JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i have run a seach and there ar sooooo many wrap threads and i really dont have time to read this so :

What is a thru wrap?

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as i am told it is kind of a wrap release, where you goto wrap the poi say round your arm, than as you turn your arm behind you it unwraps, many combos and such like, there is a thru wrap thread at the bottom of this directory or by clicking this link>>> thru wrap thread

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
thanx that is what i thought, the thru wrap thread didnt explain it particually well

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, cool, I coined a term.

I dunno... I thought...
quote:
A 'Thru-wrap' is not a 'recoil wrap' where the poi runs out of chain and smacks against you and reverses direction. It is a wrap where the poi ALMOST do that, then you pivot your body to unwrap the chains before they have a chance to do that.

... was a pretty good explanation. Maybe it was my accent.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
see NYC discovered these last year at the european juggling convention, he calls em european wraps or some crap, all these names mean nothing to me, i just dislike that it has wrap in it cos i hate WRAPS and i dont wish to learn them, now thru thingies not calling it a wrap are tasty. mind you i said once that i hate hyperloops and now i can do them i think they are just lazy extra beats. but any way i am rambling here i need to shower and catch my flight to london.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
'just lazy extra beats'??!!?

take that back you heathen - they're extra beats with smaller circles.

remember: just cos you can't do them with your pseudo-clubs doesn't mean they're crap

good luck to yourself and the crew in brighton this week - hopefully see you @ the weekend (not doing wraps of any kind).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well being that I've stolen every move except thru-wraps from this site I sort of need a name for everything. I found no name for the entire genre of thru-wraps and so hate anything purposely misspelled (Kool-ade, froot-loops, and anything with the phrase "nite" in it) so I figured "thru-wraps" would be a cool way of referring to the move.

I still don't get the recoil wrap hate from across the pond but that's just me. What fun is fire if you can't bash it against various parts of your body to the beat of techno music? I know it's a specific type of move, but it's still poi as far as I'm concerned and deserves a place at least at big as hyperloops in the poi dictionary. They may not be the prettiest moves but nothin' I do is pretty anyway...

Also, remember that I'm a very small fish in a barely existant pond. I do need names or at least juicy descriptions to be able to steal moves.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
just lazy extra beats

them's fightin words! everybody knows airwraps are highly sophisticated ways of getting out of messups without looking like you messed up!! no more oopsie tangles... now they're just called "hyperoops"
uhhh, i mean, "hyperloops"

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
I still don't get the recoil wrap hate from across the pond but that's just me.
First time I've heard about it as well Anything that adds to potential movement is good by me

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
[shhhhh! i think its just pk that hates wraps cos he doesn't use poi - you can't do wraps with sticks on strings ]

the rest of us do use them but combos are rare over here - mainly used on one side only to get between butterfly and weaves.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually there's a bit of wrap hate here as well. I think because there's a bit of anti-raver vibe in some fire communities and the crazy wrap combos are usually favored by the glow stick crowd.

I spent a while learning a bunch of wraps and always do combos in my routines. And yeah, I feel the hate sometimes but I don't care. I'm also pro-glow, perhaps one of the few fire spinners in my area that "stoops" to glow sticks.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
quote:
and so hate anything purposely misspelled (Kool-ade, froot-loops, and anything with the phrase "nite" in it) so I figured "thru-wraps" would be a cool way of referring to the move.
parden mee, NYC, butt ainn't thru a mizspellen ov through? iranic, istn et?

skizlnutzlz

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey cole i havnt played with clubs for several months now even though they have been fixed, i have some nice fluffy pink poi that i practice with. too much te POOKaism and choreograph poi routines to sort out rather than play with clubs.
i can hyperloop (basic more than just lazy extra beat moves that have taken over the comunity) how ever i have just got airwraps. though my favs are isolations, but all is still very much new to my abillities.
and this all went pearshaped and off topic.