i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I was playing with wrist wraps tonight, and Ifell upon this. I start in a butterfly, and bounce my right poi off my left wrist, then I let my arms stay apart, but let the strings circle around until they hit on the chain and do an air-wrap type thing. It's like taking a hyperloop and turning it 90 degrees, I believe it has been referred to as an "air wrap" to keep them seperated.

Anyway, just something I found that works for me somehow, but I JUST figured it out: if I let the ropes come around until they make an "X" in front of me (hands at bottom) and then pull outward and kind of in an upward arch, it literally pulls the chains together and speeds up the air wrap. It doesn't feel like I have it under control per se yet, just like "hey if I pull at just the right moment it does this magical move" type feel right now. Anyway, just thought I'd share, and see if anyone has any hints to help me get the feel down better.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I think you describe BF Hyperloop type trick,
but there are many variants and Im not sure
which is it .
You can search for some good descriptions,better
than I could write.

R.

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
richee - i think this is a normal airwrap that just doesn't unwrap.
like sometimes you do an airwrap and its too far down the string to just pop out again so just spins i that little circle and then dies?

what beefy is saying is that you can keep the momentum up by pulling outwards and shortening the strings while they are tangled.

nice one i8beefy2
i think you'll find that its almost impossible to determine when to bring them to the other side to untangle.
try it tangled buzzsaw style maybe (tangle with arms in airwrap positions and bring inside between the arms like a buzzsaw, pull the string s to speed up and remember to keep track of how many beats you've got or just in general on which poi needs to exit first to untangle).

i can't do this very well at all really - my strings come out uneven which unbalances the tangled buzzsaw and tends to kill it.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
https://palsson.net/spaceport/earth/poi/DanHyperloops1-DivX.avi

1:48 (one minute and 48 seconds)

if oyu wrap it 2/3 down the chain (close to the poi head, but not to close) they will come apart automatically after 4 beats (two outside two inside)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i think I know what peaple are on about....

when you do this ariwrap thinggy, i think the planes have got to make a cross? I say this cos Im still trying f to figure what to do to get them every time, as they are still a bit random.

I think the x then bounces the spin inside where they unwrap.

It has always been my dreem to find a good way out of a ****ed-up airwrap.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you are half right.

Yes, make an X at the point of impact.

a weave hyperloop goes from outside to inside and continues to outside to unwrap.

a butterfly wraps on the inside and goes out then in again to unwrap

both typs start on one side of th body and exit on the other.

the corkscrew is a little different though.

and there are other (wierder) hyperloops (airwraps) that do even stranger things...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I figured it out to where I can get it most of the time now. Dantana is right, it IS about 2/3 of the way down the chain that I do this. The video is a good reference. Actually, I cleaned up this move by performing it just like the video clip, only I can only go in the other direction I think... I go from a reverse weave to a windmill, and then bring it in front and air-wrap it. It's a cleaner entry than the wrist wrap, though both look cool.

Now, I theorize that it should be possible to lock the poi into an air wrap as as coleman alluded to. I KNOW it is possible, because when I mess up on the left side with hyperloops (as I always do for some reason... is it because of the extra beat on the left side? Do I need to do something to compensate?) my poi do that, I find that spinning in a counter-clockwise direction (me, my body) while they are locked like this between my arms lengthens the amount of time they can stay locked. And just sometimes I get the right exit out of it, so I KNOW it's possible, just have to get my mind and muscles to lock the right timing in...

Dantana, have a question about 0:09 into that video... I can do the hyperloop on the right side, but in the vid it looks like... is that a hyperloop buzzsaw in the middle? What are the motions for that?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
0:09 yes, that is a hyperloop buzzsaw in the middle. he motions are...do a weave, then seperate your hands while still on the same side of the body and let the chains hit eachother about halfway down (it is easier to hit chains closer to the handles). the chains should hit in an X (as viewed from above). The poi heads and chains will be angled out away from your body when the chains hit. The chains hit in basicaly the same way as the first one we were talking aobut, except the plane is 90 degrees different, and you bring it inside to do a buzzsaw then continue to outside for it to unwrap. you can leave the buzzsaw going (if you are using ball chain or strings) for a long time befor exiting on the oposite side of the body. The buzzsaw does not add wraps to the chain, it is just a "holding pattern". Any beats on the inside do not add wraps to the chains, they must be even numbered though, in order to not tie a knot.

hope tha helped, if not, ask again...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you can do any number of beats on the outside, then bring them inside for any number of EVEN NUMBERED beats, then bring it back outside on the oposite side to unwrap in the same number of beats that you used on the outside originaly. The beats on the inside don't count. (with the weave versions)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
The butterfly versions of hyperloops operate on the exact oposite principle. wrap on the inside, outside beats don't count but can be any number, unwrap on the inside on teh oposite side of the body.

There is another world of hyperloops, but unfortunatly Arashi can't post videos, and we all suck at interperting text based descriptions. I think he just likes to toy with us arashi arashi

he's like Yoda or something.... brain F#$%ing us to test us and make us grow.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Here is some evidence...

Originaly posted by Arashi

"anyway this will make sense for a little while til i can change things to confuse you again "

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Haha thanks Dantana. I understood those descriptions, and it explains why I havn't been able to get BF air wraps yet, been trying to wrap on outside, not inside.

I have very little experience with buzzsaws because... well my poi are real long... but if I short chain it I can still do hyperloops, so I don't see why I can't still do air wraps too! I guess I'll have to work on all these buzzsaw varients (think I got the weave last night with my socks).

Off to work to practice with my sock poi. Thanks again!