Page:
PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
All those "in between-", static (seperated on both sides) and buzzsaw isolations work quite well.
So now I try to include isolations constantly into weaves. But at the moment they work only if I turn around constantly - I have problems to keep it in a weave - 2 beat seems to be the maximum there as well.
Anybody tried similar stuff and has some experience and suggestions ???

Thx a lot
andreas

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
5 IS NICE and I thought they would be impossible. Thats the way poi goes !

The best way to approach them is to do the normal 5 beat weave without the hands touching at the last beats - then you try this to the extreme (ellbows), hands further and further apart, and voila it is atomatically isolated. Then you isolate the rest of the beats as well and there you go . . .

anybody thinks 7 are possible ?
I wouldnt bet !

cheers

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I cracked the fwd to bwd iso 5bt this week I think its seriously insane.. and very hard to describe but I learnt it by doing fwd 5bt using (I think they used to be in the tutorials on this site) tuck turns (I think thats what their called) which is just doing the last beat of the 5bt under your armpit rather than by twisting your wrists, which gives you room to fully isolate it. Which I would have put money on being impossible. ubbtickled
Alex

progger

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah it is a pretty similar motion. I've still not quite cracked it yet, but it's seriously sick looking smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*wanders in, starts at the activity*

actually got an iso fountain working nice today.....

You must understand i take a fountain to be any thing with 3 circles, and in this case i mean a fountain the a bth weave rather than a windmill at the top, but hey *shrug*.

T wave

p.s. and in a litte reply to Dantana isolating stick post, have you noticed that the motion of 3 beat iso is exacly the same as the beat in staff with your hads seperated?

p.p.s. iso splittime ttn headache anyone?
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1075918700)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I wanna see some doubles isolation weave/butterfly stuff with staves...

::coughbluecatcough::

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
try.... ::coughtreesandbeetlescough:: ubblol

-><- Kallisti

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Whoa, I'm staying outta here.....there seems to be a bit too much coughing going on. umm eek

I presume the snake 3 beat weave with doubles is an isolated weave (although I've not seen one) so errr....
::coughJoshcough::

Doh, to late...
I'd be happy just to know how it works beerchug

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hey nix.. my boy itchell is suppsoed to be putting out a vid for the next COL compettion and he isolates EVERYTHING.. dude.. I was watching him try to do an isolated butterfly weave.... I dont' have a real clear memory of whether he actually did it or not ebcause he blew my mind with all the isolations.. but I know he does the TTN..

I'm still trying to learn them.. because I want to learn wrap combos that bounce off my arms, and occasionally trace, while isolating some of the motions in between the bounces.,.. heheheheh,.. I dont know what others think about it.. but it looks pretty sick to me..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
that is really sweet stuff. look forward to the col, Im gonna buss' this one, trust me. wink

T wave

-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I don't think I'm up for it.. I'm not as good as it sounds like I am.. or maybe I to ocd and dont think I'm perfect enough... lol...

nah... I'm thinking about it.. but I'm still searching for more dependable poi... I don't like chemical sticks, and all other poi except fire break in some weird way, (like wiring and stuff, or is not brightr enough..

I just have SOO much stuff I'm working on that I want to get down before I makes a comprehensive vid.. because I'm only going to get a camera for a little while (until I get money again in august) and there are so many little things that I'm learning everyday that I want to ahve on vid for friends... I about 7-10 people that are going to start spinning again.. and they are coming to me... lol.. talk about make you feel good about what you do..

well I've completely wandered this thread 8 topics over...

we now return you to your previously scheduledisolation thread..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Quote:

p.p.s. iso splittime ttn headache anyone?

Hmm. I can isolate forward 5bt split-time ttn. Working on the reverse now. On a couple of occasions I've actually nailed the 5bt ttn weave isolated. It's still rough, but when I start to get it, I think it looks awesome.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
What the f+=k?
How do you do a split time 5bt ttn without crossing over to the other side (ie the 5bt ttn weave) ? dont your arms just get all tangled up and the only way to sort it would be to turn and untangle.. thats what i thought anyway
I only just learnt the split time ttn thing last week but learnt how to isolate it straight away I don;t think its much of a headblag. Looks super sweet though if you through in a couple of isolated throws... but if I understand heath properly a fully isolated 5bt ttn that stays in front of you, now that'd be a complete headf~#k... can anyone do an iso btb weave? tongue

isolations are definately the best thing about poi I can't wait 'til Im good enough to isolate absolutely everything I do
ubblol
Alex

progger

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
One does not have to turn to do the 5bt split-time ttn. If you haven't seen them already, you should check out PoiPoiPoi's tutorial videos on the topic, specifically, this one. It's not isolated, but that shouldn't affect the necessity to make a turn to complete the move.

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
does anybody try to do btb isolations ? I'm actually doing a btb iso weave smile
quite hard but if I should be able to do it some day quite good I'd love to put a vid online smile

greets duvan

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Cheers Heath thats a pretty mental move if you can isolate it
just learnt btb iso buzzsaw yet the (btb) weave still eludes me... wanna learn isolated buzzsaw turns btb

ubbrollsmile
ubbrollsmile

progger

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have worked out the mechanics of the isolated weave forwards, reverse, turns and fountains but it's taking an exceptionally long time to clean up. I'm just at the point where I can feel the flow of movement.

I have been at this for many days but I still clip myself and the chains aren't always in perfect alignment. There is an incredible beauty waiting to be unlocked but it seems the harder I try the further away I get. Anyone have some tips to help me along the path?

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

There is an incredible beauty waiting to be unlocked. But it seems the harder I try the further away I get

So true ubbrollsmile and valid for all moves, but especially isolations....

My suggestion: Work on your isolated figure8. And for a ¨perfect¨ isolated weave one should be capable of Hand AND Poihead lead isolations.

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Honestly, Ive never seen ANYONE do perfect isolated weaves. There are few that can do them really well, but never get em perfect. I think true perfect isolated weaves are impossible just due to the physics of the move. Arms/hands/chains get in the way and always skew things a bit. Only isolation that can really done perfectly is buzzsaw due to the fact that nothing interrupts the point of rotation.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
. . . if you see it this way I have never seen a perfect normal weave, but almost perfect. Same for Isolated weaves, just a matter of practice . . .

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I dunno, I think some of Andy's isolations were pretty close biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
After lots of practice and reviewing the video clips (thanks PoiBoxII), it seems the defining characteristic of the isolated weave is the constant orientation of the poi to each other. Maybe a crude diagram will help explain:

Non-Https Image Link

The poi will be rotating on multiple axes but will remain close to one another, sharing the same pivot but pointed in opposite directions. I guess the isolated buzzsaw is much the same with only one axis of rotation.

By concentrating on keeping this alignment I can fairly consistently keep a reverse isolated weave going. From time to time I can get the forwards weave through a few repetitions before the alignment falls apart. I definitely need more practice with that one.

Turning while isolated is easy enough and feels much smoother than the weave. Transitioning to an isolated windmill or split time low turn is also pretty straight forward.

I don't know where I would be without this forum, you guys rock!

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah, turning whilst isolated is a lot easier and nicer than keeping the weave going. But it's definitely possible to do the weave - I've sort of got it but haven't ever really spent the time to make it smooth. I've seen it done though and it looks crazy!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yeah it looks awesome but so hard to nail smoothly AND keep the point of isolation in the same place AND not look like a flailing armed loon in the process ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Heheh, I know exactly what you mean about the flailing armed loon, rofl ubblol

Matt TherapyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I know exactly what you mean about the flailing armed loon, rofl

Damn! You've obviously seen me through my window. :o/

3-beat isolated weaves are reasonably easy, but 5-beat seems to defy possiblity. I've read the bit about "tuck-turning" but nearly fell over and put my back out trying this.

I think there's got to be a reasonable balance between how the poi look during a move, and what kind of contortions the spinner pulls trying to do them.

I saw someone doing a between-the-legs butterfly with a forward roll into a straight b-fly. Very technical but it looked cr*p if you ask me.

Minds are like parachutes - they only work when they're open

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I like to call stuff like that "moves only a mother could love". smile I wouldn't put 3bt isolated weaves in that category but a regular 7bt sure fits the bill. I guess you pick your repertoire based on your audience.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
that between the leg butterfly forward roll thing is a really old school move, and if it wasnt beutifull, then you have to see a girl with a nice bottom clad in tight jeans doing it ...... ubblove

5bt is hard, but possible, tip: forwards is easier wink

T wave

-><- Kallisti

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

yeah it looks awesome but so hard to nail smoothly AND keep the point of isolation in the same place AND not look like a flailing armed loon in the process ubblol

You're forgetting the other part of the move. wink Pulling a stupid face with the concentration! See the shefield video for me pulling a face while trying an isolated weave! biggrin

And the face I pull when trying an isolated fountain is horriffic! ubblol (Also it falls apart above my left shoulder frown )

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
When I do a 5 beat isolated I do them vertical to the ground and you sort of do a regular 5 beat like move but pull your hands apart when doing the extra beats to creat the 5 beat isolation... I have a hard time explaining so I'm going to try and do a vid with my crappy webcam.

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I can do a forward BTB isolated weave,butexplaining poi moves verbally is next to impossible for me,willtry to put a video up soon. There'salso a fairly confusing 3 beat TTN that looks cool when properly isolated... Speeding off to a computer literate friend now to see if we can sort a video out on this...

Don't worry, be happy...

Page: