Page:
PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
All those "in between-", static (seperated on both sides) and buzzsaw isolations work quite well.
So now I try to include isolations constantly into weaves. But at the moment they work only if I turn around constantly - I have problems to keep it in a weave - 2 beat seems to be the maximum there as well.
Anybody tried similar stuff and has some experience and suggestions ???

Thx a lot
andreas

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean about the turning 2 beat isolation. It seams to be the only way it works while spinning forwards. But, you can do isolation 3 beat in reverse. I'm not realy sure if I stay in isolation the whole time, but at least 75 percent of the reverse weave is done isolated. I feel like forwards 3 beat isolation SHOULD be possible, I just haven't discovered the flow yet. (I don't have poi with me right now, so I'll need to get back with you on that)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nope you can do isolations on both sides during a 3bt weave forwards and backwards... as long as you can split a weave and do circles on each side the isolation is possible. Just takes practise

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think thats what mr box was describing as a 'static' isolation mr x (incidentally, do you have a brother called malcolm by any chance...?).

they're talking about doing complete isolated weaves now.

i wrote a too-big post on my scepticism of isolated 3bt weaves (including a tirade about your arms being too solid to pass through each other) and why i thought turning round to do the 2bt version was always gonna be necessary.

then i deleted it by selecting the lot and pressing the space bar.
[arse]

good job i can't actually do any of this stuff and was just making it all up.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, I went out and played with it. It looks like a reverse 3 beat isolation, but only about 50% of the time. (on each side). And the hands do some wierd stuff too. it is utterly confusing to try and describe. I developed it from a "weird timing reverse weave" that almost becomes a corkscrew that reverses direction on each side. (more confusing descriptions)

The turning 2beat isolation is definitly do-able.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Jedi what does one set of it on COL#3

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
the "wierd timing reverse weave" I mean

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
what's isoleting a wave?

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
If you can do a reverse 3 Beat isolation - a forward IS possible (according to my way of thinking). And everything coming next !!!! Just the 5 beat behind the back isolated seems to be the real challange then
You dont have a video doing it by any chance??? Would perfectly fit into my santana collection !
thx

andreas

By th way: For those who want to try it at home as well. The best approach seemed to me: Start with an isolated splittime Butterfly weave ... sounds cool eh [ISTBFW]? This way you get an idea of how to bring isolations on the other side with both poi involved(sounds more difficult than it is). Just the next step seems to be a little bit harder.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
It is possible to to isolated 5-beat weaves in both forwards and reverse, though I do get a little messy on the last two beats on either side.

Keep your arms at 180 degrees from eachother and hands by the opposite elbow (right hand, left elbow) when the poi crosses infront of you.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
????? isolated FIVE beasts you must be kidding !!!!

How far is it isolated (does the point of rotation move towards the poi)? And can you please describe it a little bit more detailled cause my hands are already at the elbows when I do my (still very messy) IW !?!
Can you isolate behind the back ?

Thx a lot

andreas

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Isolation is like when you hold your poi and than catch with each hand the reverse end of poi,than when you do a circle inside(or side) your hand thats what happen when you isolate,but without catching the ends
The center of circle isnt you hand but half of string and your hand with ends are turning aroud in one line.

POI THEO(R)IST

Dementiamember
8 posts

Posted:
could someone please tell me what isolated weaves, BTB weaves and buzzsaws are. i can do 5beat forward and backwards and over my head(which i think is actually a 4 beat), but some of these terms you guys are speaking of are foreign to me.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Find small "search" link.Its the best path to find old shortcuts and terms

POI THEO(R)IST

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I can get the isolations to nearly halfway. I'll be back in a bit with some (hopefully) better descriptions.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
You realy have to twist your shoulder across your body. As your lead poi crosses your body you also need to bring the opposite hand across (acomplished through the turning of the shoulders).

It might be cheating a bit into a hyperloop.

I have not heard of anyone doing btb isolations as of yet.

[ 01. April 2003, 15:50: Message edited by: Jaeden ]

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dementia:

could someone please tell me what isolated weaves, BTB weaves and buzzsaws are. i can do 5beat forward and backwards and over my head(which i think is actually a 4 beat), but some of these terms you guys are speaking of are foreign to me.
isolations - when you transfer the center of the spin to the point halfway between your hand and the poi so that poi and hands spin around center of chains.Considered part of the "taking the weight off" family of moves.

BTB weaves - BTB stands for behind the back and a btb weave is a weave spun with your arms behind your back.Check the free lessons section for demo's of btb butterfly and btb forward/reverse weave.

buzzsaw - is a fairly simple move done by spinning the poi in front of your body so that they form a ring in front of you.Spin in the same direction in split-time.Can be done anywhere around your body but easiest to learn in front.Also referred to as the "pinwheel" or the "bicycle tire".Check the free lessons section,there is a better description there.

Dementiamember
8 posts

Posted:
Poiaholic, thank you for informing me. Turns out i know BTB weave (at least forwards) already, and the buzzsaw as well. what sort of variations are there for the buzzsaw? i am very intrigued by this Isolation thingie, does anyone have some nice vids of isolations in action that i could see?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dementia - bluecat (mr t from te pooka) does a pretty spiffing isolated buzzsaw fountain on the video called 'rubbish' over here.
however i can't remember the time its @ and i know that you can't download it at the moment so this is all quite useless!
look at tall the video's here and if you don't spot any isolations, ask on that thread where they are and someone (pk ) will clue you in.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and while i'm here (first *ever* double post - and its not gonna be a habit)...

isolated weaves then.

i still have yet to work these things out or see any solid examples (in fact sketchy examples are non existant too). i've seen some bits of a weave isolated but *never* complete isolation throughout the move...
my own progress has been fractured and at best has just produced some weird-looking distractions from regular weaves.

someone showed me a nice weird timed rev weave (hands by elbows type stuff) that i managed to get one constantly isolated poi from.
the same thing produced isolations on the transition but normal spin confusion on the 'outside'.
i can just about isolate one poi in a fwd 4bt weave.
i can isolate the poi going over and under my arm in a straight arm butterfly weave (i think - was @ a party so i might have imagined this bit ).

anyone have evidence of successful attempts or got a written solution ( ) as to how these might work one day...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Yes, new computer and I cannot log in anymore.

anyway, here some vids of me messing around with isolations and a weave . . .

Isolatedweave

suggestions and tips more than welcome

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
seems it works with everybody else but not with me so just go to:

https://141.84.103.31/~sroede/poi/

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
That address not worky

Respect for Hugo for being the first person ive ever seen to do these. on friday night, wowww

wow.
Inspired by that
I had them then. But not tried since, and I don't htink I could at the moment.
Much respect dude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i can't see that link for some reason...

what i have seen since my last post is a fully isolated weave.

i think it was 3bt but i was trippin so i can't be sure.
i know for certain though that it looked unbelievably gorgeous - isolations were locked in one above the other so there was this whole 'rotating block' look to it.

one day i'll get hugo to teach me it too

[edit: damn glass being all faster than me and stuff. i still saw it first ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Its on a university server in munich.
At the moment I am at a friends place and everything works perfect !?!

Where are the computer gurus?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wicked! there's no way i can give you any tips on that man - its looking great.

suggestions? keep going

i like 05190005 best (is that the name of the move? ).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Splendid spinning PoiBoxII,

I'll be studying those tonight methinks.

PROBLEM - The 2nd(05190007.avi) and 4th(05190011.avi) seem to be corrupted, at least thats what windows media player tells me.

NOT PROBLEM - Not sure why coleman and Glass have had problems, left click the link and you should get an html page with 5 pictures on. The pictures are links to the avi files.

Thanks PoiBoxII muchly appreciated.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea yea. nice one dude
Could be a bit cleaner.
but that will come
better than I can do today.
wicked.
Nice one

now where hugo and a video camera when you need one???

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
try opening the files that dont work for you in quicktime 6 dub

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Well that was remarkably simple

Cheers TEMPEST

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, thats done and over with.
Your next mission should you choose to accept it is fully isolated weave on wall plane

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Page: