MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I apologize. It's another music thread. But hopefully this one's a bit different.

OK, so a friend has asked me to spin at a party that he's having. Problem is he's going to be spinning a lot of jungle and drum n' bass at the party.

Now, I can spin well to trance, house, eurodance, etc. If it has more than 80 BPM, I can manage.

But drum n' bass is more like in the 20 BPM range.

I'm not exactly sure how I would answer this question if I were asked it, but can anyone give tips on how to spin to these genres? How about hip-hop?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am thinking that I really don't understand the trouble here Mike. Jungle still has a defineable rhythm. Just slow your spinning accordingly. Use split time to keep stuff really flowy without looking too overly symetrical all the time.
Slow-er is a speed too. Just work with it now.
Foot work and body movement does become more important (is that the word I want to use???), when the music is slowed down. Move around your poi more than moving your poi around you.

I hope this helps?
Reading back on it...prolly not!
Sorry!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
If you can spin to all that other stuff, you can spin to drum n' bass! I spin to it pretty often. Try out a track before the party and see how it feels! Just follow the music and have fun!!

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
There is one guy here in edmonton who spins quite well to dnb and the like. It's all in the footwork. I believe it's a pop'n'lock step similar to the moonwalk only he can go in any direction. Gives the impression of gliding, your feet move but you don't go in the direction one would think.

Pele is right about the body movement too. When the poi don't move as fast they also don't captivate the audience in quite the same way. It would be up to your dancing to keep them interested. Move forwards and back, do more spins, move your upper body with the poi. Just a few ideas.

I've found spinning at slower speeds requires a much 'looser' spining technique. When you spin more quickly you can get away with keeping your arms and wrists much more rigid than you can spinning slowly (I'm guessing that's why all the newbie spinners I've met spin quite quickly). Try to relax and just let the music move you.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I highly recomend...not worrying about it. Trust me, no matter what your spinning to, it always fits. Just close you eyes and feel it. you can do it. You can take a video of spinning and put almost any music to it, and it wll look ok.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
Just close you eyes and feel it. you can do it.
I agree that you will be great, but since this qualifies as a performance...don't close your eyes!

Have you downloaded or obtained any d-n-b music and tried it out? Practice, practice, practice.
Isn't that the chant on this board?

Pele

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I ment close your eyes and feel it, and THEN start your performance...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oops...OOOOOOoohhhhh....I was tired!

Pele

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
you can also spin at twice the rythm rate as well if you find it impossible to slow down.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning...:
Now, I can spin well to trance, house, eurodance, etc. If it has more than 80 BPM, I can manage.

But drum n' bass is more like in the 20 BPM range.

No it isn't... most drum and bass falls around 170 BPM compared to around 145 BPM for house or trance. You just need to get used to not using the kick drum for timing but rather the snares and hihats

"Moo," said the happy cow.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I love hiphop dj stuff (like Q-Bert, Shadow, Cut Chemist etc) but find most of it totally impossible to spin to because of the wierd unpredictable changes in rythym.

Also I find some random tunes are really hard to spin to, because the beat is just a bit too fast, but if i try to spin to every other beat then its just a bit too slow.

I call them Awkwardcore. I'm thinking of making an awkwardcore complilation cd, putting it on at spinning meetups and sitting back to watch the fun

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
OOohhh, so that's how you dance to drum and base. Not the snares. No wonder it seems impossible.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
20 BPM! Ha! I don't think any song in history has been written at 20 BPM. Maybe a durge. Metronomes don't even go that slow.

Actually I got a metronome to play with some mixing and stuff. It's pretty cool to know what I'm talking about in terms of BPM. It turns out I like anything between 140 and 145 BPM to dance or glowstick to. Slower for fire. More of a hip hop 90 bpm kinda beat for me. What can I say, I'm picky.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Found this on the web.

hip hop 85-95 bpm
down tempo / trip hop 95-120
techno 130-140
trance 135-145
house 130-140
jungle 185-195
hard core 180+

Though I think that's a general range. I know I have slower hip-hop as well as faster.

Still smirking at the idea of 20 bpm. "Dude, you guys wanna go and get a drink?" "Na man, I think the next beat is coming up soon..."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
HEY!!! be nice

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh crap. You're right. It does sound upon reread that I was being a jerk. Sorry.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I love spinning to D&B.

You can spin to every beat if you have a lot of energy and if you keep the moves simple.

Or... you can spin to every other beat to chill it out for a while.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
poi is really good for teaching you odd beats, for example, if you fit the three beat weave over something thats four four and cross over on each downbeat, you doing 6/8 or sommit, or the five beat weave and some of the carries which end up being a beat and a half.

remember also that drum and bass operates on two levels, the backbeat thats like reggae, heavy stepping, and the top beat madness that is the snares and stuff. try alternating your poi between the diffrent levels.

Spinning slow is really nice, I like doing 'underwater' poi to MnM. try adding something for a little wind resistance and you ficd you can go even slower. Flow and controle.

L8r

Nix? (in the poi moves section OMG! )

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti