JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
this thread should proberbly be in social but hey wtf!

i want to know how good i am because i know very few spinners and everyone that sees me spin asks me how good i am in comparison to the rest of spinners.

i can do a btb weave (backwards i think its called) double forearm wraps bf weave and 4b weave are what i consider my hardest tricks. i can sort of do a 5b weave but not quite,

peace out maaaaan!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
You are always better than you were yesterday, but not quite as good as you will be tomorrow.

That's if you practice every day of course, otherwise you wouldn't be any.... oh, nevermind - you get the idea.

Seriously though, it's impossible to 'rank' people, even in a comunity smaller than 4000, because style cannot be quantified.

[ 26. April 2003, 22:16: Message edited by: Jo ]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I thought i was pretty good when i could do that. But now i realise there are no limits. Keep pushing and soon u will reach a stage where u will see endless progression. Then u will understand that there is no-good or bad. There only is. U should neva reach a stage when u cant learn something new. Although u can stagnate.

The better u get, the more u realise u know nothing.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
How many of those moves are truely yours ?
that is how I rank people by what original moves they come up with .Or how they put moves toghter.
myself I have 4 varies with nothing btb .It is just how I present those 4 simple moves that makes it look like i know what i am doing
I agree with dragon there is no good or bad there is only you and the poi.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I rank you 23rd degree Magenta Spidermonkey.

Here is your offical badge and a big purple cloak.

Seriously, you're very good. You can do twisty things with your wrists that would make at least 98% of the population go "what the f~ck" if they were actually concentrating on what you were doing, rather than thinking about what they're going to have for dinner.

But of course, you could be infinitely better, literally (ever read Jonathan Livingston Seagull?)

Difficult moves are only temporarily impressive. When i started spinning, the people i was around were going 'whoah there CRAZY!' when someone did behind the back. They don't do that anymore. Well, they do, but now its isolations and hyperloops. They'll be old hat in a year or so and everyone will be blown away by Levitations or Spacewarps or whatever.

Moves mean nothing in the long term. Style, grace and a nice arse is the key

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
tis true my friend

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I think how good you are is more dependant on your flow between moves, rather than the difficulty of the moves themselves. If you can do the moves you say and move between them fluidly and continuously, than you could probably count yourself as good.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Fire By Riz tm:
myself I have 4 varies with nothing btb .It is just how I present those 4 simple moves that makes it look like i know what i am doing
I agree with dragon there is no good or bad there is only you and the poi.

I really like how you put this, and I could not agree more.

Rating people is physical arts is too hard. There are so many variables. There are so many things to look at and concider. There are as many perspectives to what is good as there are people out there. One person will look at technical, another flow, someone else dance style....
In the end what it comes down to is this...

How good do you feel?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Personally it's about presence and creativity . And how you link the moves .

I mean it's dosn't look good if you pause to change into a move dose it?.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The way I see it is if these people are asking you how you compare to others, you werent that great. It means you left something to be desired and when its with an audience that really has never seen this before, they're usually awe struck or disappointed. When you finish a routine and you look up to find 30+ people in a ring around you staring wide eyed and mouths gaping, you know youre pretty damn good

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
ok so i understand its difficult to rank someone but lets see,

i try to make my moves fluid if i have to stop or do open spinnig (left poi left side right poi right side) to get into a trick i dont do the trick.

the only trick i have been taught is the 3b weave all the other ones i think of myself, only to find they already exist, i looked at lessons and there are a few tricks i wanna do but most i can do as proberbly the same for the majority of the guys that use this discution.

i understand im good now judging by the reaction to the topic but like a wise man once said:

"You are better than you where yesturday worse than you will be tommorrow"

It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
the wise man is you Jo

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I reckon Raging Dragon hit the nail on the head;

"Keep pushing and soon u will reach a stage where u will see endless progression. Then u will understand that there is no-good or bad. There only is. U should neva reach a stage when u cant learn something new. Although u can stagnate"

So true.

If you are the best you can be, then you are the best you can be - simple. I bet you arent tho! I've not ever met any really talented twirlers who thought they were the best...or couldnt improve or innovate...

Josh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
pilgrim hehe

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
jo is GOD but he is my son, what does that make me??

being good aint all its cracked u pto be.
be what you want and be how good want to be by the time and effort that you put into your self.