Page:
Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Who do you owe a big sloppy kiss to for getting you into Poi...your "Poi Mentor".Do those wonderful people a favour and namecheck them....they deserve it.Mine, "Sonny"...recently died in a car crash in Israel...we met in Jaipur, India....smoked shitloads of dope, had a mad day out on LSD in the monkey temple and Junagarh Fort.....a very genuine person and one who did'nt deserve to go.Missing you Sonny...love Dan

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
My poi mentor is kind of a collective conscious and fast music I suppose. Oh and me. I learnt some stuff off here but most of it with loud music in the backyward. And inside leaving soot marks EVERYwhere. I'm sorry to hear of your friend leaving you on this planet (one of mine decided flying through the stars was more fun fairly recently too). .. on the other hand I would say these awesome people DID deserve to go (cause they're obviously in a better place)...oh ..unless your an atheist.. or some other anti-funky-for-the-good-afterlife person.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I like the question and wish I had an answer, but alas, being one of the lonely self taught ones, I've no mentor, technically. I could say everyone on this board as I have learned a great deal from you all.However, my guru is Malcolm Crawshay wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 14 August 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Well I would have to say that I picked up the poi after seeing it lit a few times by various people on various beaches. For mentor status I would nominate a man whose name I can not remember but he recommended this board to me so maybe hell see this and recognize. Back in Dec of 00' while killing time in Bangkok I met a man taller than I, (doesnt happen often) who in his own words was a "jedi poi master." Saw him and some friends spinning on Khoa San and was able to see what you could do with some skillz. A Virginian (USA) i believe, with long hair and practice poi made out of cornhusks, he smoked a corn cob pipe and went barefoot. Anyway he and some others met up in a local park and I learned the basics over a couple of afternoons with them, forward and reverse weaves and a corkscrew, I think I had the butterfly already. Thanks man, I hope your travels continued well, Europe and selling juggling equipment right? Later Josh

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
A friend from high school showed it to me for the first time at Burning Man 2000 and then Jessica, a girl he knew, taught me the basics. Went back to SF a few months later and lit up with her for the first time. She'd be my poi mentor. Glad I'll see her again this year on the playa.Nomad

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
HoP is pretty much my Sensei so far. I was first introduced to Poi by a geezer called Ben from NZ. I met him on the Andaman Islands in India. (He looks a bit like the guy in the videos on this site, but I lost his email, and the one listed doesn't work.)Anyone out there know him? :-)~~M

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Aside from the unknown guy spinning 6in glowsticks in my local bar. I think Pele is my mentor if it wasn't for all them hours long chats over icq I wouldn't be feeling the way I do now adays. I'd prolly be in the hospital with steam burns over 90 percent of my body :P When I do get the chance to meet you pele you might wanna have a doctor around to fix your back from the HUGE bear hug your gonna get grin------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*blush*Thank you Knagi. I am glad I could help save your skin! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Backpacker2k -- Sorry to hear about your mentor frownAs a juggler, I've often been a mentor to my friend Melissa, but she was the one who taught me how to swing poi. She is far away, so I don't see her too much these days. I miss her frown and I think that contributes some to my obsessive poi swinging.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
My friend Nick got me into it, and I am happy I met him. I practiced a lot more then he did and found myself knowing more and more and more so now I hope to teach him a thing or two the next time I see him. Nick got me into it, HOP taught me the basics, and my Imagination and a couple of raves did the rest. I must thank that guy, James on the glasslab video, for teaching me new ways to wrap. I saw him spin a couple of times at the masterdome and took his wraps and built on them. Everyone on here pushes me to better myself, it may sound petty or vain, but I want to be the best Glow spinner out there. Fire is a whole different story, I would never dub anyone "the best" with fire, but with glows, my main motivation is to grow higher and learn more than anyone. This is my holy grail, my fire inside, and if no one likes it I don't mind. I appologize if I upset anyone but it's gotten me this far and the better someone else gets the harder I push myself. ERIC

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
Backpacker..soz to hear about ur sensei...I'd have to agree with Splat. In my opinion, my dad (who died of cancer 4 years ago) is a rat bastard bein in heaven atm...Why did he get so lucky? :-) Just jokin ofcourse...(And NO i am NOT suicidal...:-))Newayz, i know this hasnt got nething to do with poi, just thought id share it with ya.. :-)Happy Stringin'!!!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I had to reply ... Myst your commitment may be respectable but you just made me feel like breaking into the Pokemon cartoon song! smile "I want to be..the very best..like no one -"I'll save y'all ears okay..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Shadowblademember
57 posts

Posted:
jez from london is my poi jedi (thanks dave)one day i will supass his skill and than i will have to beat him to death with his new staff :[

MogliGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
Naomi and Zerena are to thank for my addiction to poi.I met them in Krabi, Thailand, and spun for a week with them firing up on the last two nights.Thanks girls. smile------------------Live life, don't just exist.

Live life, don't just exist.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Girlfrommars, my better half got me started and showed me this site in fact...Though I had seen the art many other places, Until i saw her doing it I figured I wasn't coordinated enough, boy was I wrong.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
shocked grin shocked grin shockedSo many names to mention...and to remember....it all goes back to a party at the Treehouse backpackers in Mission Beach (Queensland OZ, you have to see this place to adam and eve it)I spotted a young man doing fire...next to the bonfire...and was determined to do this one day, I was mezmerised.....I then found a group of performers in Byron Bay who gave a workshop....and of coarse I was shit but I had faith in myself...later that month I got some poi from Glebe market in Sydney and had a quick lesson from a loverlee lady.....I was then practising all the time...I made my own poi.....and went to The Newtown workshop in Sydney, I learnt cross and follow here...I then took them to Thailand and messed about on the beach a bit(I actually waited till it got dark coz I don't like people watching me, when I was that shite)...and then I came home and started at the Drome.......and finally HoP...truly great!!So really it's all down to the people I came in to contact with during that time...I cannot name you...but I have to thank you for inspiring me to get better...I really enjoy learning new stuff...I also must mention the folk at the DROME as there are some truly class people there who have helped me out...Sam and Keith from SA and of course mr Dimitri Ogden...he is a legend....and loads of others there who regulary stop what they are doing to help out......YOU ARE ALL MY POI'ING GURU MENTORS....much love to you!!Annie C

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Backpacker, Nothing to add, but I am really sorry for you.I think your thread is beautifull becauser I really beleive one should always thank the ones who have given you hapinness and light !So a big thank you to Itai, my little Prince and also to Miss Kat Rainbowflow. But also thank YOU guys on the nboard, you bring me a lot...with all my tendernessShine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Thanks CassandraA pretty touching reply. I feel the same way to. You've gotta thank the ones who have spent so long doing something they love and have dedication for, and then have the same dedication to share their skill with others who are willing to learn. It's a very genuine part of someones personality. Take "Superman" for example, he has helped me personally with that pain in the arse 5 beat weave by e-mailing me direct etc...he did'nt have to, but he did.....respect.I'm not trying to be over sentimental ....It's just something i feel really strongly aboutp.s Cassandra..... correct me if I'm wrong but do you come from the most amazing, beautiful city I've ever seen in my life?

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Annie,Did we meet at the Wednesday night fire jam when you were in Newtown? When were you in Sydney? If we have met, why don't I remember you? Damn my shonky memory! smile-------------My poi mentor????Well the person who introduced me to poi was my friend Linda. She doesn't do it very much any more frownMy mentors would have to be my mates from The Wick Effect. Since meeting FlashFire, Frenzie, Bezerker and Stomp in January this year, I've morphed from an average twirler into a pretty good firedancer, who has overcome stage fright and takes performing in her stride. Finn smile [This message has been edited by Finn (edited 16 August 2001).]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Backpacker... I do come from Paris, city of lights , love and amazingly arrogant selfish pricks ... what can I say ? winkHope you'll come and spin there some time !!!Shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hmmm...as far a mentors i've had a couple of folks who have helped me out along the way. probally my biggest thanks would go out to an odd fellow by the name of richard who introduced me to fan dancing a long time ago (seven years! wowzer!) he taught me the basics of fan dancing (sally rand burlesque style) and build me a set of BIG ostrich feather fans (they are as tall as i am when fully out folded.) (go to the where to buy fans discussion thread for a link to a picture of me with them)....next on my list would be the circus folks that i met at a wisefool camp a couple of years ago. i learned basic fire things there and i met joe mamma who provided the basics of my understanding of fire safety. lots of what i learned comes from the mentors of chance, questions, practice, mistakes, and observation.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Hmmm I don't know about a big wet sloppy kiss - don't think Josh would appreciate that!!He and Katinca were the first people I saw twirling fire. I had seen some others using non-fire poi, but I wanted to control fire
Non-Https Image Link
They still inspire me each time I see them twirl and I just keep learning from them.(Thanks by the way!)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
this is such a tender thread...obvoiusly something that we all look back fondly on huh...my poi mentor, is the wonderful Spanish Lady Rosa, who travels oz in her combie doing markets and playing and selling her toys...she patiently watched and gave her inspiration and taught me when we both worked on yachts in the Whitsundays in 2000, i played some djembe for her on deserted beaches as she magically moved with colourful poi, i wished to do it and one day i could and the rest is history...much love Rosa and my english Allycat...

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey Bendy the only person that gives Josh big wet sloppy kisses is me smileThanks for the compliment, it was really nice to watch you spin to the other night. You are getting heaps of moves. Hopefully we will see you this Friday night. Lots of people are coming by the sounds of it.As for me, I was introduced to poi briefly by Josh, but he really didn’t know how to do to many moves at that time. It wasn’t until I met a girl called Josie, from New Zealand, who was staying with a friend of Josh’s family that I really got to see what fire-poi looked like. We went down to the beach one night and she lit up. To me she looked amazing; it was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. So from that day I decided to learn. She showed me how to do forward weave and a few other tricks. Then I made my own practice set, and that was it. I was away and started. And here I am today.Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
dont really know mine... went to run to the sun in may/june this year and saw a girl dressed in bright pink fluffy clothes, twriling pink fluffy parctice poi in the chill out tent!... it was really weird. no one was watching at the time (i think everyone was pretty monged) but i was transfixed... later she was doing fire outside the tent and it was amazing... as soon as I got home i made some practice poi out of paris of old socks and string, which were quickly replaced with tennis balls on finding this site... ...almost all of my moves have come from this site, so thanks guys!anyone know who the mistery femme at RTTS was?! Is anyone going to RTTS 2002? hopefully see some of you there (newquay)... smile

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
I don't have a mentor. frown I had seen several people dance with glowsticks on strings, but it wasn't until after I watched a fire performance at a local club I got really interested. I didn't even know what it was called but a friend that was with me new it was called poi. From there I researched the topic on the web and found this site. I have self taught with the lessons and discussion topics.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
I agree with Backpacker; great topic. Don't have one mentor myself but I was initially inspired by a girl I watched for ages on mushrooms at a festival.When I was in NYC in September I didn't have any fire chains with me, just practice poi. I met some really great mentors in Union Sq and then in Brooklyn, just after Sept 11th. U know who you are but I thought this'd be a great opportunity to thank Skunk, Erin, Gear, Jen, the guy who taught me staff in Union Sq (sorry, I forgot your name) and all the other people I met. It was good to meet you all and thanks for making me feel at home. And Gear cheers for staying up all night in Central Park all night and helping me perfect my backwards weave wink

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've got lots of credit to spread around.- I got into poi in the first place, indirectly, because of my ex.- I learned my basic repertoire of moves through this site.- I've learned a lot about style from some of the local twirlers I admire--Sage, Kate, Andrew. Whether I've succeeded in putting those lessons into practice is another matter.- I've picked up moves from some other locals, including this forum's Bassman, Jeff, Sage, and others.- There are other people that have been a good influence on my twirling in one way or another, but that's a start.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, my poi mentor, a toughy, im kinda self taught, but the person who first showed it to me was Hitokage, who posts irreguarly on these boards, and now we kinda push each other to get better, so i guess hed be the closest ive got to a mentor, he still kicks my ass in staff though...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

gaelmember
1 post

Posted:
i first saw fire poi at the burning man festival in '99 (and 00, and 01). couldnt take my eyes off of the twirlers. i wandered the desert at night searching for more. incredible stuff, that.------------------i live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here

i live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, not sure about mentor, but the guy that taught me alot in one night was John / Jonathan who organises the local fire-spin meet each week. I turned up on my own and on the first night came away with four new tricks and a new load of mates (awwww...) including one I hadn't seen for 2 years.YayGood Topic!!------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: