Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > suggestions turning the BTBW?

Login/Join to Participate

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Okay.. So I've been doing the reverse BTBW a few months now and just got the forward BTBW two days ago. I'm set on 360 turns over the weekend (though prepared to deal if it takes longer). I can turn from reverse to forward to the left but am having problems getting my hands in position to go back into reverse and complete 360 degrees... If anyone could help me out by describing where the hands should go to turn into reverse, it would be awesome! Meanwhile, I'll keep tryin and see if I can get it together!!!!!! thanks!

I'm tryin' to visualize and realize!!!!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I guess the old advice and practice helped 'cause now I can do the 360 spinning to the right...As always it seems simple after you figure out what you've gotta do! Now I've gotta get it down in the other direction....
spin spin spin

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Hey man, i dont really have any GOOD advice about hand movement etc even though i can do that move, but i can tell u a personal secret.

(and its not like u hav'nt heard this before)
Learn every alternate move, dont have a weakness. Make your weakness your strength by doing that move till it's equal to the opposite.

I was having problems learning that reverse turning btb, but u just have to keep doing it, and learn from your own mistakes, and change/ evolve so u dont make them again. I love that move, and hopefully when u get it, u will see a whole new world of possibilities, and variations. But that takes time (nothing good happens overnight), so enjoy yourself and have some fun. And it will come.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
And if that dos'nt work try this complicated description:

Its called dragon wing around here but whatever turns u on.

Put left hand behind u, wrap l-hand poi over r-hand bicep. Right hand should be vertical. Now hang r-hand poi down where left poi is. (down by bicep).

Ok that is the starting point, (and also a massive thru wrap when u can do it). Now swing the poi off your right arm and start rotating (f-weave)to your right side and turn. From there u will find your own way and that is just good to get u use to the feeling, and movement of the poi.

U can also do this on the other side, to get forward weave turning left. Hope u could understand description, otherwise just go back to having fun

(This is also a good way to learn btb 5/6 beat weaves and wraps)

[ 21. April 2003, 21:14: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
my best advice is to just go for it. you'll wack yourself a whole bunch, but eventually your body will learn it. Then your mind can learn it.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice. Practice is always the answer it seems... I just like to be sure there's no secrets I'm missin' out on! I was pretty much just not turning my body around fast enough to follow the poi. It's gettin' smoother now, so I guess I'll just keep on practicin' till I can do it without even thinking about it in both directions.... Alright, guess it's back to the practice part!

- that Dragon Wing sounds kinda cool, but I'm kind of a visual learner, so it might be awhile 'fore I attempt it! - great comment about working up your weakness. I've been building up my forward behind the back with butterflies and other moves and that's why the forward weave finally became a reality... Now it's almost as strong as my reverse - therefore becoming a strength... The possibilities are opening up!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have a hint, don't use beaming poi.
Ouch.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
hmm trying to learn how to turn round witht the forwards and backwards BTB weave nicely just my feet have a mind or their own, they move round too early too late or forget to move at all

I guess practice is all it takes

i think swinging you hips helps somtimes in order to fully dodge the poi but i guess that pretty much is the moment of turning yourself around

Never assume
Always Acknowledge