Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, I've been meaning to get a definitive thru-wrap thread started. I know I had some questions about them a while back and I've been playing with them for the last few weeks and Dom had some words of wisdom about them. I'm not even sure how many of y'all do them.

For those not in the know:
A 'Thru-wrap' is not a 'recoil wrap' where the poi runs out of chain and smacks against you and reverses direction. It is a wrap where the poi ALMOST do that, then you pivot your body to unwrap the chains before they have a chance to do that.

So far I've got...

Forearm Weave Thru-wraps: Which enable crazy things like 9 beat weaves and such. You can either wrap on only one arm on both sides (giving an even beat count) or switch arms between each rotation (giving odd beat counts.)

Forearm Butterfly Thru-wraps: So wrap one arm while butterflying, turn 180 degrees and unwrap in reverse buttefly. I actually find reverse => forward much easier. Note: when I tangle in this one I REALLY tangle making it a bit sketchy to do with fire.

Forearm Corkscrew wraps: Seems very easy to wrap a wrist while in the bottom half of a corkscrew, then bring it above your head to unwrap.

Neck wraps: Bring your hand to your neck, wrap while leaning forward, lean your head back and unwrap.

I understand (but can't yet do) every variation of the above in every direction. Forward, backwards, left arm, right arm, etc...

Are there any I'm forgetting?

[Sorry, I don't have time to explain the moves to those who don't yet know it but perhaps I'll go back and give instructions for each. I just wanted to see if there were any genres that I was forgetting. I guess I could get some legs involved but that sounds a bit crazy and spaztic.... Hrmmm... ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
hm, longer chains would allow for more variations to the same arm thru-wrap. If I don't have the wrist all the way to my shoulder it will most likely mess up.

another one (I think this is a thru-wrap). From a 5-beat weave. Wrap one poi once around your hand durring the 5-beat, then as it moves to the other side unwrap the wrapped poi while simultaniousely wrapping the other. I know similar things have been discused before as means to shorten/lengthen your poi mid-routine.

A bit of a tangent: From btb spin btl. As the poi comes infront of you pick up that leg (right poi, right leg and vice versa) and go to wrap the knee. Here you can either pull off a weak thru-wrap (still a little shakey on what exactly you are talking about with the leg thru-wraps) or bend your leg so that the back of your knee has hold of your poi chain. You can then let go of your poi and use your leg to bring it back btb where you then grab the handle.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah - as Jaeden points out, you dont need mega length poi to do these moves, its more to do with the technique you use to wrap the arm.

Best of Luck NYC

Josh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
All true indeed.

But with long chains you can do two and three rotations which are kinda fun.

Working on transferring moves from long to short and vice-versa.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
personally i liked the idea of calling them 'european'(for thru wraps) and 'american' wraps... if only cause then you would have the 'european oxter wrap' and the 'american double crotch wrap'

if your poi are long enough you can do vast quantities of turns mid-thruwrap.

another idea i've been playing with is using the hand in the same way you use the other poi in hyperloops, cuttting accross the second poi at the desired length... makes for some funny circles(and incidentally seems to work best in quartertime making L-shapes....)

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
quote:
Oh, and injuring your knee during sex over Passover? That CAN'T be kosher.

i suppose being a non-kosher act and all on the most kosher of days is sin enough for the allmighty to smite my knee with a sprain...but it's healing quite quickly this time; NYC would you be down for a little thru wrap practice sesh tonight at wash or union square? call me...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
been investigating leg through wraps, got a couple...

forward poi on rith siade in the side plane, lift right leg and put poi through, move right leg across the front to left, legs are crossed, poi come out left side.

can be done backwards, just move leg behind to the left or start with it crossed and move it back.

looks and feels wicked, like it shouldent happen. great!

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hey, I don't have too much to contribute yet, as I'm not an expert and it seems like you have the normal stuff down, but I should be able to find some good stuff for you in a bit.

The thing is that I am a serious yo-yo player, and when you're doing a two-handed performance, it is impossible to do recoil wraps, as hitting the yo-yo on your body will kill the spin.

So, several players have become pretty amazing at "thru-wraps" (just called wraps for yo-yos). I'll see if I can find some videos with the most thru-wraps and post the links to them.

All the stuff with sleeping yo-yos should directly apply to poi (except the string being longer than most people have their poi). However, in some wraps, one yo-yo will be sleeping while the other is looping. Since a yo-yo doesn't just circle but actually retracts and extends during loops, it gives more possibilities. However, if you temporarily shortened one of the poi, you could probably pull off most of the same things.

One other trick I haven't actually seen anyone else doing with poi... this is neither a recoil or thru-wrap. In yo-yos it is called a burner, like elbow-burner or knee-burner. The easiest way of doing it would be to hav a poi going backward direction, stick out your elbow slightly so it starts to wrap around it. Then you release it before it starts wrapping multiple times and re-wrap it. If you do it correctly, it should make the poi do smaller than usual circles, pinwheeling with the elbow as its center.

Coleman, keep at it. I can do a neckwrap fine from a breakaway, and I've seen people do it with two yo-yos at once...

Shawn

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hehehe... thru wrap hyperloops.....

edit: should expand really....

got a couple of these now after trying the leg one in brighton a couple of weeks ago... armpit one works beautifully... now trying the neck... hurts tho when its wrong... i think there is a same direction double neck one also but it has only come out once by accident...hmmm

end edit

R

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
rob - are you doing the first bit of the wrap then tangling before carrying-thru to untangle and then unwrap (or am i completely off the ball here!)?

i worked out the 'cat's cradle' properly last night (suggested to me by jez and originally from the warped mind of a mr tony touch).
its the thru-wrap equivalent to a butterfly handcuff wrap and is gonna be mighty ticky to explain...

spin a fwd bf.
now turn the backs of you hands towards each other (still spinning the bf but with your little fingers uppermost rather than your thumbs).
hold your hands about 1/3 of your string length apart.

[thats all *before the wrap* ]

now the reason your hands are in this position is so that you can grab some string!
wrap each poi string around the opposite hand (the same way they normally wrap in a handcuff wrap) but instead of letting them do multiple wraps and recoiling you have to move fast after the first rotation:
as the strings comes into your hands, turn your hands back up the right way (rotate them so that thumbs go from bottom , to inside, to top).
the poi heads must pass inside your arms and back out to unwrap (carrying thru - never recoiling or stopping).

if you do it right you should get a nice little cats cradle just before you turn your hands inside to unwrap.

and if they tangle with each other on exit you may have to move quickly to avoid that worst of collisions.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeerm.

go thru, wrp, unwrap, back out.

must dash
R

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Ok i dont know if this wrap has been discussed and i dont know where to put it so ill post it here. It can be both a recoil and a thru wrap.

This wrap is extremely dangerous, so only advanced peeps try this please. It is a btb alternate arm, bicep turning wrap, which can also be done over the tricep.

Example, point your right arm right, swing l-hand poi in rev weave btb up inside your back and over your right arm, turn/ twist body back so you can flip the poi back over, and either go into turning f-weave or keep rotating into forward btb tricep wrap. (this is a 5bt rev btb weave gone bad)

A real dangerous move because your wraping the hot part of your chains, and sometimes the head will get caught on the chain, with the fire resting on you arm, but thats usually if your going for more than 1 rotation or a recoil. Hope thats understandable, otherwise i have stick figure pic's for good description. Pm me if u want 1.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Page: