NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think I'm ready. I think I've got a big enough bag of tricks (though there are still quite a few mid level tricks that I can't do.) My goal for the next few weeks is to break down my moves and get them right. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I know that it's best to spin slowly.

I'd actually like to get some longer chains just to give me some diversity. I think that mastering different sized/weighted poi is helpful.

I'd like to focus also on how the same move can be made to look different by moving the move around the body.

I'd like to focus on how different body movements affect the feel of the move.

Is there other advice on how to better focus on fundamentals and style?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
try using clubs..I find that they are more sensitive to 'proper' body position and stuff than poi.

Get a Mirror - this helps heaps when you want line things up and get identify bumps in your moves...

let us know how it goes

Josh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you might also try differnt methods of doing basic moves, like giant butterfly vs reg, and try diferent weave methods, like do a regular weave, then try touching your wrists together the whole time, or moving your arms in large movements while doing a weave, or put one hand by the opposite shoulder and do a weave, try sliding your hands up and down the opposite arm while doing a weave, all kinds of stuff like that. If you do that stuff, try changing the timing, etc. even just a 3 beat weave can look like several completely different moves.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
What the hell you two laughing at?

What am I funny to you? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little f#cked up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to f#ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:

Now way man, I think they were laughing at me. Oh so it's like that huh? You think I'm funny? Well, I'll show YOU funny.
Non-Https Image Link

yea how you like that?

how about a rocket up your pie hole, ya big cow?
Non-Https Image Link

I always knew I was a little fun.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Enuf goodfella's quotes and back to the topic.

I did figure out why I don't move the poi around my body much when I spin: BECAUSE MY APARTMENT IS TOO DAMN SMALL!

Smash! Twang! Thwap! Smack! CRASH! (Ow, my lip!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lets just say it's short for it's age, NYC.

Besides, from what I know of, it's not what size it ids but what you do with it that counts.

And from what I can tell, you can do an awful lot...

so, apart from apartment size, what else do you think has helped to define your style? It's always a good idea to look at why bordersa re there so you can crash through more easily.

and then you can remember where they were, so your own style stays where you want it...

Yeah I know, blah blah blah, but I do believe most of it too

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Interesting point Charles. I know when I first started I spun quickly with short poi, mostly because everyone around me spun slowly with long poi and I wanted to go in a different direction. Now, I'm fortunate to be able to look at most of my local influeces and say "How'd you do that?". And I still have some uniqueness to my spinning compared to those around me.

I do know that some of my earlier influences did spin in small New York Apartments and therefore are stationary and compact. If we'd all learned on a beach or where the weather was nice enough to be outdoors, I think we'd move more.

I'm tryin' new things though...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I practiced indoors a lot for a period of time. It caused me to have a compact style without a lot of movement, and ducking during over the head moves. I am much better now.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Also don't forget that we fall into patterns. Spin naturally for you and see which move flows into which move naturally...now break that pattern. Try other things. Split time, forwards, back, etc. Also listen to a music you would NEVER have normally concidered spinning to. The change in rhythm and style of music can also change your spinning style. Proximity as well....see how close or far away you can move the poi to you, or bend your arms into you, stretch them away, etc.

If you don't have a mirror, which I agree is best, shadows help as well. Look into other movement arts and see if there is anything that can help you there. I totally agree with all points made, especially with Josh and the clubs.

I do this every now and then as well. It is good for the style and good for the soul!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
another important thing which most people tend to not think about is..... Posture....that's right, how many people actually think about how their shoulders are set, or if they are leaning forward, or hunched over, or leaning to far back, or keeping their arms extended like they are afraid of the fire.

Loosen it up a little, balance your stance, pay attention to your body possitions, and how your feet move when you turn.

these are all tings which can add to or subtract from how good you look to other people when you spin.

I have seen people spinning with horrible posture and stance, and it realy detracts from how good they could look. Even when doing technical moves one should always keep the body balanced. And this is especialy important for beginners, so as not to get into bad habits.

I have one friend who was always leaning way forward, and keeping his arms way out, while his head tilted back. his leg would always be sticking out in front and with the knee totally extended, and his butt sticking out. It looked awkward and it looked like he was afraid of the poi. Anyways, I finaly pointed it out to him one day, (I was more interested in teaching him the moves, and work on stance latter, this was MY mistake, I should have told him about his stance sooner) It took him several months to "fix" his form after I pointed it out to him. But he did mostly fix it. He still has very minor work left to do, but he is coming along nicely.

Anyways, if you want to look good, don't forget your body posture/position.

I have seen spinners who had good moves, they just had a bad posture, and it realy detracts from the performance.

I think I wont name names, as that would be rude, and this is a private thing (constructive critisizm that is) I don't want to hurt somebodies feeling by publicly slamming their form. but everybody who reads this should take a look at themselves (watch a video of yourself realy helps) and see what you are doing, and if you see your friend doing it, let them know.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dance posture (especially good for bellydance).
It frees the limbs for fluid movement, both legs and arms. Removes the weight center from being on the lower back and increases your capacity for air by raising your chest.

Stand normal, now tuck your tailbone in just a little so that you should feel your weight shift from your back to your heels. Roll your shoulders back and down in a relaxed position but still back. This lifts the chest and really, you can not slouch if you stay in this position.

It gives you great performance lines, strong posture, great support, awesome breath capacity (you aren't constricted by slumping), the appearance of confidence, really it is a fantastic performance posture as it makes it hard to look at your feet!
It is one of the very first things I teach my bellydancers.
It is hard to get used to but well worth it when you do. I find I have taken it on in daily life many times as well.

Good call Santana!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
purrrrrrrr

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
meow!