Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 3 Beat Front to Back Transition

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
**(Name Edited for Clarity)**

In looking for a seamless transition from weave to BTB weave Skunk stumbled upon something which we dissected and distilled into a move I'd never seen before.

I'll teach it to you, then you tell me what it is.

With right poi:
Do one reverse circle on your left side hip in front of you and immediately reach around behind you and do a circle on the left side behind you. These circles should be perpendicular to your shoulders like a weave.

In further detail: Circle in front of you on the far left side, then cross over by your right shoulder into a circle behind you on the far left side. You should be passing by your right side only on the up stroke and NOT stay for a full circle. To cross from back to front you’re crossing only by your right hip.

This isn’t hard with one poi but I’ll break it down just to be sure we’re all understanding it. If your right poi had lips it would be traveling in REVERSE and:

Kiss your left shoulder (with your wrist in front of your left hip)
Kiss your left knee (with your wrist in front of your left hip)
Kiss your right shoulder (with your wrist at your right hip)
Kiss your left knee (with your wrist in behind your left hip)
Kiss your left shoulder (with your wrist in behind your left hip)
Kiss your right knee (with your wrist at your right hip)

With left poi:
Do exactly the opposite in SPLIT time. Replace the word “right” with “left”.

You are now doing something that LOOKS like a rev to BTB rev weave but isn’t. Since one hand could stay on top the whole time. Technically it’s three beats but it’s a tricky count. It’s a full circle on the opposite side of the body in front, a half a beat on the same side, a full circle on the opposite side behind your body, and a half a beat on the same side. It’s really just a 2 beat chase with ½ beat to go from front to back and ½ beat to come back to front.

Of course it can be done forwards as well but we found it easier to do backwards at first.

The really nice thing about it is that you don’t have to “break” for a beat to go from front to BTB. Since it’s impossible to go from true 3 beat weave to BTB 3 beat weave without a break or turn, this seemed like the way to do it.

[ 20. June 2003, 00:20: Message edited by: NYC ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... word word... We're both saying the same thing.

Actually wait, we're not. Let's do this for fun:

Look at the above move with just one poi...

If you want to start behind my left foot with my right poi it goes...

One full circle from behind my left foot to behind my right foot (over my left shoulder from my left side to my right side.)
One full circle to behind my left foot (from my right side over behind my left shoulder.)
One full circle to behind my right foot (across my back over my right shoulder and infront of my right knee.)

Damn. We need a vid or a picture. But that's right. I don't think that this is the best way of thinking of it because there are elements of a carry in all three circles by counting like this.

I prefer to count from 3 o'clock if someone is beside you (poi out in front of you). If we do this our one poi is...

One full circle on left side with arm in front of body.
One half circle where the poi goes from in front on left over right shoulder and then back behind you pointing backwards.
One full circle on left side with arm behind back.
One half circle where poi goes from behind you, down by your right shin and in front.

We're both saying the same thing. I hope.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep. i agree man.

three beats for this move.

you can turn into the wallplane and add more beats as you get an extra point to spin at in effect, but i won't even attempt to discuss it

basic waistwrap definitely has four.
as i've been saying all along.

but this move has three.
as you've been saying all along.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
ok, so i am not a counter. i never lurnt how...

however, if you ask me, it sure feels more like a 2 beat move (as in the chase) than a 3 beat move (as in the weave).

also i think we should call it the full body weave as glass/tim suggested since that makes the most sense visually. and speaking of visually:
full body weave video

example of forwards, backwards, seamless turns in betwixt.

*edited for codec clarification*

almost forgot, i encoded it with the newest divx (5.0.5) so most likely the video won't work properly unless you download the new version...

Page: