RETTWINSmember
9 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to get this move for weeks and have just been whacking myself in the head (thats what seems to happen when you mess up this move). I figured out what I was doing wrong and figured i would share it here in hopes of keeping others from hitting their forheads over and over again.
Ill explain it on the right side. What i had been doing was when it came time to twist my wrists to get that extra beat i would have the underside of my left wrist touching the topside of the right and would try to bring it over that way. I could just not get that left poi to come over to the left side (just a bunch of head hitting). What i figured out was that if i twisted my wristswith the topside of my left wrist touching the topside of the right i could twist it just a bit more, enough to get the poi over to the left side. Hope this will save some time (and brain cells) for others.
Peace, Jarrett

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glass suggested spinning it above your head, which seemed to be working for me. I got a rotation or two yesterday with long chains above my head and was able to bring it down nicely. Another day or two of practice and I'll hopefully be there...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
try this for a dilema.
I can 3b rev weave and 7 b rev weave yet i have no conception of how to programm the movements of 4,5 or 6 beat.

Am, i a freak?

Tennis

Do not procrastinate.

My cat's breath smells like catfood

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
WTF TENNIS! you are a freak!

just try count three beats instead of 4 on the opposite side pull back and you have a 5b instead of a 7b

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
tennis.... hrm... I'm tempted to say you've got counting issues but won't be so bold.

If you take a 3 beat and add an extra swing to before and after on each side you've only got a 5. Unless you are a true freak, you're not doing a 7 beat rev weave.

And to get into a 5 beat you must do a 4 on one side.

Or you're a freak.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Furthermore, to get into a 7 (something I'll never do) you must first either 6 or 5 on the other side to get the initial wrap or two. You can't go from a 3 to a 7 directly.

Again, theory that I'll never use.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
NYC?

surely if you do a 4b on one side you would have to come back to the other side and do 3 beats.

isnt this then 7 bts?

i do not doubt the poi gods, i just question.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Whoa, whoa... you got me confused with someone else. I can't actually DO any of these moves and am therefore far from a God but only pride myself with some sense of beat counting which is right slightly more than it's wrong.

As for counting weave beats, yeah... I can do that.

In order to think of beats more than 3 you need to add a 'wind' where your arms get crossed.

If you're doing a 3 beat weave all day you'll notice that going from left to right side you lead with your left poi right? Now if you wanted to turn that left side into a 4 beat you'd keep that left hand on the left side for an extra rotation and bring your right hand across to the right side first.

Now you're pretty crossed as you move to your right side (leading with right hand)..

Untwist your right hand (that's one 'beat' on your right side)
Do a standard 3 beat weave on your right side (3 poi 'beats')
BUT now allow the right hand to stay for 'beat' and get twisted again (that's another 'beat' on your right side)

UG... poorly explained... also note that I've inappropriately used the words 'beat' on purpose... it's actually strange as you are split time... I'll try again.

Three beat weave on your left side is:
Right poi
Left poi
Right poi

Then to your right side where it's:
Left poi
Right poi
Left poi

NOW... a 4 beat will never be symmetrical like that... let's take one example where you're doing a 3 beat on your left side and want to kick it up to a 4 beat on your right side...

As stated above you're coming out of a 3 beat on your left side with your left hand crossing to your right side... so it would be regular 3 beat with an extra rotation on your right side with your right hand

Right side:
Left Poi
Right Poi
Left Poi
*Right Poi (OUCH! It should be tough at first to get your arms to do this!)

Then you bring your arms which are now painfully crossed across your body and unwrap THEN do three regular rotations

Left side of body
*Left poi
Right poi
Left poi
Right poi
Now you've got an option. Either cross back over to your right in which case you're doing a 4 beat weave OR stay on your left side with your left poi and you're in a painful at first 5 beat weave.

If you want to make the above a 5 beat it should read (on your left side):
*Left poi
Right poi
Left poi
Right poi
*Left poi

And the right side would be:
*Right poi
Left poi
Right poi
Left poi
*Right poi

But note you HAD to do a 4 beat to get that arm wrapped the first time. You can't directly and simply go from a 3 to a 5.

That's my best shot.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
trust me it's a seven (and i think it looks good to!) I'm doing the 3brw And then twisting into a 5 as normal and then stalling both arms til i get to 7 and then bringing them over to the other side to untangle (3bts) and tangle (the 4bts) again.

Before you say just bring the poi across on the 5 beat my forehead and temples have discovered that with my hands the way they are and the poi in their positions i cannot do a 4,5 brw!

Tennis

Am i Special now?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... yes, you can do a 3beat on one side, then a 5 beat on the other (adding 2 at the end) which naturally sets you up for a 7 beat on the first side (two extra before and two extra after)...

That's not a true 5 beat though... it's a bit lob sided with two extra beats AFTER rather than one before and one after.

As long as you're not going from 3 to 7 directly...

Yes, you are special.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
No honestly it's seven. Trust me on this one. I found out i could do it kind of accidently then i realised what it was and practiced. It's seven beats on both sides of my body. Just got it forwards too! Yay!

Tennis

My mummy says i'm special.

Arakrysmember
34 posts

Posted:
NYC, they say you can explain everything in many different ways and a teacher must master at least 3 different ways. I think your way is the one that helps me.

That is... (ouch!) except for the changing of sides. So lets assume I do a 3 on the left then go right and add an extra beat with the * right hand poi. Then the left hand finishes its loop and i am trying to make it swing left but i have no strength there and the harder i try the more the right hand poi tangles around me...

And Malcolm, I am still looking forward to those 5 beat videos!

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hey Jarrett you Legend. Ive also noticed this, but with normal weaving as well. I had learnt to use face to palm, but face to face improves the moves so much. Genius.

a) Those who can, Do It.
b) Those who know, Post It.
c) Those who can't, Read It.
d) Those with ego's, Argue It.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
It sounds like tennis is wrapping to 7 from a 5.. maybe I'm just misunderstanding though. Stalling and letting the chains wrap to 7bts will give you your beats, but I wouldn't consider it a true 7bt weave

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals