Page:
DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, here it is, the long awaited "dancing thread". This is an open forum for the discution of dancing with your poi. This includes all forms of bodily movement, feet, hips, head, whatever you can think of. Well.....let's here some ideas.

What can you do?

What do you want to do?

What do you like to see?

etc?

Lets get some ideas floating around!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
i think dancing with poi is not essential, but it a plus. just doing figures gets boring.

i think that with fire poi the slow and sensuel works good, if you catch my drift. i mean, on contrast with glowstick dancing, like those tekno turtles, in which the moves themselves can look like a dance, the wraps espescially, and the mind games. i would find that sort of stuff amazing to music, like timing wraps with beats and stalling when there is a build up to go mad when the sound comes crashing back

im working on those the most at the moment, but i don't always have a beat to work to, because its too cold to poi outside, and my roommates are usually watching tv or working which makes it hard to put on pumping house music and dance around without being noticed.

but, with time all will improve. smile

im not much of a belly dancer, or a capoeira master. i like to swing and turn and do little fast steps and them long stretched ones. crouching down and tiptoeing is also cool, but its not like i have any dance steps, i let the poi drag me, and i let the music drag the poi
weavesmiley

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

DreamingPhoenixTribemember
6 posts

Posted:
Quote:

These are the belly moves. Let me know if you would like Salsa, Flamenco, Hip-Hop, Ballroom, Go-Go or line dancing.... as I incorporate all these more "traditional" dance styles into my routines.

Would love to hear more about this, Pele... can you give us more details (unless of course, you can share some of it on video)?

We have tried some throws adapted from swing, and have utilized belly dancing, tango, some capoeira steps and kicks, moves that feel similar to ice skating (at least seem the same - I dont skate), african dance, etc. The ability/inclusion of level changes seems to help a lot in dancing with poi.

We also, while prepping for a group performance piece, worked a lot on interaction between people spinning and dancing, in a freeform style. We worked out a lot of ways to pass the poi back and forth (and all around), explored some great wraps on partners, two person butterfly's and weaves (one poi each or two poi in one hand), hugs of death, back to back turning weaves and all kinds of other stuff. It also helped immensly to have people without poi come and mischeviously play/dance with those spinning, which pushed the people with fire to move in new reactive and proactive ways, and for those without fire developed a lot more awareness of how to interact with the other person's fire in partner/group spinning interaction (suddenly those without poi were initiating surprise wraps eek, etc.) Havent tried multi person throws yet...

Though these type of interactions dont neccesarily equal dancing with poi, they go a long way toward helping to facilitate it - good practice focusing on movement and interaction instead of technical moves, having attention split betweent them both, and bringing (forcing?) movement into the realm of feeling and flow instead of intellectualizing moves (you will know right away if you are thinking about what move to react/interact with, instead of interacting/reacting). And, I hadnt heard anyone mention multiple people dancing interactively here yet, so I wanted to throw this out there.

But I wanna hear about how you are incorporating hip hop and go-go smile...

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
just a question to see how many of you lot do or did dancing and how if at all do you incoropate poi with it? ballet etc

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm not really a dancer, but i am learning to incorporate some of my tai chi moves into poi somewhat.....

it's great for your coordination, but i've no idea if it looks good. only ever practised it alone.....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

i'm not really a dancer, but i am learning to incorporate some of my tai chi moves into poi somewhat.....

it's great for your coordination, but i've no idea if it looks good. only ever practised it alone.....

funnily enoughlast night i was told that they way i poi looked like tai chi even though i have never done it. but i do love the grace of it. as i have just started i am trying to get it so i am not just walking/standing around doing the tech moves but its hard when you don't have music. although at the weekend i did blast it up and did punk poi smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i do english folk dancing and french - it works quite well.

if you go to a techno rave, just look at the people skipping on the spot and imagine them moving around, it's kind of like that. Except you don't move too far or you lose the people you were with.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

i do english folk dancing and french - it works quite well.

if you go to a techno rave, just look at the people skipping on the spot and imagine them moving around, it's kind of like that. Except you don't move too far or you lose the people you were with.

i have done a bit of traditional english folk dancing but not much and it was fun, the only time i usualy do it is at beltain, which i also have not done in a couple of years,

i did see some morris dancer in whitby and that looked like great fun, i wonder if that would work with poi, obvioulsy being very careful

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I have always found personally, that dancing and poi are inseparable. Who here hasn´t found themselves on a dancefloor and kinda visualising poi movements as you dance?

I agree with what has been said before - its a matter of listening to the music, or feeling your own natural rhythm if you´re not listening to music and let thm moves just flow into each other.

It is really noticable those who dance,and those who do series of tricks. Both are watchable and entertaining, but dancing is so much more aesthetically pleasing - and in my opinion more enjoyable.

close your eyes and move.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: elasta

I have always found personally, that dancing and poi are inseparable. Who here hasn´t found themselves on a dancefloor and kinda visualising poi movements as you dance?

I agree with what has been said before - its a matter of listening to the music, or feeling your own natural rhythm if you´re not listening to music and let thm moves just flow into each other.

It is really noticable those who dance,and those who do series of tricks. Both are watchable and entertaining, but dancing is so much more aesthetically pleasing - and in my opinion more enjoyable.

close your eyes and move.

thats how i do it, of cause the hoot from the cars tell me when i am about to get run over

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I like doing anti-moves, like with low turn when I still it down horizontal i move my back to back while stillling and when Poi stops i run against them smile

POI THEO(R)IST

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

I like doing anti-moves, like with low turn when I still it down horizontal i move my back to back while stillling and when Poi stops i run against them smile

oooh that sounds luurrrrvvvvvvlllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy weavesmiley hug weavesmiley

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
to poirob2... i am the oldschool straighting master. That's old school skating, WHILE stringing... me and a friend of mine got boozed up and were doing it at some park for hours... then the popo 5-0 came and did the whole "you kids need to go home... NOOOOWW!"

then about a week later(under the same blood alcohol circumstances) i was doing it on a friends board in front of a bank.... then i fell... and it hurt...

-Your Friendly Oldschool Straighter
~Zim

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
drunk skating is rock hard i can hardly stand on my board when im drunk, but i can still do poi,staff and devil stick drunk biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Noddy

drunk skating is rock hard i can hardly stand on my board when im drunk, but i can still do poi,staff and devil stick drunk biggrin

i can not even stand up on a board... i blame my boots.
hats off though for trying

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
When i spin - Eyes are closed, hair is wet and i go go metal lol! drunken master all the way me thinks...let your arms be pulled by the direction of the poi an use the legs to quickly catch your balence due to the nose diving skull lol!

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

Tokenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
wassup room?

Tokenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
anyone from Dallas here?

Tokenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I incorporate dancing and any type of liquid type danceing into my fire poi shows, and when I am just spinning glowsticks on strings as well. I am from the Dallas party scene and considered 1 of the original party kids and old school kandie kids that help get the scene started when it was going nowhere. Everyone in the party scene here knows me, and or has heard of me. I was the first person to spin fire in the scene here as well.

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I combine C-walking and Melborne shuffle to create a smooth floating effect. I'm also kind of notorious, where I'm from, for my popping and locking so I'm kind of expected to incorperate that into performance.
But when no ones around I just like jumping around, doing crazy front flips, and hoping I don't hit myself.

Bernie_FlameSILVER Member
Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
Coming from a dance background, I feel it has helped my spinning no-end. Having a strong knowledge of Ballet & modern dance has helped me develope style and grace into my spinning. But more recently I have been Tap dancing with Poi just to see what is possible. A friend of mine also does Tap & Poi and we had great fun with this. Wings & maxi fords are both possible- and a great way of adding extra beats! Since I have seen lot's of other stuff done with poi such as stilts, acro, rollerskates etc, I was wondering if anyone else has tried poi & tap or has seen this done before?

man who go bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BernieFlame

I was wondering if anyone else has tried poi & tap or has seen this done before?

What's the gaucho (? maybe) thing with the clacking poi(-like swingy things with metal weights) on the ground as you tap that Cirque du Soleil had in Saltimbanco called?
That was/is tap and poi at the same time (though the poi moves were *very* limited -parallel circles in and out of time and 2 and 3 beat weave is pretty much all I remember- even in the Soleil show)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

What's the gaucho (? maybe) thing with the clacking poi(-like swingy things with metal weights) on the ground as you tap that Cirque du Soleil had in Saltimbanco called?
That was/is tap and poi at the same time (though the poi moves were *very* limited -parallel circles in and out of time and 2 and 3 beat weave is pretty much all I remember- even in the Soleil show)

Sounds interesting- poi doing the tap sounds! were they tap dancing at the same time? would like to see this!!

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Ask and you shall receive...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

AmaraOSILVER Member
67 posts

Posted:
Wow...that was pretty cool.

As a bellydancer venturing into Poi, I will be blending my poi and bellydance..I already have some 'routines' in mind, just have to learn and get fluent in the poi moves...

Ordinarily when I've been practicing my poi I use upbeat music and just let the music take over.

You also tilt when you should withdraw, and that is Knightly too. Rest In Peace, Heath.

Proudly Owned By FireTom.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Theres a group in USA who use "voi". A combo of veil and poi as they put it. Will send you a linkie. Jeds used flags with dancers before but more as a spinner not dancer.
Remind me to have a look at my silk flags.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AmaraOSILVER Member
67 posts

Posted:
I have Veil Poi already Gnor :-)

Thats why all the silk biggrin I've been making the veils :-)
EDITED_BY: AmaraO (1201386368)

You also tilt when you should withdraw, and that is Knightly too. Rest In Peace, Heath.

Proudly Owned By FireTom.

Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
wonderful video. Although the poi and tap skills were pretty basic, it is very entertaining. Thanks 4 that.x

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
the cirque thing is/are called boleadoras.

I mix poi and popping/boogaloo.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Look_This_Changes

the cirque thing is/are called boleadoras.

I mix poi and popping/boogaloo.

Do you mean body popping like street dance? Getting into that at the moment, finding it tricky but it's great fun! I love dance. I would like to see a version of 'puttin on the ritz' with fire staff- that would be cool

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
yup, that's exactly right. smile

a lot of popping is all about making interesting lines and shapes and movements with your body, which compliment the poi so well.

Waving is a bit harder to incorporate whilst spinning poi, because of the level of body isolation needed to make just the waves look good. a dead still hand can't spin poi! wink works great when manipulating the poi instead of spinning them, though.

It's good to see more people getting into it. good luck with it!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: