jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
has anyone got any four poi (two one handed butterfly) moves they would like to share?

can anyone do moves with two butterflies?

sometimes i feel like im a lonely little outpost on the planet poi, and no-one understands

about a year ago i put up the first four moves that i taught myself, i know its real hard to do, but did anyone try them?
ive come up with some more moves since then, but progress is slow and invariably painfull (wooden poi you see)

soooooooo......... any ideas on four poi! anybody want some more moves or something

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hey Jonathan,

Haven't progressed to four poi yet but i would love to see some basics done smooth if you manage to post some video at all.

Bet footwork is a big key to not getting bruised.

Is it possible to thread the needle with two butterflies? what about butterfly weave?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Why not just use two meteors?

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I use 4 poi. 2 long is more fun though. There are many old school techniques for holding 4, and everyone has different style. Most of the old traditional masters hold them with the same fingers. But i hold 1 with index and 1 with little finger, then make a fist. That method makes it eaiser to weave 4 poi, as they sit at alternate times better.

As for b-flyz the old method is best. But to make it eaiser, make 1 poi a little shorter than the other. 4 poi is more limited than 2, unless you have jedi skills, or are real lucky.

Can you do 5bt weaves and wraps with 4?

I tried btb weaves but it seems a little excessive.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i havent tried it but i have thought of making, some short poi and attaching the poi to either end of a stick( or something)

like meteor but with a pole in the middle of the chain,

then make to of those so you have basically four poi (well the ends anyway).

light up and spin,

would this work or am i just stupid.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I have actually played with two full length poi on the end of a half-meter stick before. I is really pretty cool, and allows you some new possibilities that combine the crazy use of multiple planes (poi) with the hand switches and finger movement of a staff. You can do a lot of weird staff moves, but combined with the poi they look INSANE and are hard to control. Fun though.
Carl

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
"Most of the old traditional masters hold them with the same fingers.

R Dragon, could you possibly share with me who some of these old traditional masters are please. I would love to do more research if i had some names/books or even sites to look at.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
......and why not use two meteors like Astar mentioned above? Do you let go or change grips in a way that would be compromised if you had two long lengths of chain or cord?

Surely two meteors would open up a whole bunch of techniques and moves that 4 poi don't allow?

Or...

.... do you just have 4 odd poi and wanna make use of them! Your not the evil dude who stole 1 poi off me are you? now it all makes sense

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
These "so called" old school traditional masters dont have books or videos. They do poi on the marae, or at kapa haka competions. Generally they are the big old fat guys/ gals who train the kapa haka.

Unfortunatly, the chances u have to witness these people are verry slim, even if you are in new zealand.

Thats not to say people HERE (h.o.p) are not as good, modern is more fun and has elements that old school lacks.(hyperloops, btb)

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Ragin Dragon is right about the "old school". I started with old and even do a little twirling with four, very little. It blew my mind seeing the modern stuff and opened a new world. Now I just have to figure the stuff out.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I don't do that much one handed butterfly, but I do some pretty sweet 4-poi moves, double meteor style. Burningman Festival 2001 was the first time I ever managed to pull it off. Up at 'Illuminaughty' @ 10:00. A Poi Epithany no less

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
If you use that fist technique u wont need to cheat with a stick in between your poi, cause it is the same thing.

Chuckymember
2 posts

Posted:
I had a go at this a while ago, but I don't have two sets of poi so I haven't done too much.

Something that I found was quite cool, was doing one weave infont and one weave behind. You can swap over which hand is where and stuff.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
my poi are tied together in the middle, so what i call a poi i guess might be a meteor........

as for that luck and jedi skillz, well!!

i have figured out a few weaves for 4 poi (unless your doing 2 butterflies i reckon ya might as well be doing two staves) but thats just plain old mind bogglingly difficult. it involves doing split time butterflies out of sink with eachother, thats hard to do even without trying to weave them.

i think there are a lot of good modern moves around these days, and pretty much anything with one poi in each hand is quite simple, but yet fun and effective.

however, i dont think i would have got my honourary nga puhi membership if i wasnt hefting around a couple of kgs of wood.

pointless blathering aside, i personally think that there are way more possibilities with 4 poi c/w 2, but maybe im a bit more obsessed with 4 than most people (6 years now!!) so i can see over the brow of that hill i have come to know as......... "how on earth am i ever gonna be coordinated to do any of that crazy shit"

i know quite a few people who can use 4 poi like staves but i find it to be unsatisfying (and heaps easier) than butterflies.

i also think that if your technique is good enough then you dont have to have one poi shorter/ lighter or what ever, in fact it becomes a bit ungainly. thats not to say i didnt used to do it, just not anymore

blah blah blah blah>>>>>

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Sure, but my poi are all sets of different lengths. Im really getting into 4 poi weave wraps non-recoil. Not sure if its possible to do hyperloops, but anything is possible with poi. Just depends on how much time u put into it.

Quote *" and pretty much anything with one poi in each hand is quite simple, but yet fun and effective."*

I would'nt call 9bt btb weave wraps, and btb or other hyperloops simple. Although they r fun, and effective.

[ 14. April 2003, 15:49: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
true enough!!

but i was meaning when compared with two poi in one hand, or two poi in both hands

oh yeah, i dont know anything to do with 4 poi if your not talking butterflies, so other ways of using 4 poi are always good to be discussed

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
cool. I just finished some sets (4 poi) and it was real fun. Sometimes its cool to just swing them round and see what happens

Are you getting into 4 poi weave wraps? They r lots of fun, and way eaiser than they seem.

What types of weaves are you doing? And beats etc.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
why don't you try a 4 poi butterfly hyperloop!?!?!? I can see it in my mind, so it must be possible.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmm..how to explain this?

Two one handed butterflies. After you get done with all the fun wraps and such possible (Mex wave very fun here)...try this....

Butterfly out in front, one forward swing, one reverse. One poi will be coming down on the inside as the other is coming up. They tangle enough to do an airwrap/hyperloop/shizbot/whatever you call it...the key to getting out is timing...pulling each set in the correct motion at the correct time. Then do a quick leg wrap with each to reverse direction and maintain flow.

Not that I am fluid or that you would be seeing a video of this for the next couple of years it takes me to get it fluid! It is possible.

And btw...the standard meteor length is too long to really do much with 4 except get into a tangled mess.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK