tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
i know what the arachnid thing is but i was reading arashi's post (can't remember the thread name) and i read this

you can take a bfly or a spider and invert them,

What is a spider???

Thank you in advance.

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
yes i did a search.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

- sorry couldn't resist!..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I'm fairly sure that a spider is just another name for a weave (chase).

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
.........Great photo MisStix......couldn't help myself to not BURST OUT IN LAUGHING

Sory had to right that as well...um back to the subject

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's a weave.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
where's the link between the weave motion and a spider?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Where is the link between weave motion and a weave?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Stupid Poi moves names

I think the weave name comes from the fact that your arms (and consequently??sp?? the poi) are weave about one another. Not really very helpful though as the buttefly weaves sort of do the same thing.

IMHO the "weave(spider/chase whatever)" should be called a Chase Weave as the poi are chasing and weave in and about one another.

That'd then allow for Butterfly Weave making more sense, at least its name would.

The nicest aspect I can see with doing this is that you get 2 distinct 'schools' of moves for when learning/teaching.

Butterflys - Mexican Wave, Low Wave, BtB Butterfly, Butterfly Buzzsaw.
&
Chases - Chasing the Sun, Windmill, Corkscrew, Buzzsaw.

Then you could start explaining modifications and varients and I'm stopping now before I get carried away

*Edited - Cause I can't proof for pooh*

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its all a bit random really.

i reckon 'follow-time' (or 'chase') and 'butterfly' refer to the direction of the poi.

a follow-time weave you can then call a 'cross-follow'.

i'd say 'weave' refers to hand movements rather than poi - hence with the butterfly weave the hands make the same motion as a follow-time weave.

spider i have no idea on. seems to be the basic cross-follow motion but not resticted to any one orientation ie. a vertical spider is a cross-follow, a horizontal spider is a corkscrew and so on.

i'm finding more and more that move names are dependent on locality more than where they came from or what they were originally called.
tis all good though - as long as we can get across what we are trying to describe it matters little what we happen to be calling a weave.

what's a fountain again?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
quote:
I think the weave name comes from the fact that your arms (and consequently??sp?? the poi) are weave about one another. Not really very helpful though as the buttefly weaves sort of do the same thing.

The difference is distinguished by the name being 'butterfly weave' not 'weave' (butterfly meaning poi are in opposite directions)

Jo.

[ 21. May 2003, 05:54: Message edited by: Jo ]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
That sounded a bit harsh... better add some winks:

Ok, I edited it now - it no longer souns harsh. winks revoked.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
don't have much time but i'll make it quick.
we taught ourselves over here in texas so we have our own names for everything. i feel that the language stems from the style, but it can also restrict your style as well.
spider is almost the same as weave, but a spider is the full 360 range of motion that a weave pattern makes, so a 3 beat spider is the forward 3 beat, turn, and the reverse 3 beat, turn. it doesn't seem like much but when you have inversions, insides, hyperweaves, etc. it makes things easier, at least for me. and all the moves that you guys differentiate from the weave like corkscrew and windmill are simply the same pattern, spiders, moved to different areas. horizontal spider(cork), vertical spider (windmill) to me the hand postitions aren't as important, because there are soooo many, like there are many hand positions for the 5 beat, much less 5+. they are almost the same thing, but having the full cycle as the basic set(spider instead of "weave") i think helps you put more complex moves together, cuz you have to understand how everything fits together instead of taking it in pieces.
my spiders are different than butterflies by a long shot, the planes in a butterfly cycle are only parallel to their respective hands. IOW the right hand is parralel to itself in the turn, as the left is also, but the right and left are not parallel to each other, they are a "x". so they are not the same at all.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wow! how the hell am i going to get to sleep now?!!???

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I like it, sort of a shorthand for poi.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

TeachingMonkeyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
That's interesting. I'm reading a book on playing the 9-section chain whip that makes reference to several different patterns.
Twining = "stalling" or "wrapping"
circling = moving your whip, chain, poi, etc in a vertical circle
sweeping = moving your poi in a horizontal circle
figure 8 = moving your whip/poi in a figure 8 with one or both hands.
The most important distinctions to me are circling vs. figure 8, and vertical vs. horizontal.
Every move can be described in these terms. For example: butterfly = both hands Circling in front or behind the player in opposing directions.
In terms of sword or staff play, the figure 8 is refered to as a flower. I refer to them as either rising or falling flowers. Falling is the first (forward) weave that most of us learn, with our chains moving downward in front of us. Rising is what most people refer to as the backwards weave, with the chains coming up in front of us. Each stroke is a petal on the flower.
Hopefully I'm making it easier for people to talk technically without all the dialectical jargon.
Peace,
Andy!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*bump*

wicked! now i know the meanings of "crane" AND "spider"!

hell, all i need definitions of now are "fractal" and "shiznit"

then i might actually start understanding arashi!!!

hmm, maybe that's not such a good idea. Have you seen Scanners? eek wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
haha simian well i hate to confuse the issue more but i also use it in a more specific way to refer to something similar to what are britishly called offsets. the main differentiation of each spider being the offset position which makes it different from the others. yes that's confusing when translating to hop but i do it sometimes because i only use these terms to teach the crossover positions and to write down hand positioning for choreography. doing a "5 beat weave" to me is unaesthetic asonine repitition. basically "beat" counts aren't as important as the offset hand positions and the overall patterns they can create by doing fwd and rev... so a 5 beat spider is both the full cycle of the fwd and rev, and also the specific offset _crossover_ (but not the offset figue 8 patterns)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
a spider is a bug, with 8 legs, from the arachnid family.

Ohh, you meant spinning? No idea, never heard of it.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
found the definition of Shiznit offtopic but still interesting

Spinning makes my world go round