Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Moves easier to learn when done faster?

Login/Join to Participate

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I haven't been at poi for very long but I'm beginning to notice that I find it easier too do moves when I spin faster. I don't mess up as much and I hit myself less. Anyone else find it easier to do things fast?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I find it easier to do certain moves when spun faster, like 4 beat butterflies. Its easier to LEARN at slower speeds, IMO, as you can see what you need to work on in form.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
When your not familar with the way poi move you need to force them to go where you want rather then just gently direct them, I guess. I find when I am learning new moves I tend to do them really fast. It helps if you use tails sometimes. This way you can pull harder to make the poi go where you want but they don't go as fast.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the slower you do a move the more time you have to direct and make sure your hands are doing the movement. therefore the faster = harder to learn.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the faster the poi is moving, the more angular momentum it will have.
by the same token, the heavier the poi heads are, the more ang mom they will have too.

what does this mean? the higher the angular momentum, the more force is required to change the angle of rotation.

in normal speak, this means the faster you spin, the less likely the poi are to change plane.

some of the best advice i ever got was to learn to spin as slowly as is possible.
everything will be 10 times harder but the improved control it gives you is second to none.

generally if you can spin well slowly, you can spin fast.
unfortunately the same isn't true the other way round...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
alla this business about angular momentum is the torque of the towne!
:shudders @ self:
hey if extra momentum helps some people, then hey, great!
with momentum forces:
Work = distance X time
so if you want another increase in 'work' and hence momentum, then the alternative is a heavier poi head, at any speed .

Warp 9 please, Mr Worf!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I did some poi today and slowed it down. Maybe I was just doing something wrong over the last few days but now I'm getting close to being able to do a 2 beat weave and I couldn't come close the other day.
Disregard that 2 beat thing it was almost a figure 8. I was just confused at the time.

[ 09. July 2003, 13:55: Message edited by: Achluophobia ]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Spinning slowly is a good thing to aspire to, as coleman says,if you can spin well slowly, you'll be able to spin fast- the reverse isn't true.

I do find that if it's a move I can't do properly, I tend to speed up; like Astor says you can then 'force' the move to work.

I've got so much into slow spinning with both meteors and poi that I hardly ever spin fast any more.

I find that the moves are a lot more meaningful when done very slowly; as in Tai Chi you get a greater awareness of how the impetus for the moves originates from the hips/feet and is channelled through the body before reaching the poi.

It also emphasises that you actually follow the natural momentum of the poi, the more skilled you get, the less energy you actually put in.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
not sure if this is what anyone else has experienced but if you spin faster as in a lot faster, in some cases it is easier to see patterns as you can effectivley take a step back and 'focus' on the overall more.

For me this only really works with double staff transitions but it does help.

That said, a slow accurate spin has more merit for learning anything.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What everyone else said...

Or maybe I'll summarise...

It's EASIER to spin fast so you don't hit yourself.

This is not learning, however, it's compensating for precision with brute force. Like kicking a soccer ball as hard as you can at the goal, instead of directing it where the goalie can't get to.

There is also a different set of muscles and forces at play during high speed, so if you want to progress faster, slow down the speed.

As already aluded to, the heavier your poi, the less speed you will need to maintain their paths.

In my opinion, of course.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
That slow spinning thing really works. I've actually improved quite a bit over the last few days by twirling slower.
Thanks.