Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > My weave is non existent....

Login/Join to Participate

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Any tips?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
practice

Watch the lessons video, which I'm sure you have, than start out with a swinging the poi split time and than just go for it. It will eventually work, good luck

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, any luck so far?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
perhaps try getting the motion and coordination with 2 sticks about 50cm long. its easier to control and understand the process of the weave when you...can.......slow.........it..............down.................a bit.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ShmerylBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
How about trying it at the same time, making sure you alternate which arm goes over the other one, then gradually go into split time. From experience people generally tend to understand it easier that way. Hope that was useful.

Be crazy, insane, and dance like there is no tomorrow.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Sort of... trying to cross the other way results in smacking my head... thats y I aint invetsin in Fire poi yet.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I don't think smacking yourself repeatedly in the head with your poi is a bad thing. It means you're pushing yourself. Hit yourself enough and you'll learn to do the move right through sheer self-preservation.

Anyone who doesn't hit themselves in the head with their poi obviously isn't trying hard enough

Um weave tips... I've seen people learn the weave loads and loads of different ways. You'll find your way if you're willing to hit yourself enough When you do it the first time it'll just click, and you'll be able to do it from then on.

Here's some ideas

1. Do the movements with nothing in your hands
2. Do the movements with a short (6"ish) stick holding both ends in your hands.
3. Do the movements with one poi at a time, holding your other hand straight out forwards
(so you swing over your empty hand, then under your empty hand then back to the other side, then over your hand, then under....)
4. Spin at different speeds. You might find it easier to learn it spinning really slow, or really fast, but most likely somewhere inbetween.
5. Practice the basic elements - spinning split time with straight planes, then crossing them over split timed.
6. Practice spinning the poi using just your fingers, then just your wrists, and then keeping your arms as straight as you can. This'll teach your body different ways of controlling the path of the poi.

umm, theres more I'm sure. But my mind is blank

Basically just play. All the time your muscles are learning, even though you might think you're not making any progress.

Ooh! One last thing: Something that helped me when I was first learning was every time I messed up I'd say "AGAIN!" really sternly like a master teaching a student in a kung-fu movie. That helped me a lot.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Thanks... that should help... I do practise enuf and thank god my poi are squishy.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
https://www.jugglingwithatwist.fsnet.co.uk/page47.html

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000994

if that doesn't help, come see me and I'll personaly teach you...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Dont worry I'll keep trying.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
No worries... I finally did it...
Thanks 4 ur pointers, been a lot of help.
And while I was at it I learnt a few more...

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Congratulations are in order

It's a great feelin nailing a new move

So much fire, so little body hair...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Cheeyas!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if i took over the world, I'd declare a public holiday for every time a Hop'er would learn the weave!! such a watershed moment in a poi twirler's life!!
and here i am with no clues why you would even want[/] a wet shed! I mean what about rust....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always