markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
hand changes are a little somthing Ive been playing with for a while.Its simply changing which poi is in which hand.Its a little thing.The audience dosnt really notice it,but is a cool little headfu_k.
The change can happen hand to hand or more interestingly using a different part of your body for a while like your elbow.
Think as if your elbow is a hand place one poi in (left elbow right hand poi or visa versa)
then with the empty hand take the poi from the other hand.Now you have to get the elbow poi to a the empty hand but thats not too hard!
Enjoy!
Markeespark

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
One time in Sheffield, Mr Orange showed me a hand change.

It was simply doing a butterfly, switching grips (left poi to right hand and right poi to left hand) and coming out to a reverse butterfly.

I know its simply but it can look very deceptive if you manage to conceal the change with some eye contact.

would be tastey if you could do it mid butterfly weave

xXPink^SootXxmember
16 posts

Posted:
I like the idea of doing it mid butt.fly weave. going to play with that. ive been trying to do hand swaps whilst doing a 3 bt weave, on the 3rd bt, swap hands, cos it looks reyt wierd, cos u manage to get 4 bts into a 3 bt weave. you can do as many swaps as you like and it ends up lookin like a twirly umberella. yeyeye.

m/:Dm/

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and i saw jez do a pair of hand swaps once.

its the same one as orange's that tempest is talking about, except you do one high and one low.

so you are doing rev bf at the bottom of your arms' reach.
do straight arm bf to up high (above your head but in front).
when your hands meet at the top, you swap hands with your poi (in a beat) so you're in fwds bf.
now do straight arms to the bottom and repeat as necessary.

looks lovely so it does.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
what sort of grips are you guys using when you do these?
i use double loop grips, which can be easy to get out of, but i have to say, i don't really like the idea of doing any sort of release things with fire when there are other people around. i sorta feel like this is asking for trouble.
but maybe i'm just being paranoid.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
no you are not parinoid i have the double loop hand grips and i was doing a hand swap in front of a relitivly big crowd and,
i was tired and not at my full concetration level and i could not get a grip on one poi, i was doing a bf so the poi went flying luckly it feel short of the crowd as the poi basically went stright int the ground, i havent tried hand swaps with fire since.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
Leliel.. I hold my poi between my thumb and index finger( not locked in in any way).
Thats the most comfortable way to me, its easy to throw or swap.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
markeespark ?

doesnt that limit the amount of movement in your
wrists whilst trying to do like a btb weave or even a normal weave?

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
carstens
naaa not really,but it does take a bit of getting used to,just like anything.
It feels more true,you need to point more to where the poi is going.Driving it.. ?
Cool?
Still Smoking
Markeespark

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
One lovely move you can get with hand-changes is the "Infinite Beat Weave".

Do a normal 5 bt weave then just switch the poi over in your hands to get an extra beat. Then, just switch the poi over to get an extra beat. Then, just switch the poi over to get an extra beat. Then, just switch the poi over to get an extra beat. Then, just switch the poi over to get an extra beat.Then....

You get the idea

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually Durbs, I find that much easier from a 3 beat so one's hands aren't crossed too much. It's a funny move because it REALLY depends on the weight of the poi. I always need to re-adjust where I let go depending on the lenght and weight of the poi I'm infinitley weaving with.

Props to Bassman the old-timer who first posted a vid of that move on HoP.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
The move coleman is talking about I have been calling the 3 point butterfly because it creates three seperate butterflies. 1 normal butterfly, 1 reverse butterfly and 1 giant butterfly. Also note that the same move as described above can be done btb!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'