NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you speed up the hand that is extended on a 4 beat TTN to double-time (do two quick rotations in the time it takes your closer hand to do one rotation) you can cheat and make a 6 beat Thread the Needle. Actually, the extended arm is free to spin as many times as it pleases while the close arm goes around. By varying the tempo of the outstreched arm you can add as many extra rotations as you'd like. I'm not sure if this would qualify as "beats" since you're really just adding quicker rotations. It's more like taking a full beat and breaking it down into two, quick tempo half beats...

Cool.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
With short chains, you can put extra revolutions into the poi that is spinning closer to your body as well.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you do the rotation above/outside your arm?

That's really cheating.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Damn bloody cheats!!
give all us honst spinner a bad name

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I call cheat too! It's not really a proper 6 beat as it ain't balanced.

But keep playing with speed as I reckon it's something not enough people mess about with. Took me a while but now I can pretty much move my hands independently of each other time wise. And seperating out poi to orbit each other like Ow suggests is possible in most moves and looks cool as! From butterfly I take one poi out to the sides, above, below, orbit all around, a cascade with isolations, etc... almost endless possibilities!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Not entirely sure what all the "beat" stuff is about, but if it looks good, why not?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
wow, I was like doing that just last night. the cheat six beat that is.

Maybe a little different though, cause I was doing regular time, and was going in and out of split time. I like variations.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
These 'cheat beats' look really hot outside either side of a regular three beat weave as well.

I learned these on accident the first time i was trying to learn the reverse five beat weave by trying to add in the extra beat with the wrong hand. The version i do from a forward weave puts the extra beat under each arm.

I also don't think i've seen these in any videos. then again, i probably haven't been paying enough attention, much less watching the right videos. Drop a link if you spot one in the wild, please. =)

And dropping these on butterfly moves is completely beyond me at this point...

-- Dut

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
It's not really a proper 6 beat as it ain't balanced.
kinda like the 3bt weave ain't balanced...?
sorry, i couldn't resist! please don't hurt me mr dom. eeeep.

and dut - what you are talking about you can't really apply to bf like that.
to drop in extra beats you have to speed up one hand (or slow down the other).

someone that taught me just about everything else pointed out to me the other night that if you do a giant butterfly with just one arm (full arm circle) and you keep both of your poi going at a constant speed (linear *not* radial) your other poi has time to do two circles (wrist circles).

its only a little thing but as with the classic club swinging style, most spinners tend to keep their swinging things @ the same radial velocities (meaning they both take the same amount of time to complete a circle, no matter what size it is).
so if you're used to that, this is quite weird

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
This thread seems relevant to 'release' my 'signature move'. Reverse 3 beat half giant thread the needle. Do a regular reverse 3 bt ttn but during the 3rd beat, the arm that is on top swings out giant, and comes back around the other side under your left hand. Repeat with opposite hands to the 'other side'. I find it looks cool when you sway to the left for your right hand going giant and to the right for you left hand.

Ps. I'm sure someone else has thought of this before.