ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
hey, well I've seen those big monkey fist poi in the Hop shop but I was wondering if anyone has gotten any yet or used them?

Thomas

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Got them, and they're lovely! I like my poi big and on the heavy side so they're perfect for me. Long burn time too.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think I will buy a pair this summer, but I need to seriously beef up the weight of my practice poi so I can handle the weight by time I get the monkey fists.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, im gonna get some....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I have some, but haven't used them yet. My cathedrals are still in pretty good shape.

Raph

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
so do they have big flames? I got a set of those double 4" poi, oh my, they've got crazy flames, sooo big.

Thomas

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i find that the buzzsaw is totally hurty on double 4" poi.
or do i call her double headed 4" poi?
i like 'split 8" poi' better

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Tonight I lit up my monkey-fists for the first time.

I found them to last a bit longer than the cathedral wicks I have, but they didn't produce as big a fire.

Does anybody else have any comparisons to make between monkey fists and cathedrals?

Raph

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...I think you might find that a certain pattern emerges with different types of wick, somthing akin to the following.

The larger the flame, the shorter the burn time.

The smaller the flame, the longer the burn time.

If there is only so much fuel to go around, bigger flames will use it up faster...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Charles,

Ordinarily I would not argue with your logic, but the burn time isn't THAT much longer with the monkey-fists..

Thats why I am a bit confused about the relative values of monkeys vs. cathedrals.

Raph

ps. monkeys vs cathedrals sounds like an independant film

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals look like big square things on fire, but Monkey Fists look like crazy comet fireball things.

As to which lasts longer, isn't that just amount of kevlar vs. surface area? And monkey fists have a little less surface area than Cathedrals using the same amount of wick, so they should last a little bit longer.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've got the normal monkey fist and have used the giant monkey fist and the regular cathedrals.

the giant monkey fists are ridiculous. flames the size of your head and a huge burn time but a massive workout too (and i'm not that little). seriously only for the masochists.

the cathedrals have real bright flames but, as discussed don't last as long as...

the normal monkeyfist poi beautiful flames (lots of blue if you don't let the flame break) and a nice long burn time.
my only complaint is that if you swing them so that the flames don't break (look gorgeous - will be on a video soon i'm sure ) like in slow pendula or cones, they spontaneously extinguish.
usually happens just after lighting and probably has something to do with fire triangles, the shape of the wicks and hordes of insects exhaling en masse.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Jeff Lemonademember
5 posts

Posted:

I haven't gotten any yet but i used my friends. There pretty cool. there alot different then just the normal poi. not necessarily harder just different.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

agree with Cole, the giant monkey fists are just **MENTAL**, the only person who really likes em is Bovril, and have you seen the size of his practice poi?

However the normal ones are really really nice with a good burn time and construction, bit worried about the way they smoulder (rope dissapears near the chain) but otherwise booootifull.

And the reason for Monkey over cathedral? you can handle burning Monkeys with less danger of burny metal bits.

L*r

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Ummm, I don't really have anything important to contribute. Just saw the huge monkey fists in the HOP market and started to drool. I absolutely love my regular monkey fists.

I went to a spin jam and saw the "ape knuckles" in person - of course - I had to oooh and ahhh and touch and feel the monsters. They were pretty heavy - and - the guy spinning them wasn't very big - so they exchanged hands a couple of times. The flames lasted about 5 mins - nothing that impressive - just the monster size of the wicks.

Want to share a photo of the flame if anyone's interested:
https://www.playalicious.com/FirePlay/poi_photos/june23/pages/DSC_2180.html

The experience of learning is living.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by +):
the only person who really likes em is Bovril, and have you seen the size of his practice poi?

Not strictly true. I really, really, really like the giant monkey fists
It's just a shame I have no money at the moment, or I'd have a pair winging their way over to me now.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.