Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Newbie who need help with some move ;)

Login/Join to Participate

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
Hello all

I ve finish building my poi.. so since 3 days i m praticing between 15 min to 2 hours per day..

So i follow the lesson of this site.. it s pretty cool

So now i m in the lesson 9 : overhead butterfly..
not so easy.. sometimes i do it , sometimes not.. so i need to pratice

after it's become more complicated
it s lesson 10 : one hand butterfly... i don't understand how can i do that.. how to start, how do you do to not crossing the chains etc etc...

and after i ve try lesson 11 : the weave.... : with 1 poi, left and right hands.. it ok, no problemes.. but when i take my 2 poi.... everythings going wrong... does somebody have some tips ?????

Thanks all for you Help

Feydreva

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
befor some butthead screams "go do a search" at you....

I got what you need right here.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000912

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000264

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001010

hey man, wana buy a watch?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
scuse me.. i forgot to do a search.. next time i ll think about this before posting

Why should i need a watch ????

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
befor some butthead screams "go do a search" at you....

Couldnt agree more..... .

I like Fire.. :)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
so you can know what time it is, cause around here it's night time, and night time is NO time to be in this neighborhood, so how about it...

wana buy a watch?

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
sorry don't need watch i ve never wear watch i ll not start now ..

you now for me it was juèst the afternoon

so anyway, Thanks for this links because i ve success to make the weave...
not with the methode gives here but i start by doing a 2 beats and try to add an another swing and it have work

So it s nice

now i m trying the chasing the sun

i don't understand the goal of Thread the needle, is it nice or is it usefull for an another move ???

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
ok i ve got my answer

ttn is useful for advanced butterfly move

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You think you could out tick a watch or are you after something else?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i suppose im the one you exept to screem?

i dont mind it when people repeat threads just that day i was really pissed off,

if you are still battling with the one handed butterfly, dont worry it all takes time and the HoP lessons are really good just read over it a couple of times with your poi near by.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I love all you people

I am not talking the piss, I am just playing

there is only one problem, there are so many smiles in the above posts that my head is starting to spin, and I am getting dizzy.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Just a little tip, While trying All of the tricks on h.o.p play around a little too.The tricks listed are not the only ones around as i'm sure you know. See if you can link the tricks together, transitions are in my opinion as important as the tricks themselves. They enable you to put everything together, which from a performance point of view pleases the eye better and more importantly makes you feel like you are flowing.

Also there are inumerable other tricks and variations,see what happens if you flick your wrists at certain points in the tricks or turn around etc. also remember you can move your body around. I will be the first to admit that i am the most rigid spinner in the world but friends of mine (especially the females) twist and dance, everything down to facial expressions just add that little touch of style. (ooh idea for new thread!?)

Take influences from other activities breakdancing, mime artistry, ballet there are millions.

I hope that was a little help although i have just realised it doesn't actually answer your original question .but i cant be bothered to keep typing the sun has just come out so it's time to spin.

Tennis

Keep spinning.

My cat's breath smells like catfood

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I love you too
there is lot of smile because i ve got a bad reflex of typing i put ; p and each end of sentence.. so...

for the one handed butterfly.. i ve let down for the moment... but you start with a standart butterfly and you put the writon the same hand.. ok.. but do you avoid the chain's crossing ?

@+

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Why thank you.

the one handed butterfly is pretty hard and even the better poi people sometimes struggle with avoiding the chains hitting. but here's my offering.
If you are right handed, make sure the poi on your left hand is easy to take off.
Now do the forwards butterfly. keep a steady slowish rythmn. when your poi are like this

#-------oo-------#

pass the left hand chain in to your right hand and keep your rythmn the same but use the momentum of the chains to tell your hand when to move up and down.

The trick i have found to avoid the chains meeting is to hold the poi you have passed on to you right hand slightly up on the chain and not the hand strap. hope this makes sense.
Good luck

Tennis

P.s this trick usually takes ages to get but it's like learning to ride a bike. Once you get it, it stays in your head.

Have fun and don't worry about the bruises

My cat's breath smells like catfood

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
i can't imagine how OHB can work... i ll tray to watch video to have a good idea on how can it goes

concerning the style.. i think i m link you.. i don't dance, move etc etc... maybe with some music i ll.. but in my room.. with no musik, i stay rigid

for the moment.. i ve start only since 4 days.. i concentrate on basic move and some special move... when i ll have more move.. i ll tray the transitions... i also thinks transitions are imporant for a rigid spinner like me i should help to add style

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
once you get he weave and revease weave you will proberbly find you will love turning and danceing.

i myself love the feeling of turns and it give the audience something else to look at so if you screw up they sometimes dont realize.

and remember its all in the wrist let the wrist move and your moves become soooooooooo much smoother

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.