SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know how to go from long chains to short chains in the middle of a routine without getting burned? because i want to go from any move, to the wheel, but I can only do that if the chains are small is there a way to transition into it without getting blisters from the chain?

Lt Furlongmember
21 posts

Posted:
I'd love to learn this too and i've seen a Sydney spinner do it! I think his name is Gem and he's spun at almost every Transmission (major Syd dance party) i've been to and i catch him at Plastic (Syd club) now and then too. I'll have to ask him next time i see him.....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Here's how I do it - and other hoppers will have other ways.....

to go from long to short, version 1:
when spinning reverse (as opposed to forwards) I let the chains wrap once around my hand/palm and they are then shorter

to go from long to short, version 2:
as you spin, pull in a bit of the chain with your fingers, and hold it further down the chain

to go from long to even shorter:
do a combination of the above, spin to wrap around hand, then pull in chain.

I like to go from long to short and sometimes have one long and one short

I'm hopeless at explaining these things

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It seems natural to go from long to short when doing either reverse spinning or a reverse butterfly.

I'm still toying with the idea of having much longer straps so I can still hold them after I've shortened them. (So a shorter chain section connected to a really long leather section.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

firemonkeyboymember
13 posts

Posted:
I wrap the chains around my hands from either a reverse spin or sometimes I will do it after corkscrew. I don't know what to say about the chains???? Mine don't give ne blisters, but I do have one set that feels better on the wrap. I guess its the type of chain. Alternately, you could try to go from shorter to longer arms!!!! Bad Monkey!!!!

Death is only a change of address

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
my faveriote way is to do a reverse bf ( poi come togetherat the bottom out at the top) bring you hands slightly apart, then flick the poi over a little faster and they will wrap around the hand, hold on and there you have it short chains.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I use steel rings for handles with an internal diameter of 6cm. Thse are great because I can spin them forwards with the ring around my index and middle finger and quickly and fluidly shift the rings to my thumbs and let them wrap around my hand where I grab them with my fingers. I can use the other methods mentioned here to shorten chains also, and I can shorten them while doing a forward weave fairly smoothly. I like to shorten them really short this way doing a weave and then release them one wrap per beat so it's like a growing and shrinking circle.

Edit:A person by the alias rftek posts here who does a lot of spinning with chains wraped around his hands to shorten them (really damn short) and he said he wore gloves to help keep the heat off the wicks and stop the chains from blistering his hands.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I like to shorten and lengthen my chains while doing 3 beat weaves.It keeps you from having to break the rhythm of what you're doing and can serve as a tiny little mindfuq because it is almost impossible to see the change unless you're looking for it.

As far as keeping your hands from being ravaged by your chains ... uuummmm ... don't really know how to help there.My hands are callused and hardened from doing construction work so the chains never really bother me.Sorry.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Callouses build up pretty quick. I have 'em on my index fingers from ball chain. All you do is play till it hurts, don't play until it doesn't hurt, rinse and repeat, always repeat.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Callouses? Hah I say!
I buy moisturising hand cream, makes my hands oh so soft

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
when weaving, forward, you can wrap chains when the hand is on the opposite side of the body, backward, on the same side.

Tom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I find it looks good if you wind your poi short while doing a forward weave then turn the weave into a reverse and unwrap them (as they unwrap a lot more fluidly in a reverse weave)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you can also go straight long by dropping the loops of your hands at onece, rope dart style.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
I find it looks good if you wind your poi short while doing a forward weave then turn the weave into a reverse and unwrap them (as they unwrap a lot more fluidly in a reverse weave)
I hope so... been learning this for the past two days and I can do it quite well now... It's a great way to shorten chain. You can also wrap on the rev weave, turn and unwrap on the fwd and repeat at will. Anyways it's cool : o )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dunno why I didn't catch this one sooner but it's actually really easy to shorten while doing butterfly wraps. As you pop off the left wrist with your right hand in a forward butterfly the chain almost begs to be shortened ...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
I like to throw the pois and grip the chains halfway up ........nice when it works.....
another thing I'm working on is throwing the pois from isolations and then grab the halfway....makes it more smooth I think

I like Fire.. :)