Page:
fire queenmember
10 posts

Posted:
hi
i have just got back for the glastonbury festival and was speeking to some people bout 5, 7, and 9 beat moves (weaves) and i cant seem to do the 5 beat anybody got sum tips?
also on the behind the back weave
thanx
firequeen

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do a search and you'll find some hints on cracking the 5 beat. There's a video of a 7 beat in Glass' staff video, and I've only ever seen one person do a proper 9 beat weave (although messy) and that was me The key there is to supergle the poi handles onto your fingernails

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
anything more then 5 looks shitty.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Until you can do them smoothly. Then everything over a nine looks shitty.

fire queenmember
10 posts

Posted:
thanx

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
when learning the 5b weave, do a 4b but with a thru wrap then when you have that pinned simply move your hand out of the way before the thru wrap and you get a 5b weave w/o wraps

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

haggismember
2 posts

Posted:
Em, i just got pois a while ago and i just swing them in the park to myself - how do i learn some moves - and whats all this 5 beat stuff? im a beginner...

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
a five beat is when one poi does five beats or movements before starting again, look in the lessons section of this site, it taught me alot

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

haggismember
2 posts

Posted:
just realised there was a lessons section... cheers

fire queenmember
10 posts

Posted:
thanx for alll the help i have now mastered the 5 beat moves now im trying to do it backwards
thanx again
PS any one in the Bath (uk) area want to meet up and share tips e-mail me

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
it's not a matter of doing them smoothly it's a matter of keeping the poi far enough apart that it does'nt look like sporatic swinging.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
But sporatic swinging is my signature style. I try to incorporate 'flailing about' as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
any thing more than 13 beats is a waste of time!

can any one help me with a normal 3 beat?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
1112, this has been discussed before. Please do a search. I think it was Cole that said to de-isolate your 5 beat isolated weave and take out two beats. That should leave you with three. Unless it's an offset three. Which is ugly.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Anyone who thinks 7bts is just too much isn't doing it right..
I used to think the same thing until I worked out a 7bt that didn't wrap and didn't require any ridiculous twisting of the arms.. Now my 7bts are really smooth and the poi stay at a constant speed, length, etc..
7bts helped a lot of the crazy stuff I ahd been doing with my fountains and stuff...

and pk, I know you were probably being sarcastic, but I know that I had to go back and relearn my 2 and 3bt stuff after spinning 5's and 7's so long.. which taught me to never underestimate the basics... besides throughing a 3 bt in a 7bt or a 2 bt on a 5 bt weave is fun anyway just to keep your brain thinking.. but that goes back to knowing everything in every direction..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I'm hearing you there Rev brother!

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
hey all, I've been adding extra beats to a whole whack of moves (weave, corkscrew, windmill, blah blah blah) however, I can't seem to get the hang of reverse 5 beat weave. I can add the extra beat on one side but it always ends up swinging straight at my face or lands squarely on top of el head, thus resulting in my having to abort, further resulting in my poi getting flung across my yard.
Any tips out there? Save my poi from my unearthly rage, it's a good cause!^-^

P*L*U*R

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Deimos:
hey all, I've been adding extra beats to a whole whack of moves (weave, corkscrew, windmill, blah blah blah) however, I can't seem to get the hang of reverse 5 beat weave. I can add the extra beat on one side but it always ends up swinging straight at my face or lands squarely on top of el head, thus resulting in my having to abort, further resulting in my poi getting flung across my yard.
Any tips out there? Save my poi from my unearthly rage, it's a good cause!^-^

When learning rev 5 beat I found that I could get the extra beat on the left, but on the right I consistently hit myself in the head.

So I taught myself to hit myself in the head on the left side; sounds strange but in doing this I better appreciated what was going wrong on the right and soon I could do the extra beats on both sides.

The main thing I found was that there's a part of the move where one wrist hooks round the other and drags it across to the other side, it helps to emphasise this drag and simultaenously shift your whole body in the opposite direction.

i.e. it's not so much trying not to hit your head with the poi as shifting your self out of the way of them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Wow...that actualy makes a bunch of helpful sense, thanks!

P*L*U*R

Posted:
HI,
I live in Bath and was wondering if you knew of any fire spinning nights or any poi in th park days. Or anything along those lines, I've been doing poi for a couple of years now but still seem to have no information. Apparently there is something going on on a monday night in Queen's square i've never been, know if it's any good?
e-mail me if you know anything that's happening thanx
we8wenna@hotmail.com

Tokenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
wassup with all the fire spinners here?

Tokenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
any fire poi kids from dallas in here?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ug... I got this one.

[Puts on broken record announcer voice.]

Hello and Welcome to HoP.

Have a look around at the different forums and you'll see that everything is quite organized.

There is a "Social Chat" forum where you can ask folks questions such as "Whassup?" or "How YOU doin?"

There is an "Introductions" forum where you can tell us about yourself and find out more about us.

There's an "Events and Gatherings" section where you can post on events in your area as well as seeing other Texas gatherings.

There's a "Find others" where you can "Find others" in Dallas.

And then there's this forum. Where you can post about 'poi moves'. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
ubblolubblolubblol

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rev

Anyone who thinks 7bts is just too much isn't doing it right..
I used to think the same thing until I worked out a 7bt that didn't wrap and didn't require any ridiculous twisting of the arms..

oooo!
please explain??

i've give you a cookie but i think it'd be crushed up in the air mail... biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin weavesmiley

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
aw, they're only new, give them a chance! rolleyes

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
It seems like once you get the poi past your finger tips and can keep momentum, 7 beats become very smooth, i still prefer to wrap just the two fingers my handles are on, instead of the strings wrapping around themselves. I can thru wrap an extra revolution in rvs on both sides, the thru wrap starts opposite normal top or bottom onto arm and wraps 1.5 times and comes off like a normal thru wrap with more string on my arm. no one does this in any video even col 5.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

GandyBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

When learning rev 5 beat I found that I could get the extra beat on the left, but on the right I consistently hit myself in the head.

So I taught myself to hit myself in the head on the left side;

ubblol Brilliant

*are those my feet?!*

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Thanks Rev and Infinite, I think 7bt just dropped into place!
Any words of wisdom for rev7bt?

5bt weave rocks. It just feels so much more fluid and comfortable than 3bt-- True it does't look too flashy for the time it can take to learn, but it's a must get! biggrin

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
do you have any tips on how to do the 5bt reverse weave?

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Practise...!

I think 5 beat weaves only look different to 3 beats if you take your arms faaaaar apart during the first untwisting of hands or put in some small circles or flowers.

A 5 beat fountain seems to take forever but give it a shot if you haven't... good way of putting forward and reverse together.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

Page: