Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > thread the needle....*sigh*

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
i had a lil search before posting this so sorry if there is already a thread on this somewhere out there;

ok this is a bit lame but erm... i just cant get thread the needle at all. everything else is fine except for this one. any tips ppl ?

you're a naughty potato!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
one potato
two potato
three potato
four.

thats what glass and hells bells i think were on about....cant figure out how it realates tho..

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
And it works too

Hels was having so much trouble getting the reverse TTN Ohhh boy it got her sooo mad .
The one day Mr Glass sat her down or perhaps she fell over , then showed her the one potatoe game. From that day on Hels has been able to do the move .....plus many many more now

Good luck honey

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
the potatoes never fail!

reverse ttn would be 4 potato, 3 potatoe, 2 potato.... until you get into big negative numbers in which case you might want to stop counting 'cos you'll tangle up trying to work out what comes next

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ohh and Square could I please have mine roasted me likes them roasted

Bammy

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
::blink::

Maybe I'm being slow, but... how does counting potatos help? And why count them backwards just because you're going reverse (if that is the reason), Dõm?

E pluribus unum, baby.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i don't think it works in america guys...

regyt - just give yourself constant 'pounds' for the ttn. upward pounds for rev ttn...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Me nothing new there then

Bammy

igimember
15 posts

Posted:
i learnt this last week - let me try and explain - i doubt this will be very clear though.

Assuming you can do the forwards butterfly.

Whilst in the Butterfly, as the poi in my right hand is coming round to the top of its circle, i move my right hand forward (away from my body) and in front of my left hand.

Then as the right poi is coming down i move my right hand back towards the elbow of my left arm (the right hand stays to the right of my left arm all the time)

Then it is a case of sliding my right hand down my left arm so that by the time the right poi is back at the top of its circle, my right hand is back in front of my left hand again.

The left hand does exactly the same just in reverse of above.

Hope that helps somewhat - its so difficult to learn a trick from reading a description - i usually learn new tricks by watching others where possible.

igi

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives.</i]

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Then after that, try the double TTH, at least that is what I call it. Do the TTH and the forward hand spins twice instead of once. Great effect with fire and glows.

(cheers)

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
The arm motion you're going for with TTN looks like pulling back the string on a bow and arrow.

Begin with a butterfly. As your swing starts to come down, thrust your left hand straight out from your body while over and past your right hand, then pull the right back into that "bow and arrow" -type position. Allowing your wrists to cross a little keeps your poi from tangling. As your poi reaches the top of their arch, thrust your right hand out past your left like before, pulling the left back. One thread-the-needle (ttn) is complete.

Remember to start slow and try to keep your hands and arms close together from the elbow down. Adding a little bounce when you switch your arms helps too.

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by The United Chains of Fire (Jon):
one potato
two potato
three potato
four.

he, he I get to quote jon quoting me....
wooooh

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
glass - and it so works!!!

Do American's not play the potato game them?

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think thats an english thing miss bells...

they play hot potato.

and they call chips 'fries' and crisps 'chips' which i swear is their attempt at a 'mind game'

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
coleman: he thinks too much

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Yeah they're a funny bunch aren't they!

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its true ain't it

as for thread the needle tips, i sometimes teach it using the giant butterfly:

do a butterfly.
then do a giant butterfly.
got those? cool.

back to a normal butterfly then.
now, with the hand that is slightly underneath (lets say the left), do a full arm circle (a giant butterfly but just with one arm) and aim to hit the forearm of the right arm with the forearm of the left as it comes downwards.
before you hit that forearm, do a full arm circle with just your right arm (leaving your left spinning normal sized circles in its normal place for the bf).
aim for your left forearm with your right as it comes downwards.

repeat and that's a giant thread the needle.

if you gradually make your full arm circles smaller and exaggerate the forwards and backwards motion of the arms, the ttn will be yours to treasure, forever.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
this move is the bane of my existence... I can't get it to save my life... I'm goann have to track down a poi person somewhere close to me and try and get them to teach me.. because no matter how many ways I read or vids I watch I just can't seem to get it...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
oh i am SO glad other ppl find it hard too one potato two potato does sound helpful as also igis explanation, thankyou! will go and have a play and report back hehe

you're a naughty potato!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
rev & square, i hear your pain, dudes! still can't thread any needles to save me life!
all this talk of potatoes are making me feel starchy though

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok I found a vid link (in a thread somewhere lost lost to me at this time) to someone doing a 4 beat TTN, Rev 4 beat TTN, and it ends with the stalls to change direction...
whomever made this vid.. thanks...

I must have watched it like 6 times back to back and then went played and got it...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.. it took me all of 15 minutes to learn it from this vid after months of not being able to do a regular TTN....

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Rev, please try to find that video again! I don't understand potatos or pounds and can't seem to get ttn on my own..

E pluribus unum, baby.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well I ahve it on my puter... so shoot me an message on aol : revtheraver yahoo: raver4202000
icq: 96615677 and I'll send it to ya... I found the link in the section where morning coffee, and what not are listed I believe... but I can't remember I surfed around a lot of vid links in here... but like I said before the camera is straight on the guy.. he does it forward, the reverse... then closeup of his hands.. forward.. and rev... then he does the stalls.. all 4 beat..

basically watch his hand movements to get an idea of how to spiral them around each other... it was very reminiscent of doing a butterfly to giant butterlfy and back almost as far as motions go.. but don't let me confuse ya.. just hit me up and I'll send you the vid..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's just me but I think there might be some confusion between people talking about 4 beat TTNs and others talking about normal ttn.

Although I haven't seen it I though the video was a 4 bt and Coleman's directions are really good for the standard one.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
the video is a 4 beat...
and yes I could not do a 2 beat... BUT
I can now do a 4 bt TTN...
sometimes the harder stuff is easier... for instance I do 5 bt weaves, but have trouble with 3 bts... so I don't really use them much.. and the 4 bt vid taught me how to spiral the poi around each other without much movement forward and back.. which is great for me since EVERYONE that I've seen do a TTN pulls their arm back along the other in a bow like motion.. and I don't do that when I TTN... I don't like to exagerate my movements...and all you need to TTN is to pull it behind the wrist and forward in front of the hand.. not back to the elbows or nothing.. and this 4 bt vid shows that pretty well..

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
try it with one poi first, if you cant get it with one, youll never get it with two...

hold it in one hand with the other arm straight out in front of you

start doing a regular butterfly motion with the one poi (not an actual butterfly since you only have one poi)

now, assuming you have the poi in your right hand

when the poi is at the leftmost point in its circle pull it towards you along your straight arm, til about your elbow

then push the poi forward again

and you have the motions for TTN with one hand

switch to the other hand when you have it good in the first, then when both are together try it with two poi and you should do it fine

good luck

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
TTN was the latest one I learnt.....
It troubled me because I can do most of the other moves backward and behind the back...and then there was the elusive TTN. It'll come.....I found checking out the lessons section helped alot. Just watch the hands closely in the vid and keep trying.!! Good luck!

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev:
I found the link in the section where morning coffee, and what not are listed I believe... but I can't remember I surfed around a lot of vid links in here... but like I said before the camera is straight on the guy.. he does it forward, the reverse... then closeup of his hands.. forward.. and rev... then he does the stalls.. all 4 beat..

basically watch his hand movements to get an idea of how to spiral them around each other... it was very reminiscent of doing a butterfly to giant butterlfy and back almost as far as motions go.. but don't let me confuse ya.. just hit me up and I'll send you the vid..

so thats where all my bandwidth went to this month, every one is trying to learn this damn TTN stuff huh! oh well hope the vid helps some of you guys.... no difference really between TTN and the 4 beat TTN, other than just letting your hands travel a little further round to get the extra beats.

if a TTN is a head ****.... what is a BTB TTN? or BTH TTN<<< gonna lean these 4 beat no i think!

enjoy....

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hey man.... I right clicked and d/l and have been im'ing to everyone that has hit me up for it... I didn't even post the link...

so its not completely my fault your bandwith is gone....

*runs and hides in the corner cackling insanely*
My evil plan is running its course.. muwahahaha..
pretty soon noone will have bandwith and we will all be able to do cool moves..

yashyamember
25 posts

Posted:
counting potatoes...
that's GENIUS!
oh wow!
i'm in awe!

... learn to swim ...

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Tought a friend TTN yesterday and he said that keeping the hands close together was the key for him . . .

And Grand-Master PK :
quote:
if a TTN is a head ****.... what is a BTB TTN? or BTH TTN<<< gonna lean these 4 beat no i think!

didnt you forget the 6 beat split-time TTN BTH ?? Possible though

Page: