this? Ug.. what the hell here goes.

If it's split time, it's going to have to be an odd number of beats. 3 is easy, 5 if you're cool, 7 if you're crazy. Can't do 6. Videotape yourself and then count.

I promise. You can even ask Dom.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Depends how you count !!!!
( ok ok . I already stop)

Or you just cold do 5 left and 7 right to have 6

-> So it would be a 7 beat behind the head split time thread the needle ! Still possible

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
no doubt i've been havin a helluva time with TTN..
it did seem to make a bit more sense in rev's explanation of keeping your hands close together. Either way, this one is tough. Now if I could just get the stupid hyperloop and 5bt weave i'll be set

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
hey people

i can pull off the ttn, yet i realize i always have to cross my arms a lot so as not to entangle the chains. it looks cool enuf, but i still cant figure out how to do any variations of it.

like how to add more beats is beyond me

and what the hell is the potato thing?

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
An fairly easy variation is to bring the TTN up until it's holizontal. Kinda like slowly reaching for the sky as you're threading the needle.

Another nice one is if you're right poi is clsest too your head at the top to reach over your left shoulder with the right poi on the next beat, then back to ttn with right poi closest, then another normal beat of ttn so your left poi is closest to your head at the top, then reach across behind your right shoulder with your left poi......if that makes any sense at all

If you want to learn the 4 beat you can try do a search I think there's at least 2 threads (probably more) but there's also a video here...
look further down on pk's first post

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
oooooookkkkk, well im probably gonna sound very silly here..... i spent a long time learning thread the needle forewards but i then looked in reflection when i was doing it and it was like, it looks like a butterfly... so ive never botherd to learn it in reverse? is there something special about ttn that hasnt been explained to me?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
Mr sheep, thanx for the tip. i tried the over the opposite shoulder thing, but i keep whipping up my hair at the back of my head, and i inevitably mess up with the left hand.

also tried on the ceiling plane, but its tricky as timing must be near perfect and when not perfect the heads come slamming into my cheek and eye...pain

but ill keep trying. another thing i was wondering (although it has nothing to do with this thread) is how to keep planes clean in butterflies. i mean its easy with fwd and reverse, but when i try in the wall plane they go cockeyed and are near impossible to switch to the opposite side without entanglement.how does one keep the planes clean and stay clean when switching?

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
When you're doing the horizontal one it helps to exaggerate the movement (sliding your hand down the opposite forearm).

For the one behind the opposite shoulder make sure you can do all the movements with each hand, one hand at a time first.

To keep the planes straight on the side plane butterflies just keep practising There's no trick to it, in my opinion just practice

Oli, I know what you're saying about the TTN looking like a butterfly but it is very important to learn all moves forwards and backwards. It'll mean you can freely move around without thinking and worry about avoiding moves you can't do. Also it often opens up moves you wouldn't have known possible before.

For example you need to me able to do TTN forwards and backwards to learn all the butterflyweaves. Also if you can't do a backwards TTN then you won't be able to learn the 4 beat ttn, which is great. It also kina looks like a butterfly but 100 times cooler. In general you're limiting yourself by not learning everything you can.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
practise practise practise

seems to be the only way to achieve anything in this world. i can pull off the rev ttn, looks wierd, and i looked up this vid of the four beat ttn. it looks impossible, but im starting to get it.

what is a butterfly weave? sounds like something fantabulous

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
practise practise practise

seems to be the only way to achieve anything in this world. i can pull off the rev ttn, looks wierd, and i looked up this vid of the four beat ttn. it looks impossible , but im starting to get it.

what is a butterfly weave? sounds like something fantabulous
TELL ME TELL ME

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yup they can indeed be fantabulous (<--one of my favourite words by the way). If you can do a butterfly and a reverse butterfly it involves bouncing straight from one 2 the other but instead of in front an behind you it's on your left and right hand sides. This is the easiest of them in my opinion. If you do a do a search you'll find loads of threads fully explaining them with tips and stuff...

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
butterfly weaving is SOO much fun... although there are some people that will chastize you for even claiming that you can "butterfly weave.." a seeming contradiction in terms...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Exodus17member
12 posts

Posted:
what is a butterfly weave?

and how the hell do you pull off a 4beat ttn?

are there videos somewhere?

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Does TTN actually look good or is it just for butterfly weave? I can do it but I've never seen myself doing it?????

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Exodus17member
12 posts

Posted:
yea ttn looks good...

i saw a dude doin one while on his knees laying back on the groun doing it upwards.. it was cool.. the pic for it is awesome, i got it as my desktop lol.. good trails

www.angelfire.com/electronic2/exodus17/S3500020.JPG

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
TTN itself looks excellent, I think. Especially when you're just leaning back a bit and sloooooowly stretching your arms through the fire up at the sky.

(And I learned how to do it, finally! The potato game still bewilders me, but that's okay.)

E pluribus unum, baby.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I also like wraping one arm from an above the head TTN which puts you in corkscrew.

And if somehow regyt and I get sucked into a paralel dimention where we actually can exist in the same place at the same time.... I'll show you the potato thing.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
if reverse TTN is so crucial, why isn't it in the free lessons section...i would VERY much like to see a video for it....i can do a normal TTN like nothing, but reverse doesn't make any sense...even an explanation on which arm goes where and when would be VERY helpful.thanx

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
good hell.....someone PLEASE read my last post and respond to it

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
reverse TTN just 'feels' weird to me, its awkward to keep the timeing. With "normal" TTN when I push forward its generally down and forward which gives me some contact with my other wrist to base its position off of. Reverse you are pulling up and away which kind of cuts that contact off and my hands tend to drift a bit.. maybe i'm just on crack...

I do love throwing in simple wraps and such though, for example, pull one arm out and do a forearm wrap, throw a beat behind your head, rewrap your forarm to get the direction right and go back into your TTN

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Imagine doing forward thread the needle while standing on your head. Now put your head where your feet are.

If you do a push through on before you wrap the top of your arm doing forward TTN then Rvs you do the push through before you wrap the under side of your arm. If you can do a rvs butterfly that should make sense. If you can't learn that first.

There's really nothing more to it than upside down forward TTN. You'll be far more likely to get it playing yourself (observing your forward TTN and trying to use the same technique) than any more decription than that really.

And yes it is a very important move, me thinks...

smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
moses - perhaps this might help. Start doing a forward TTN and do a 180 degree turn and you'll be doing reverse. Just remember that during the turn your arms just carry on as before; it's the change in your body's direction that turns it into a reverse TTN.

Whereas the fwd TTN involves you moving your hands back and over the other arm in the reverse one each hand moves back and under - it can help also to exaggerate this scooping motion to begin with smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i find fwds thread the needle of a higher weirdness calibre than backwards, maybe because up until about 2 months ago i thought backwards butterfly was forewards and visa versa, because i learnt backwards first for some reason....

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Valentinemember
2 posts

Posted:
hay i have a realy good tip for you. U no when u come back up from crossing over one arm? shrug the arm that comes back up realy high. they will not hit
onec u get that down u can do it withh less shruging

Valentine ubblove

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Try to think of forwards TTN as Inwards

and Backwards TTN as Outwards

Otherwise it gets really confusing when you turn.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
holy crap i FINALLY got it...WOOHOO!! it serioulsy has taken me like 3 months...it seems so easy now.....bah!

Page: