MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im fairly new to poi. I can do most of the beginner/intermediate stuff and a few advanced moves but my troubles come when trying to transition them together. I ordered the CoL2 video the other day which should help me with some things but Im a bit too impatient to wait till it gets here to learn. So, if anyone could help me out with a walkthrough or video of the following transitions I would be most greatful:

Weave to butterfly w/o wraps
Weave to vertical moves w/o wraps

Currently I can transition from weave to bf with different wraps but Im not a huge fan of wraps. I can also do a weave, then stop, going into normal swinging, then go into bf but I would rather leave the seperated beat out of it. I can transition to vertical from butterfly but thats kind of limiting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Just because I love posting this video I feel it necessary to link it twice in one day.Though it is from COL1 me thinks.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately my Real Player is messed up and I cant view that vid

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nevermind, downloaded new version of real player and it works fine. Thanks for the vid.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
One way of getting from the weave to the butterfly without wraps is to just turn your hips 90 degrees.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... I don't think so Ade. To go from BF to Weave you necessarily have to change the directions of one of the poi. Either with a wrap or by slightly altering the orientation of one or both poi.

One easy way I learned here was to go from BF into corkscrew by dropping both hands. Since you're really only changing the orientation of both planes by 90 derees it can be done relatively easily and in a single beat.

From corkscrew you're, of course, in weave.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
NYC - I don't use a wrap to go from BF to weave - don't do any wraps at all actually . I can't explain exaclty what I do, but it does works for me Maybe I'm forcing one of them to change orientation slightly, but it's not conscious..........

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
the only way i can go from a bf to weave is if i do the bf weave and then spin around 360 degrees and flick the one poi into going the other direction (if i turn to the right i flick the right poi) and come into a normal forward 3b weave. i look like a maniac but it looks "dangerous" to the audience because the poi almost look out of control

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.