Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Gandini Club Swinging on Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So I got the Gandini Club Swinging Video on an impulse buy while at Dube Juggling... which is strange as I don't have a DVD player (but if you look really closely at the Disc I think I can make out what's on it... kiddn'!)

I did get to see it at the store and chuckled more than once having such things as fountains and waistwraps clearly defined and explained.

THEY are calling a low fountain simply forward to backwards 2 beat weave.

THEY are calling a fountain a low fountain with the club twirling equivalent to a windmill up top.

AND the simplest waist wrap is ... well... what everyone has been saying all along. Two beats in front, three in the back and two on the other front.

All I can say is... (aside from "I need a DVD player") it's a pretty darn good DVD. It clearly explains most beginning technical aspects of club swinging. I'm excited to incorporate it all into my poi.

It was also refreshing to see some beautiful technical spinning with people who don't move their feet.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my honest opinion, i would have bought the KIWIDO poi video rather than the gandini club swinging one.
personally i hated the gandini vid and wont bother with it again.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
AT pk.

you what, ah well each to thier own.
I really rate the gandini produced video as a teaching aid.
sometimes i find the music a bit heavy, which is a pity cos its done by a legendary swinger and contacter. but for clean simple execution and breakdown its a good un.

Kwido video, does that come in a nice bag too?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
is not moving your feet an aspect of traditional club swinging?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i tend to tap my left foot in time with my beats when i'm swinging clubs.

does that count...?

i love that dvd.

upper, lower and full fountains spun nice and clear, full waistwrap example, butterfly waistwrap example, basic snakes and the super sick mike's mess by manu.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
PK, do keep in mind I've never seen club swinging and certainly have no teachers here.

I liked several aspects of the DVD for total newbies like me. I thought it was well explained and EXTREMELY well thought out in terms of DVD production.

It's the best I've got until those selfish punks from the UK fly out and teach me somefink.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
G, NYC better watch it with this club swinging stuff, you know its gunna lead U to the Dark Side

is not moving your feet an aspect of traditional club swinging?

Nar, not really Astar. While the starting position is statuesque, and most moves are done right and left, and other moves are be done by turning the trunk or by going btb, there is a bit of leg-work involved for some routines. Like, you start to move the left or right leg sideways, cross right over left, cross stands, lunges, knee bending, about-face and stuff like that.

My view is that learning club swinging in this traditional way first, will set you up to be able to execute any artistic/dance move later on. Good foundations and all that

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
I met a new zealand exchange student here in brazil and she does the tradisional mauri poi,
she didnt do a performance or anything but she showed me somestuff, but DID NOT move her feet, ill ask her next time i see her

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
That video is good, helped me with a few things. However I did reach for the mute button everytime the music came on

JinX - Traditional Maori poi is different to poi as we know it here. Maori poi is part of a dance and song which tells a story and from what I've seen the poi moves themselves tend to be rather basic. Large body movement isn't really a part of Maori poi dances.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The music didn't bother me nearly as much as those dumbass accents.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
NYC do they teach charm and international diplomacy at your school?
**Hugs**

\crosses new york off his list of places to visit

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
must.....resist....feet...starting....to....dance.... can't.....stop....feet...from....moving....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
And Gotham breathes a sigh of relief...

quote:
NYC do they teach charm and international diplomacy at your school?

INTERnational? As in nations other than the US? Why would I care what they think? That'd be UnAmerican.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
You smell of wee wee.
Err urgh
Bum pooo

ps NYC
quote:
THEY are calling a fountain a low fountain with the club twirling equivalent to a windmill up top.

AND the simplest waist wrap is ... well... what everyone has been saying all along. Two beats in front, three in the back and two on the other front.
thats all wrong, or at least a bit unclear

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and be careful nyc - one of those low fountains is shown wrong.

they show it as a 3bt to rev 3bt weave rather than as a 2bt front waistwrap (which is a 2bt to rev 2bt weave)

could be considered a low fountain variation anyway nowdays but i say its well confusing when they show it like its the low part of the 12bt fountain breakdown.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually what I was describing was the BTB waist wrap.

I watched the DVD over the weekend and am 99% sure that they call a waste wrap:

Two beats behind my right butt cheek,
Four beats in front of me,
Two beats behind my left butt cheek.

At least they're counting it as 4 beats with each arm. Maybe I'm putting it together wrong.

Is that close?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if it is titled just as 'waistwrap' on the dvd i think its an example of a full waistwrap?
could be my sketchy memory mind you...

i'll have another look before i do my normal trick of spouting shit that just confuses everything

as i know it though (no matter what is on the dvd) a btb waistwrap (which is the btb bit of a full waistwrap, which is the the same as a a btb low fountain) has:

two beats in front (on your left) with right arm btb, two beats by your arse and two beats in front on your right with left arm btb. carry each poi back to the start.

its got a total of six beats within the three sets of two circles and the two carries back to the start (one with each arm obviously) take the same time as as two more beats.
so the whole move, if you count in time with one arm, goes '1-2-3-carry' in a nice steady rhythm.

and that's where that four beat count comes from...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood