Forums > Social Chat > need an answer from the aussies out there

Login/Join to Participate

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
hey folks.i'm going to be coming to aus in around two months to live and work for a year. i want to settle in one place and work (and spin) for a while. in your opinion, what city has the best fire action. i mean people to play with and maybe troupes to join. so far, the cities i'm looking at are sydney, melboure, and perth, but i'd like to hear of any others. oh yeah, and the city has to have a decent queer and party culture.thanks!!------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
I'd say Syd has a slight heads-up on Melb about the Queer thing, but hey, I live here, I'm biased. grin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
As a sydneysider and fellow fire twirler I have to say that after watching your vid's, we definitely want u here in sydney!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm... I've been to both and partied at both and I would have to say Melbourne probably fits that bill quite nicely. Unlike my own town with steep sides and a crater-type appeal - Melbourne has the most funki-arse queer party scene and some definitely nice twirler-type-ppl. But I suppose you could watch Sydney and Melbourne argue about this till your blue in the face eh? smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
the Wick Effect wants you baby...Sydney is great for so many reasons. Lots of employment options and a wicked fire scene. You also will absolutely lurve Oxford Street. right up your alley, so to speak winkIf you want to email me personally, you know where it's at...::flash eagerly awaits twirling with Dangerboy::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

monkeykatmember
13 posts

Posted:
Well in Sydney it's pretty easy to find the queer side of town anywhere in the inner west or city in general.As far as spinning goes there are a number of groups.Fire Art Fanatics,the group I hang with most compromises a fantastic group of people who spin poi,staff, chains, fire breath and generally dance around and do shows. If your in town Ill most likely film you for my video, that's if your cool with that.Go to https://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/fireartfanaticsThere
is also a group in Newtown The Wick Effect who meet but I havnt been to see them for a while so not really sure if they are still going.There is also some people who meet in Manly and on the beach but I have never been to see them so dont know what they are like.Melbourne has a great party scene and a vibrant arts culture,if your in Sydney or Melbourne you will have no worries as people in Melbourne or Sydney are generally accepting and encouraging of others no matter what they do.Perth was great when I lived there about 8 yrs ago, but it was a slow town then.Brisbane allways seems like a slow place and like Perth is very hot in Summer.Love to meet you if you come overI can be contacted at monkeymetal@hotmail.comgood luck.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy, Sydney has got it all:Mardi Gras, Oxford Street, Pride PartiesFire Twirling and dancing and sharingBeautiful surrounds and people Good employment opportunities Access to beaches and the bushUs!!!And the winner is Siderney wink

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
yeah.. but you can come and visit us in sunny Brisbane for holidays! smile

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Definately.... SYDNEY!Finn smileP.S. The Wick Effect wants YOU Dangerboy!

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
wow, there's al lot of love in this thread. thanks guys. i was thinking of melbourne, but my mind have been swayed. i'm landing in sydney regardless. i'll be there either in the end of Sept of the beginning of oct. look forward to meeting you all!!!------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm blown away. The amount of times our crew has said "would it be wicked if we had Dangerboy" and voila! Here he comes...The power of positive thought is not to be underestimated.Dangerboy, if you need any advise on any travel related stuff, please contact me. I know how overwhelming it is to land in a foreign country (like me in Canada for example) with nothing but a backpack and your firetoys. It was very comforting meeting someone I knew when I got off that bus - really helped me get oriented and helped me settle all the sooner.We have a habit of taking backpackers under our fiery wing, eh Finn? See Bobrob for example! He had to drag himself away from us just to ensure he'd see more of the country and not get stuck partying with us!anyway.YAY!!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well dont come to Adelaide. (much as I'd like you to). There is no fire scene, hardly a gay scene, and it basically is a country town) smilebut we have the best grass, and the best living and some of the best beaches! smile)so it's not all bad.We'll come visit you whereever you go. smileJoshBoth Sydney and Melbourne are great for fire, partying and the rest, although the weather is better in Sydney. The Snow is more accessible from Melbourne...although it will never compare to BC.seeya,Josh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
sheesh Josh - could've put in a good word for us bro!? wink wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
sydney's great for bigger rave scenes melbourne's caters wider culturessydney's a little dearer melbourne's respectively cheapersydney has more buildings melbourne has more gardens brisbane's weather rocks, but everyone asleep

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
go to hobart, they need a fire scene to go with all the wildlife! wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Dangerboy, excellent to see your travelling to OZ. Sometimes i think we get a little forgotten about when it comes to the world scene.Once again, i could be considered bias but although anywhere in Australia is an ace place for fire, Melbourne is definately the place if your looking for the work. Per calender year, Melbourne puts on and hosts more public events than any other city in OZ and has loads of oppotunity for anyone that way inclined. I,ve giged all round the country, had great times and met some really cool people along the way but if you want to work in a well established, respected scene, Melbourne's the place. Melbourne's home to Circus Oz, N.I.C.A. (National Institute of Circus Arts) and has a huge arts community and some of the best pyro's in the country.But i urge you to see of much of Austrlia while your here and check out as many of the cities as you can, their all quirky in there own way. Jon from Fyrestorm was down here not long ago and had choice time. If you come to town, drop me a hoi at fireworksdance@bigpond.com.C'ya, Chris @ FireWorks.

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
COME TO WAGGA well its not to big not to small has a small fire secne (Me and some other kids)not much violence/crime.alot of transport.FIRE BOYPLEAZE COME DANGERBOY

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves