Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The non-existent reverse windmill/ corkscrew

Login/Join to Participate

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I know there are people here who are going to say that "there is no such thing" as a reverse corkscrew. Up untill recently i thought there was only a (left to right) and a (right to left)windmill/ corkscrew. No matter what beat.
But then i discovered the reverse. I have neva seen this move performed by anyone else, or even heard of it. But im telling you it is possible.

There must be someone here who has "found" it, or quite possibly it is a common move. This move can only be performed from a 5 bt or above weave (reverse=eaisest).

In a normal forward windmill the poi always go from the top of your head down, but the reverse comes from btb/ bth and goes up. Now i dont know if this has been covered, but i dont have all day to keep searching.
So, do you know what im talking about, im sure if u do there is 1 person here who has neva seen/ heard of this. This move is virtually impossible to describe.

Anyway, let me know your variations or if you think it is actually a reverse bth weave and not reverse windmill.

[ 09. April 2003, 21:19: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ahhhh... what i believe you're talking of is crossing over (to the front) a behind the head wall plane 5 beat before the 5th beat is complete. man that one's an ear whacker, huh? cool move! you some kinda fire dancer or sumthin?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
actually nevermind that made no sense. i should go get my chains...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Lmao. Dude, im no dancer. And yea thats 1 hell of an ear wacker. I think bth reverse weave and this reverse corkscrew could be the same move, not really sure. ideaz?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm really, really confused! surely almost every move has a reverse, including these two...?

is there any chance what you are saying is do a normal windmill, then turn 180 degress and do with the poi spinning the other way?

eg. if normal windmill is poi spinning fwds on your right then rev windmill is done starting with a rev weave on the right?

if you are saying it can only be done from a 5bt weave i guess you may well be wrapping your wrists and doing a 4bt windmill/corkscrew?

ps. i couldn't be arsed to learn a rev windmill until about three weeks ago when someone made me do it. i'm lazy

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... I'm trying to be positive here but I think you'd have to be doing something other than a windmill. A windmill can either be going clockwise as you are looking at them or counter clockwise. There really is no other dimention that it could be oriented. I'm certain you've discovered a variation on the windmill but I don't think it could possibly be a reverse windmill. I support further exploration of what this move is and am looking forward to finding out what it is...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one nyc

sorry if i came off sounding a bit negative!
i was just trying to guess at what was described cos i didn't get the original description (like the dragon said though, its really hard to describe so its not surprising i didn't get it).

anyone able to make some clarifications here...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
do you mean a behind the back corkscrew? ie instead of the poi going around your head and in a circle infront of you, around your head and in a circle behind you?

if so i've often thought about it, but as I'm not even bendy enough to do reverse btb weave properly for any length of time it's not something i've persued.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Flid is the only one coming close. NYC and Coleman what u both are saying are just normall forward windmills. Ok Nyc your saying "clock wise- counter clock" but those are both forward. Left to right and right to left. U can also have a reverse clockwise and a reverse counter clockwise.

The key point is that normally the poi go from top of head in a downward motion, but like i was saying these are coming bth and upwards. (The poi dont actually weave bth, they just un-weave bth)Thats why u need 5 bt or more. Arashi is right its a (cross over)

Im not trying to trick you, or be arrogant, all im trying to do is expand your way of thinking.

For all you experenced spinners try this:
rev weave 5bt right side : u know when u transition and un-weave on your left side that is where u make a different NEW transition.
This move is performed totally on the RIGHT side,

Do a 5bt or 10 bt on the rightside(can be done in front) untill your hands are wrapped up ie left hand over right elbow and right hand over left hand. Now the poi are on you rightside still. Then when u un wrap, swing the poi bth (pull your wraped right hand bth and un-weave/ un-wrap bth and stay there till they wrap up again. Then un weave/ wrap in front of you.

Its not that hard, most of you should allready be doing this, in other planes. Maybee im making this seem harder than it is.

U can go straight into forward corkscrew AS WELL from this position, iv showen peeps this and they still follow there natural instinct to go back into the for windmill. Thinking they are doing it. Ok to cut this short, all it is, is 1 xtra beat that wraps before u un-wrap bth. It changes the whole concept.

[ 09. April 2003, 14:35: Message edited by: Raging Dragon ]

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Gagh... this is so simple, instead of leading with your normall hand, do a 1 bt xtra wrap and lead with the other hand bth same side.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Do a 5bt or 10 bt

10 beat weave? I wanna see a video or that!

on the rightside(can be done in front) untill your hands are wrapped up ie left hand over right elbow and right hand over left hand. Now the poi are on you rightside still. Then when u un wrap, swing the poi bth (pull your wraped right hand bth and un-weave/ un-wrap bth and stay there till they wrap up again. Then un weave/ wrap in front of you.

isn't this the 4 beat windmill?

Gagh... this is so simple, instead of leading with your normall hand, do a 1 bt xtra wrap and lead with the other hand bth same side.

Things are always simple, until you try to write them down. Make a video

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Thats a 10 bt with wraps. So its nothing. It does'nt matter how many times u wrap, its still the same move as a 5/6/7/8/9 bt with wraps, well to me. (All that comes down 2 is length of string)

I have hours of this stuff on video, but i dont have a dig cam, although my friend has 1 and he will be here tonight.

And id have to say, it could be a 4 beat that starts as a 5 bt but u lose 1 beat before u un wrap. But that also depends on how many wraps you are doing.

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Can someone tell me what bth means as it may help me understand all this a bit more.

Ta

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Behind The Head..doesn't mean I understand any of dis either tho..Reverse windmill is cw windmill, nuff said..BTH windmill may be whassis talkin bout..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
OK offical apology. I think i lost the plot some where in the wrap. After extensive debate, the conclusion is : its windmill. Sorry NYC and Colman for the waste of time. The problem was that the poi change direction, and swing differently to the direction they normally would, but they swing like you would be on the other side. So your right, there is only 2 windmills, and 2 that trick you into thinking there are more.

Anyway, cool little variation for you to work with

Now back to those btb 5bt horozontal rev weaves.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
BTH = Behind the head.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.