Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Recoil Wraps with Long Chains... Help!

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There's some strangeness going on in my poi world. I've always been a short chain spinner. I've been trying desperately to get used to longer chains so I can include thru-wraps and other long-chain moves which can't be done with short chains. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my recoil wraps down with long chains. I wrap the chain around my hands to shorten them but that doesn't seem to work. Holding the chains doesn't give me the control that straps do.

I can't get my recoil wrap clean unless I'm using short chains which have been strapped to my hands.

Any ideas?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Make your arms shorter? I dunno hun - but I'm sure you'll get lots of sensible feedback from other more mature residents

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
adapt and overcome. You just need to practice spinning with your chains wraped around your hands. I first started "poi" simply holding onto chains. Then, much latter I had to learn to use leather loops, then I had to learn holding the chain wrapped around my hand to shorten it.

Long story short, I had to relearn poi several times, but, you CAN do it. It just takes practice. I don't don't have any problems now, switching back and forth.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean DJD. I learned glowstick and fire at the same time and feel like I'm one of the few who's equally proficient in both (not that I'm good, just that both feel comfortable.) Actually, it's always funny for me to watch the really awesome fire spinners in my area try to do glowsticks. It ends up with a shreek of "They're so light!" and tangled string.

I am finding it relatively OK to transfer all tricks from short to long. I like the different looks you can get with both.

It's just the recoil wraps that really aren't transferring well...

I certainly understand that I need to practice. Then again, when I was desperately trying to get the BTB weave people kept telling me "Dude, you just gotta practice"... I did this for months until thankfully a friend told me the real answer: "Dude, you gotta bring your left hand more to your right side."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
OH, OH, OH, I go it!!! your long chains are probably a slightly different length after they are wraped around your hands once, as opposed to the length of your short chains. When I went to long chains it sort of messed me up, untill I go the idea to wrap them around my hands a certain way every time, and cut the length of chain so the long chains were exactly the same length after I wraped around my hands as my short chains were normaly. Try it, I'll bet that is the problem!?!?!

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:

adapt and overcome.
Ahem ... I may not be a marine but I could have swore it goes adapt,improvise,overcome. Wouldn't want our resident marine to get upset because you didn't get it right.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I dont know NYC, but i have a Q also:

How do you do ie recoil wrist wraps with out burning your wrist's on the white hot metal?!?

Santana? Do you wear leather wrist guards? Or make it so the kevlar covers all the metal.?

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Man why does everyone go hog wild with head protection. A long sleeve shirt will protect you from burns off of hot metal. Don't believe me? Next time your poi are out grab the metal with a rag, it's not going to burn unless you hold onto it for awhile. Leather is overkill.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I dont wear a shirt, usually.

Acutally, after Pele's accident i think proper legit advice should be given. Cause if the heads even gets a little to close to my arms on a wrap, i end up with wire burns. Hell just the wire scraping me leave's scars.

Maybee u should think carefully before u send some newbe to hospital.

Keep it ....

*that may be a little harsh, but peoples lives are @ stake* I have 9 month old scars.

[ 15. April 2003, 17:32: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
at what lenght can you call the POI long chained?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
My personal definition of short and long chains goes like this:

Long - if it hits the ground when your arms are down at your side while you are standing strait up, then this begins to be long.

Short - if you can do the corkscrew entirely in front of your body (I call this the raver trick) without fear of bopping yourself in the face, then this is short.

I have two sets of chain legths that I like - medium length ones that just clear the ground when I do a giant butterfly, and long ones with twice that much chain length.

I actually find that I have more control over the chains when I shorten them with a hand wrap since this makes the thumb and forefinger the primary manipulators instead of the fore and middle finger which is where I keep my strap.

As for getting burned on wraps - either wear a shirt, kevlar/nomex sleeves, or whatever if you do the cotton wicks in a wire cage, or use well made kevlar wicks in a cathedral fold - this type minimizes exposed hot metal, especially on the parts that touch your skin during wraps. Note that kevar wick material with a fiberglass core does last longer, but will also leave you with more wick marks on your bare skin.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, Dragon, your gona think I'm crazy, but when I do the recoil wrist wrap, I rely on speed to not get burns. And I use "well made Kevlar" so there isn't any wire on the outside. My old homemade coton wicks were realy bad about burning me. the wire on the outside is very bad. But kevlar wicks tend to not have as much metal exposed, so if you hit yourself just right (quickly and acurately), you won't get a burn. Aside from that, even though I usualy don't do it, I recomend wearing long sleeve cotton shirts (not the fuzzy or thin kind)

On the double handcuff wrap, I rely on a few layers of chain (from the wrap) to protect me.

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I agree with dan, when I do wraps I just do them fast and accurately, and there isnt any time to get burnt.
I also agree that the wire/chain etc can leave you with some nasty scrapes if you arent careful, but if you perfect your wraps, you shouldn't even need to worry about that.
(What is this handcuff wrap you are talking about? I think I am doing it already, but just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I am not well versed in poi-terminology)

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
wire cage wicks are bad bad bad for wrapping. I did a run with some last month (borrowed of course), and ended up with four or five burns...from ONE RUN. I might get ONE burn in six runs using kevlar wicks on bare skin.

The handcuff wrap is where you put your wrists together and "punch forward" causing both poi chains to wrap around your wrists, untill they reach the end of the chain and the poi heads hit and "recoil" thus causing the poi to unwrap.

it can be done from a weave or a butterfly or a corkscrew...(haven't tried the corkscrew yet... )

https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/files/m2a_booty2_NEW_NEW.wmv

in the last ten seconds I do three of them, butterfly and weave versions.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I don't want to sound reckless here but no ones lives are at stake if they use proper precautions. If your wearing proper clothing, have a safety and are just doing fore arm wraps your not going to die. Unless your tangled up so bad that it's burning you for several seconds and no safety is ready to show up. In which case a leather sleve or nomex/kevlar isn't going to help you either.

So if you aren't practicing proper safety what the **** are you doing spinning fire poi?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
tell em astar!!! a little second degree burn never killed anybody...(unless it go infected with strep A (flesh eating bacteria)) ok, maybe thats not funny, my co-worker just got a slight case of it... It's ok now though. She got antibiotics, and I told her to put honey on it also (scientificaly proven to be the best "antibiotic" for use against flesh eating bacteria).

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ug... I hate when you write a long post and your computer crashes before you post...

Long story short:
Leather bracers and kevlar sleeves that I use are for costume purposed as well. It does buy me an extra 4 seconds to have them on I feel like.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]