NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
My fellow Penn State poi spinners and I recently got together and spun a bunch of fire (also dropping the virginity of my fire wicks) and were fooling around with digital cameras taking stills and 30 second video clips and such. The funny thing is that we had enough clips (quantity and quality) for my friend to put together a rather nice video with adobe premiere. The version I have is about 78 meg (4-5 min or so) but he did just do another edit on it which I don't yet have.

ANYWAYS, I was wondering what the best way to share this video would be. Free websites are obviously right out, and I'm leaving to go home for spring break (to a much older computer) in about 8 hours or so. We've been considering purchasing some space/hosting for a website (found one for $8/month for a year, 400 Meg storage, 30 Gig monthly transfer, domain name registry etc) but I was also wondering how I would go about setting up my computer as an ftp server for when I get back to school (March 16th). Any help would be much appreciated.

~Dan

P.S. The song is Firestarter by Prodigy, and we all know it's a tad mainstream/trendy/overusedperhapsblahblahblah but it's still a good song that works well w/the video.

[ 17. March 2003, 15:42: Message edited by: NothingsPerfect ]

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
78 Mb ???
that's one big file.....any way you can make it smaller? convert it to a *.wmv file would be alright.....(as long as the quality is alright)
there is also other filetypes that are good and dont take to much space....

And when can we get it?

And virgin runs is always alright

And have a good weekend

I like Fire.. :)

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
What's the name of that hosting company? We're only allowed 75 Megs of space and 5 gigs of bandwidth/month, and are paying a lot more than $8 for it....

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
we pay $70 dollars a year (thats 6 bucks a month), but our bandwidth and storage space suck compared to that. we get 5 gig monthly transfer and 75 meg storage. pwease tell me what server you are talking about?

I recomend the dreaded DivX....LOL, everybody uses it, don't you wnt to be cool like us

[ 08. March 2003, 04:49: Message edited by: santanatrue ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
if you don't have a firewall, you should go the "make your computer a server" route. I don't know anything aobut that stuff though, I use a service (that costs to much and gives to little)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
there is a couple of 'free space' sites out there that does offer good bandwith and a decent amount
Mb to Download..........
and if you use a redirection service you can
change where you want to store youre files without changing the name of the site....
Just have to search for it.....

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I don't know how old your older computer is, but if it's to slow it won't encode into divx very well and the quality will be pretty bad. I don't know really how fast a system needs to be for good encodeing though. Since my computer is so patheticly old encodeing any media greater then mp3's is pretty much out of the question.

I would say divx is definatly the route you should take for compression. Although sometimes good results come out of .wmv more often then not .wmv looks like crap. As far as running a FTP server from your home connection all you need is to download a free FTP server program (tons can be found, if you want links I can hook you up)

If your IP address changes everytime you log in you will have to update the IP numbers everytime it changes. Or you could get a DNS service (you can get them for free but I have never ran a server so I can't tell you how good the quality of the free DNS services are)

Uh that's all I know about it. I don't have any actual experience with this stuff Im just trying to point you in the right direction. Someone who has more of a clue then me can help you in further detail.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Call me naive and idiodic but is there any way we could share on KaZaA? I know we'd all have to be on at the same time but I'd be willing to download it on a friends DSL and leave it up for a few days or something. My home dialup is open too but would take a while...

It seems like we're really just trading vids with 8 or so people.

Can Kazaa do that if we're on at the same time looking for the same thing?

Call me low tech if you must.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

729 posts

Posted:
Problem with me and my troupe is we're all based on a campus network that just put up a firewall that disables any file transfers out using peer-to-peer programs like KaZaa... we can download all we want but we can't upload a thing. Applies to computers in the dorms where I live as well as the lab computers Santana uses. Price we pay for fast downloads I guess... though we have recently secured a bit more space to post videos, so we should be able to manage ourselves for the time being.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Yay, awesome response, guys. I knew there were a bunch of techno-inclined people here.

First off, the hosting place is www.ipowerweb.com . From what I've seen of them, they want $96 for a year (equalling $8/mo) and they've got lots of cool stuff to give you for it. Check it out, lemme know what you guys think.

Next, the video already is divx encoded (yikes! 78 is big) and my friend doesn't want to go the route of wmv cause it would sacrifice too much quality. The videos were already taken with a digital still camera so we need all the quality we can get.

Thirdly (what, am I writing an english paper here?), I think ftp transfer might be a good idea for the meantime. The computer I'm on now has dial up, the equivalent of a pentium 2, and 64 MB ram. My computer back at school has T3 non-dynamic (i.e. constant) ip, 1.8 Ghz pentium 4, and 256 MB ram. So I won't be able to put it up until I get back to school (after spring break) around the 17th.

As for the Kazaa idea, that might work but I've usually found that filesharing programs have very slow transfer rates. I'll definitely consider it if the files go at the same rate as ftp, however. Oh, and Dio, it really sucks that you guys can't upload stuff on campus. Our school limits 1.5 Gig upload and 1.5 Gig download each week, but we found our way around that by using Direct Connect. They don't count internal server traffic, so we all formed a hub and share (there are like 300 users, over 6 terrabytes shared) our stuff on there. I'm sure your school's server can't restrict you from uploading stuff within the network, so go to google or yahoo and do a search for "dc++" Then all you need to do is find out how to set up your own hub and restrict it to only on campus IPs. It's worth a shot at least.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
NP whats the (pixel) image size of the video your using?

78mb seems a bit too big. Did you compress the music too?
We're getting really good sound and image from DV cameras to divx running at about 10mb a minute

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The transfer speeds on peer to peer shareing programs are as fast as any other file transfer protocol such as FTP or DC. It is determined by the speed of the person who is uploading and the speed of the person who is downloading.

I like the idea of using direct connect.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
For the people posting videos.....
would it be a problem to have more file alternatives for the same video?
Everythings alright if you have a high speed connection but I dont think everyone has...so post one file for the high speed people and one for the low-as-can-be speed people (like me )
then it also can work as a sample video....
instead of getting a 'file download complete next week' (this better be good )
situation.......

729 posts

Posted:
we just make ours "as small as is physically possible" with the compression and all that.

kinda sucks that the best we've been able to achieve is 23 megs in size...

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
I have seen your videos Dio ( and the others)
The spinning was cool but I thought the files was to big for the quality I saw.....(some of the files)
I dont have a clue about camcorders and connecting them to the PC but something can be done I think......maybe make a tech thread for inputs would be alright?.......
and the nickwithfire.w(something) was small sized but in ok quality....maybe check with that guy what he did?
anyway.......like videos no matter what the quality are....keep up the good work......
someday I'll have my own videothread.....someday....just get a camcorder...
and a good PC .....and some skills

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Ok what you need to transfer footage onto a computer depends on the type of camera you have.

If it's just a regular (non digital video) camera you will either need a video capture card (also known as a video input or video encoder card) or an external video encoder. A external encoder will most likely use firewire or USB to connect to your computer so you will need firewire or USB inputs on your computer. If you don't have them you can buy a card to put in your computer fairly cheaply which gives it fire wire or USB capability.

You can also use a tv tuner or tv in card and put the footage on VHS tape, run coaxial cable from a VCR to your tv tuner card and then use your tv tuner software to capture the video (the quality may not be that great with this method)

If you have a digital video camera things will be a lot easier. All you need is a firewire port (some cameras have USB output but not many)

Now your going to need atleast some sort of video capture software and or video editing software if you want to edit it (most editing software also captures) The software can be bought (probably god awfully expensive) or you can pirate it. If you have a mac it will come with imovie (if it doesn't have imovie you can download it from the mac page for free) and with a PC you can get MS movie maker from the MS page for free (it may come with windows XP im not sure)

[ 09. March 2003, 15:11: Message edited by: Astar ]

729 posts

Posted:
Our videos are all compressed using the latest and most efficient divx drivers for the video, and the audio is 128kbps mp3 compression... yes nick's video is smaller, and if you read some of the other threads around here about the videos you'll notice i had asked about that and the responses i got back all seemed to point away from doing what nick did on account of software and compatibility issues. as far as i know, this is as good as it gets, sorry man

we might make a few shorty clips here and there, but i like the music video format and will probably turn out majority 3-5 minute videos.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dio:
and if you read some of the other threads around here about the videos you'll notice i had asked about that and the responses i got back all seemed to point away from doing what nick did on account of software and compatibility issues
other threads? I have enought trouble following my own threads on this reply-loving board.. okidoki.....point taken.....I'll run it through some mates....see what they say.....reply if something turns up...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
IF you read the how to shoot video info on this site, you will be quite well set up;

https://www.homeofpoi.com/poiavi's.htm#Answers

also - using DivX and 128k mp3 audio you will be sorted as far as getting the smallest file size possible.

You can also consider doing a bunch of shorter clips, instead of one big file...

I dont mind - I have broadband, bring it on baby

BTW NYC, I think Kazaa is a great idea, but SoulSeek is much Better

Josh

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
(snip)

[ 17. March 2003, 15:41: Message edited by: NothingsPerfect ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Dude the same thing happened with pk when he tried to share on kazaa. I don't know why but I could never find PK (and now you) online in kazaa (or winmx) Other people were having the same problem. Could you send it to someone VIA ICQ or another similiar program?

[ 17. March 2003, 12:02: Message edited by: Astar ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Can't find it either..

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Can't find as well.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
People still can't find the video, so I can send it through either AIM or mIRC. Feel free to im me at Dan9IN.

[ 17. March 2003, 15:41: Message edited by: NothingsPerfect ]