Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > handles, suicides, throws, hyperloops....

Login/Join to Participate

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ok... been playing with essentially small meteors, heavy double ended poi in other words...

and they make for beauteous noo manooovers. first of throws are a piece of piss.. also muuuuch easier are sucide wraps... and most fun of all are suicide hyperloops. just got one starting btb bringing it round the front with the removed hand coming round in the other direction.... (ps gilligans become more fun too with these... )

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Now you need to do doubles with them

PS-How long are they?

[ 22. April 2003, 08:28: Message edited by: Astar ]

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Double Meteors?

Schweeet.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeerrrm.... they already two of them... do ou mean with 4?

confoosed
R

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One meteor = one length of rope with weight/poi/balls on either end

two meteors= two of item number one. One for each hand. Poi-esque movements then take on the notion of quadruple poi and the staff like movements take on the life of double stave. Shorter meteors are required to do this, generally.

Truth be told, double meteor is really not that impressive because it is very like the poi and stave counterparts. One meteor has such a life with wraps and switches and coils and such that really it, imho, is one of the tools where two is way too many.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I missread. I thought you were just talking about a really short meteor. Two of them is crazy.

Pele maybe two is only too many because no one has spent enough time trying to make it work.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually Astar, I have seen people who do two meteors, and do them exceptionally well. It is not uncommon in the Chinese circus at all, in fact. And I can say, from seeing it, that it does not lend itself to the art of meteor in anyway, but rather detracts from the nuances that make the meteor different from staff or poi spinning in the first place. But again, it is mho.

Pele

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeerrrm. pele i couldn't disagree more...

double short (1m at present) have allowed me to develop both staff and poi moves without detracting from the meteorness of them... why would you want to only play with something if it was different from something you already do?
Perhaps i misunderstood you tho...

anyway tho the wraps and switches are there idf you want them to be... just have to work at it... and again in the same way that many people think double staffs are not so good cause you lose a lot of things you can do with only one, there are loads of things you can do with two that you can't even dream of with one.....

just one thing i worked out the other day....btb suicide hyperloop, catch the suiciding poi(either end!) and suicide the other... then throw at will(only if will is near enough to be hit... )

if that is possible with normal poi or single metoeors i will personally licjk the boots of that person(or at least get pk to do it.... )

all meant in a humourful and non argumentative way i promise....

Love
R

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bluecat:
why would you want to only play with something if it was different from something you already do?

Because it is different silly. That is what attracted me to it in the first place. The challenge of something new, not the familiarity of something I have done 1,000 times before!

Pele

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Bluecat, you should hunt down Ewan aka SpacemonkE. He runs the Spittalfields market workshop in London.

His double meteor stuff is rather lovely, especially on rollerblades

Not to mention the fact that if you come down to London then certain people would be able to pester you for double staff lessons

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
misunderstood you then pele... but still seems like an odd opinion because as i appear to be saying againandagainandagain it IS different....hmmmm

be there in two weeks monkey boy...
R

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
just looking