Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > More than 1 plane at a time

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Last w/e someone showed me a move that had one poi vertical and one horizontal. I can do it but only did it onece when shown to me so I may be a little off here......but I think it was from outward reels keeping one hand in front and another behind to, raise both up near the head and drop the front hand (I presume it'd work for either) and contort the poi to spin horizontal while the hand behind stays vertical. It's smoother than I make it sound but I'm just trying to get the idea across. Once you're in the move your hands are right next to each other spinning in 2 clean but different planes.

I haven't seen it with fire but the guy showing me it claimed it appears as a ball shaped thing of fire over the head. This reminded me of a move someone was trying to describe to me ages ago, that they saw in Thailand which they also described as a ball of fire over the head. I'm trying to visualise what this would look like with kevlar rope .

Anyone got any insights on this sort of stuff??
Any other moves where 2 different planes can be put together nicely? Did that description even make sense?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Yea, its split time mainly. Eaiser than doing both poi on the same plane actually, should be 1 of the first moves that u learn.

U can do every (imo) move on all planes then @ split time aswell, then there is also a time between split time, but i hav'nt got all the moves in those planes/times yet.

Just try a simple move and variate it to the opposite plane Ie corkscrew and windmill, do 1 with each hand @ same time and again @ split time.
Cranes (to me) are a little more difficult. Although u'd have to ask Arashi.

[ 24. June 2003, 12:08: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey dude. that move (i call them atoms but names is names is names):

'because life isnt' @ 1:22.

they work like butterflies, just a bit more wonky.

discovered corners the other day...

weird.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
corners?

Also im trying to get a atom with one poi spinning in the other direction so if the timeing is off they colide and tangle and smash your face. Im not sure why I spend any time on this because it doesn't really look diffrent.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the reason you're learning that astar is so that you can turn 180 and face the other direction while still spinning the atom
turning round and round inside an atom would be the shit - keep going man.

corners? they're just one poi in wall plane, one in wheel plane (90deg vertical planes) poi heads meeting at one of the corners of an imaginary cube around you.
found a few transitions the other day but spinning all four corners is as far as i've got really.
similar problem as your atom problem in that in two out of four corners, poi will pass each other spinning in opposite directions.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, I think I'm gunna give these a little more effort.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I knew there was a good reason why it seemed important to me to learn this.

Turning atoms here i come.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
okay, big atoms (like the one on the video linked to above) are impossible to turn round with like we were discussing.

small ones (ones out in front, chains no longer than your arms), you can turn round but its still a misson.

if you have one poi going the wrong way, its the same as the normal atom but upsidedown.
meaning the horizontal poi has to go *under* your hand that is spinning vertical.
unfortunately, if spinning the big overhead atom, this means your wrist (the one spinning the vertical poi) will be in the way.
you could wrap but it'd be tricky as you'd have to unwrap back over the top of the vertical arm.

actually, the video is a slow, big atom turn which just breaks plane - i say just it is a plane break but the entire time the planes stay super clean to each other.
don't know who spins that but its lovely.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
okay, big atoms (like the one on the video linked to above) are impossible to turn round with like we were discussing.
Huh? Why? don't see any reason why not.

i've played with 90 degree planes stuff a tiny bit, but with both planes vertical (like a folded butterfly) rather than one plane horizontal and one plane vertical.
180 and 360 turns are possible with them, as is BTB crossover stuff (felt VERY odd trying to keep the planes at right angles though).

But after i got that far i remembered that i don't do poi so i quickly stopped before anyone saw me

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
corners? they're just one poi in wall plane, one in wheel plane (90deg vertical planes) poi heads meeting at one of the corners of an imaginary cube around you.
found a few transitions the other day but spinning all four corners is as far as i've got really.
similar problem as your atom problem in that in two out of four corners, poi will pass each other spinning in opposite directions.

so atoms are different to corners.
even with corners its only possible to intersect the planes in two out of the four possibilities (in two of the corners the poi are moving in opposite directions and will tangle if crossed).

a horizontal spinning poi, if you turn 180 will still be spinning in the same direction (relative to you).
a vertical spinning poi, if you turn 180 will end up in reverse (cf. fwd bf to rev bf).
so turning 180 with an atom means only one poi will have changed direction from your frame of reference.

not a problem if its out in front of you but a big problem if you're spinning overhead.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
ah i seeee... although it'd work if you turned upside down too

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
if you have one poi going the wrong way, its the same as the normal atom but upsidedown.
yeah, i just wish i wasn't crap at turning upsidedown.

my nan can still do it fine and my mum and dad are both easily invertable.

guess it just skipped me, damn genetics

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I haven't been near my poi today but I'm thinking that the direction the poi are travelling might not matter (though I could be confusing myself here ) as long as they are split time, they should be able to travel through each other's planes with out hitting as long as only one of the poi occupies the space the 2 planes are on at one time?

3,149 posts

Posted:
yeah. what he said.

*looks at Cole expectantly*

edit - you say four corners? you mean bfly forwards, bfly backwards, follow-time clockwise, follow-time anti-clockwise, yes?

oooh corner waistwraps

time for some good nerdy poi-play methinks, and the suns come out just in time

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Though, you may have to seperate your hands slightly.

3,149 posts

Posted:
what? to turn upside down?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You don't have to turn upside down a no-handed cartwheel should suffice...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i guess that's possible but if you had your hands half of the atom width apart but it would kind of spoil the ball illusion...

and don't forget, it would have to be possible turning in and out of it so the timing would be insane.

and you *really* wouldn't want to mess up an atom spinning just above your head.

hope ya don't mind me saying that i'll believe it when i see it, but go for it (and be careful!)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
actually i was just talking about turning with corners, rather than no-handed cartwheel atoms. That was what DSS was talking about too, wasn't it?

Must remember to not to post silliness in moves threads. They're too goddam confusing to start off with

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:

Oh ye of little faith.
Yea, I'm guessing I'll be saying the same thing later.

There'd also be turning but leaving the vertical poi where it is, like a 180 with vert poi going btb/bth.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
simian. now my head hurts! i thought we were talking about atoms when you said you didn't see why you couldn't turn around back here

dss seems to be on about atoms too...?

deep - i'll have to try that 180 with hand bth.
should work for a 180 (i think) but i can't work out in my head what happens when you 360.
does the arm up in the air get tangled or not

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
i was talking about atoms at first...
It was only afterwards i started talking about corners instead, when i thought DSS was chatting about them, when in fact: he wasn't.

i thought DSS was disagreeing with this:
quote:
that Cole bloke said
even with corners its only possible to intersect the planes in two out of the four possibilities

All getting a bit confused now...

i'd play with atoms, but i have an irrational hatred for any form of horizontal spinning. So i'm gonna leave work now and go play with corners and see what they can do, instead of sitting at my desk knackering out my spatial imagination

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
For the movement of the chains, there should be no tangle, because the verticle whould remain, relatively stationary while your body moves round it I think you're talking about the actual hands getting tangled though. I don't think it'll be a problem though, it may be slightly more complicated than it seems, with a bit of crossing and uncrossing.

Gaagghghh, it'd be pretty simple to figure this out with poi, there's only so much cd's, pens and imagination can do .

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
And yea I was refering to both this and that. They're the same theory me thinks.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i hate the horizontal planes too!

they're crap for everything but atoms.
and cones, but they ain't horizontal.

any other stuff with funny planes then?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Did you double post just to get that ? in there .

YEa, I'm not mad about them although the Gandini vid arrived yesterday and I liked that corkscrew type thing where one arm was brought up under the arm pit and the head ducked out the way. I didn't give it a go yet but it looks cool. Like a torsoise.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
double post...?

don't know what you're on about...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood