Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > inversions, insides, atomics, oh my!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
edit; okay glass just smacked me in the head with the obvious notion that inverted means upside down as well as the definition i went by, in which inverted means; reversed, in a contrary direction. so i am considering changing my terminology, but i have edited this to make sense with the stuff in the trinity thread. i'm just warning you that i may change this post when i get the time to give a flying fart. anyway this will make sense for a little while til i can change things to confuse you again wink

first, the crossed arm inverted weaves, which add two beats to a odd number weave...

the counting on this is pretty tricky, since it comes out of a weave that already has beats. in general for beat counts i go by the # of beats on each side of the crossover, since that way you don't have to be symmetrical to have it make sense. but the crossover happens at the entrance into the inversion so i label the inverted weave by which weave position you came into it from. there's so many variations that this may make sense later.

first, try the 3 beat inverted weave, which is

3 beat weave, but the crossover goes between your arms instead of to the other side. your arms, you will notice, are crossed, so you have to do an split time isolation with both hands so the chains don't wrap your arms.

next try it out of the five beat, which makes a 5 beat inverted weave.

insides are like buzzsaws but are not between your arms, they are between your arms and your body. take a buzzsaw in front, and drop your hands to your sides. now the wicks come under your armpits, and the chains are inside your arms. you can take a bfly or a spider and inside them, so if you do a bfly in front, you bend forward and do it inbetween your arms and your tummy. do them in the side plane, too.

now if you take a buzzsaw, do it inside at your side, and the take it around your back, keeping the same buzzsaw plane direction the whole time, you have a BTB inside. now try that, with an inverted weave instead of a buzzsaw. ouch. wear a cup. or "box" if your british tongue

I have edited this title and post and cut out all the "buzzsaw" terms. Hope this makes more sense now!

EDITED_BY: arashi (1107654577)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Rev - You got camera right, so dont wast your time and show us the truth smile, Im expecting a lot smile

Edit: I saw inversions, nice how your hands are twistin smile.

:R
EDITED_BY: Richee (1127050847)

POI THEO(R)IST

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
cool thanks rev smile *wanders off to repeatadly hit himself with poi

back

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I just posted a practice vid in the videos section of me spinning what I beleive to be atomic. I really don't know though. I was told on another site it might be boxspinning or trinity but honestly I have no idea. I know the differences between all of it but I'm not so sure and spinning like this is really hard to describe. It's still pretty new to me. I feel like I am taking every move I know and breaking it into peices and reassembling it into sp,ething entirely different.

Peace, Love, Circles

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
looks kinda atomic to me... but its hardd to tell, looks pretty weird though which is good smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Rovo, dats exactly what it feels like.

enyone who got themselves a 'natural' feeling of doing atomics should be burried without food.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Now that I understand it, I think it feels natural. In fact it keeps spoiling my other moves because they are slipping into atomics sometimes. I never understood why people liked atoms but I guess I never understoof how many different things you can do with them. I have just begun to start incoporating it into other moves and going over the shoulder and stuff and it's crazy. It's like having a new way to do all the other patternes you know. Plus this has given me so much more control over the poi. I can't wait to try this with fire! Hopefully I'll be able to borrow the camera for that.

Peace, Love, Circles

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It sort of feels natural once you get used to it, like a wonky TTN, but then as soon as you turn it feels completely different and goes all crap. Of course it'd help if I practised it more smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, turning is the next trick...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
imo its just the same dirction corners that are tricky.. you can ttn the other ones all day.. the same ones though is where your planes want to get wonky becase your body is like 'they are moving roughly this way anyway'.. I would just pick two adjacent corners.. and work different threading techniques between them since its a sd and an opposite.. and then work your way up to various sets of 3 corners.. and by then you'll pretty much have it ..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Right, time to learn atomics and inversions.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
online vids soon... one more film shoot left...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*blinks*

cool!

wow

*rubs eyes*

yeah

*collapses once more*

wave

-><- Kallisti

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Arashi? Videos? Blimus! I might have to start spinning poi again!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm not going to try and hold my breath again... wink

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cole.. you're the best.. hug

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
LOL smile

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

i _promise_ one day all my empty promises will come to promiscuity wink

i wish i only had myself to blame. luckily my slackerness is everyone else's fault. biggrin especially bluecat's, he MADE me drop everything and spend an incredible amount of money and time traipsing around the HILLS of Europe ubbrollsmile
ubblol feel free to throw money and wine and women at me as motivation. poibox had the right idea ubblove

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
( mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
for Arashi:
Non-Https Image Link

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

and

Non-Https Image Link

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

feel free to throw money and wine and women at me as motivation

So that's the secret... I was wondering why I was ful of empty promises too.. Now I know why.. And here I thought I was just being lazy/busy..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
my god is that traci lords and her mom in the photo? nice touch. wink

allright, i'm changing my needs. be specific, my guru says. more than wine money and women i need a good concrete huffin slave who can make compound birdmouth cuts for rafters, someone who can set the action on 1920 steinway grand pianos faster than me, matt to return my email, and 500 people to come to my bassnectar party next week (instead of my projected 250)

either that or some patient friends. my photo shoot keeps getting pushed back... but after the party next weeek it is ON... i suppose it's all for the best, my isolated atomic weaves need some refresher time.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Arashi, i totally ofrgot to reply to you, i'm off to oz on wednesday, i'll find your email and reply tomorrow i promise.

web access here sucks ass,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
okay so i just lost 45 mins worth of in depth reply to you pm on sphism, F%&$%*%*%&

i'll re write it tomorrow

nite

m

frown

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
that sucks.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
that may be okay... we can narrow my letter down to the scrying pool, we've got someone to do the animation of the heart thing. hope that helps shorten your letter hug

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ok, non sequiter anyone?

meg too right, turning is the trick.

l*r

T wave

-><- Kallisti

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I don't see how turning is the hard part. If your doing a forward atomic weave in front of you you just have to figure out the hand motions to go to a reverse atomic weave behind you. I tell the direction of the atomic weaves by which way the poi are spinning when you bring them to your sides. It looks really nice when you do it in the wall plane. If your morphing the atom while turning I could see why sometimes you might be in an awkward hand postion but with some experimenting you should be able to figure out how to move your hands to make it work. Sometimes though I end up turning from a forward atomic weave to a forward atomic weave I don't know hwo I do this. Spinning atomic is like quantum physics, the old rules of spinning don't always seem to apply.

On another note I always spun atomic with the poi short but I am totally digging isloating atoms with long poi. It looks like it doesn't make sense. If that makes sense. I used to think doing this with long poi wouldn't look as good as with a shorter length but they both have thei advantages and drawbacks.

I was also wondering if the crane is a same-time inversion. I was confused with what inversions were for a long time and therefore didn't understand what crane meant. If thats what it is I think it's one of my favorite little tricks at the moment. smile

Peace, Love, Circles

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
crane is a basic poi formation such as reels, weave/cross follow or butterfly, with special applications while doing atomics.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
umm

That translates from arashian as: a same direction butterfly in which the timing changes in each half circle, so that the poi that is leading in the first half is trailing in the second half.. Which is extremely useful with atomics, since atomics are just butterflies, half of which are same direction equivalent.. So it makes lots of transitions through them much nicer...

Page: ...