RETTWINSmember
9 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning poi for a few months on and off. I came across a move and I'm sure it has to have a name but I'm not sure what it is. I'll try to describe it. It feels like if you are doing a weave and go to turn around but you don't. Instead you kind of do the weaves far to each side and get a big circle in front of you in the middle. The weaves are reversed of each other (ie one is done forwards, one backwards). THanks for any help.
Peace, Jarrett

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think you're talking about spinning in the 'wall plane'.

to get into the move, did you do a forwards weave and then turn 90deg?
instead of the poi spinning at your sides, parallel to the direction you are facing, you spin with them either in front or behind you, perpendicular to the dirction you are facing.

if so then welcome to the wall plane

the wall plane has loads of advantages and is used loads by performers (especially clubswingers) as its means you are facing your audience but they can still see all the pretty circles side-on.

as you have discovered, it means that you can do fwd weave to rev weave without having to turn at all. and if you change direction of one of the poi, you are in the position you would normally spin butterflies in.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah you're definitely doing the forward-turn-reverse thing entirely in the wall plane

"Moo," said the happy cow.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cole has too much time on his hands, cant be bothered coming to visit me in london but can spend all of today online huh.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i know this has been discused but i have heard this move called a low fountain.

am i wrong?

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
awww pk, sorry dude

if my firm paid me to come see you, i would.
as it is, they refuse to pay me for anything that doesn't look like my job.
fortunatly posting on hop does look like my job (in fact apart from the poi bit, its almost identical).

carstens, low fountain is front waistwrap with bottom carry in my reckoning.
the move above i'd call 'fwd weave to rev weave in wall plane'.
but its all just words innit

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
thanx again cole.

i dont know how flexy you are but try doing this fwd weave, rev weave in a wall plane but try twist around as much as possible it feels cool and you add another loop.

im not sure how it looks coz i cant take a mirror out side and i cant watch myself

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Back in the day it was a low fountain indeed. It was discussed here and all...

I can't imagine that "Low fountain" now has a different meaning. Actually, that's my new pet peave... People renaming stuff that already exists as other stuff.

Like, "Well I'm going to call when both poi go in opposite directions a weave and when they follow each other a butterfly."

BahhH!! I have no problem naming it a "Purple Monkey" but don't go calling it something that already has a meaning!!!

Just me...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Two Years Ago It Was Called a Low Fountain.

At least here it was.

I don't know how a low fountain got associated with a waist wrap but if it did, that's new.

Let's not start renaming stuff that already exists in print at least.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nyc - that post just backs up what i said dude.
lower fountain is not what you think it is. and it has not changed - the explanation given by diana does not support what you claim it to be.

diana's description: 'start by spinning 3bt weave to rev 3bt weave in the wall plane [which is the move described above]. reduce this to 2bt and you have a lower fountain.'

so lower fountain is 2bt weave to rev 2bt weave (in wall plane).
as you are spinning 2bt weaves, you must do a 'carry' to get back to the start position.
which is a front waistwrap.

this is a great example for the 'why things have more than one name' debate because waistwraps and fountains are both two beat moves.
if you take just the in-front part of a waistwrap or the bottom part of a fountain, you get the same move.
this is not 'new' - it was always the case.

the reasons i personally would tend to call that move a waistwrap variant rather than a lower fountain are:
1. because you can do it with either a top carry or a bottom carry - there are no carries in a full fountain whereas there are in full waistwraps.
2. fountains are being spun all over the place now and i think they are not just limited to 2bt moves any more. this means 'lower fountain' would have to be more clearly defined as a '2bt lower fountain' since we now have a '3bt lower fountain' (which ironically is what you were claiming to be a lower fountain in the first place ).

i think this shows that its less that people are renaming moves and about the fact that you can describe a move with more than one description?

coleman

[ 15. May 2003, 22:01: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed you are right. The post I referred to has an inherent contradiction in it. I had always learned that:

Rev weave ==> Forward weave

Was a low fountain and it was agreed upon by old folks like Phunky and such (there were many more posts)...

Aparantly, there have always been two definitions of the low fountain. Depending on who you ask...

I wonder why it took me two years to figure this out.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]