Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm finding it interesting that the 50/50 male/female mix doesn't seem to hold for the Poi Moves section. I wonder why that is...

(Yes, I know there are a few females that frequent it but the ratio is nowhere near equal as it is in "social" let's say...)

I could make a few sociodemographical guesses as to why (different ways males and females learn, differences in why males and females communicate, ect.) but I do find it interesting.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't feel that way either, but I do believe that some of the women who posted do... Which answers my initial question.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
This is santana speaking,

those technical descriptions usually mess me bad if I don't already know what it is talking about. It usually takes people several descriptions and I have to ask many questions in order to get a move across to me. So, its not just girls. And nobody should ever feel bad about not understanding a technical description. There are probably very few people in the world who can quickly understand a technical description without already knowing the moves involved. I know I am not one of them. It takes a lot of patience from the learner and the teacher to understand the technical threads. Trust me on this. Maybe guys do tend to have an advantage, but remember, you can do anything you put your mind to, be you guy or girl.

And if all else fails there are some realy high quality free videos (shameless promotion of poi in the park and wildfire oklahoma) floating around here, and if a picture is worth a thousand words, at 12 frames per second, how many words is a three minute video worth? 2,160,000 words. yea baby yea!

[ 14. March 2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Dio ]

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:

Eh-hem...

::shifts note cards nervously::

I'm sorry.... about my penis.

I suck and yet am thuroughly uninttimidated. If we're so equal I don't see why women should be afraid to pipe up.

Relax, not the end of the world if women don't wanna join and- despite my through lack of experience here and utter dissinterest on researching past threads previously mentioned in this one- it's not like anyone put up a sign saying "stay away, that means you woman!" If they were interested, they'd join, to me it just looks like they don't care.

BTW: I have 2 midterms tommorrow and have already had like 3, so my brain is more than a little lost and in pain

Lalalalala

::goes back to practicing his suspended split and chanting made up incantations cause he thinks it makes him look cool and do better on midterms::

No one knows me like I do.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by santana:
those technical descriptions usually mess me bad if I don't already know what it is talking about. It usually takes people several descriptions and I have to ask many questions in order to get a move across to me. So, its not just girls. And nobody should ever feel bad about not understanding a technical description. There are probably very few people in the world who can quickly understand a technical description without already knowing the move.

...and if a picture is worth a thousand words, at 12 frames per second, how many words is a three minute video worth? 2,160,000 words. yea baby yea!

nice quote man don't know where that 'yea baby yea!' bit came from though...

anyway, i totally agree with that bit above. if you don't believe us, take a look @ the 'what is a waistwrap?' thread.
that thread was one that taught me a whole load but it took a good few posts and some nice helpful people who didn't mind clarifying stuff to get the message through.

still i needed to see a btb one on video before i could figure that out. what the thread did was explain all the possible variations once i had the basic front and back versions.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
i'm sure their must be some difference between men and women in general with this but i'm not sure what it is. its definately not as clear as technical vs. dancy or something to that effect. because you get people who cross. but then again, exceptions to the rule don't disprove the rule so maybe that is a valid distinction.
at any rate, i can really only speak for myself, so i'd like to say taht i don't post in the more technical places becasue i don't like to come across as stupid to people i don't know and who have no other basis on which to judge me. as stated, its hard to understand the moves if you don';t see them, and yes the videos help a lot. but my computer won't play them, so i can only watch them if i sneak into my apartment mate's room and watch on his computer.
and also, videos can only take you so far. what i really need at this point is a person to stand there, watch me, and critique what i'm doing. and also to give me personalized instruction. the problem is that i'm the best poi person in general that i know (trust me i'm not trying to brag, that would get me nowhere and i hate it when people compliment me anyways). the really technically difficult things i want to learn are not things they are interested in right now and obviously they can't help me if i say "parllel thread the needle" and want them to help me but its the first time they've heard of it.
so i think i suffer more from a dearth of atmosphere conducive to becoming a god rather than a sex disadvantage/difference.
and then there's class and work...sigh.

729 posts

Posted:
Part of the competitive difference between guys and gals might also be a result of socialization. Women are generally expected by society to be submissive and non-confrontational, and more diplomatic in the way they resolve their problems. That doesn't necessarily mean they're not competitive, they are just expected to suppress that sort of feeling. Men, on the other hand, are expected to compete tenaciously and even casually insult each other ("trash talk" ) on occasion. In a fun way, of course, but it reinforces the notion.

How does that apply to Poi, you ask? Well, we've definitely discussed in depth how the guys around here tend to banter in a friendly sort of competition with one another. The women, however, do not seem to challenge or goad each other the way we do. The guys seem to be quicker to show off, quicker to want to prove themselves as skilled performers, and quicker to publicize their talents and new discoveries. The women, on the other hand, seem to hold back more and only describe a move if asked to (and when they do, they're great at it ) Within my own troupe, I've noticed that while the men and women can perform with entirely equal levels of skill, the men tend to show more confidence in their techniques.

What we have isn't so much an issue of "who's better," or "who makes who feel unwelcome." What I believe I am seeing is a by-product of gender roles. Yes, it sucks, and yes, I would absolutely love to have more females within the moves threads. I AM noticing a gradual change, however, in the social roles, especially in our generation, so I have very high hopes that one day women will be as much a part of this section as the men.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
based on a sample size of two

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

729 posts

Posted:
Well, that is within the poi group. Take fields like math and science, that have also been primarily male-dominated over the years, and you'll see similar trends.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:

oh...I guess girls arent as good at Maths and Science, and so thats why they are Male-Dominated fields?

josh

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
grrr.. I'm just not even going to recognised those last comments....

naa, just joking - personnaly those last statements don't offend me, because I've never been good at maths or science (except biology), but it is a bit of a sweeping statement, and not at all true.. but I know you guys are just joking..

Just had to say my part for equality

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
men are just a bunch of stupid useless genetic material that have no purpose in life but to serve women. in the past it was decided by women that we should do the boring hunting while they hung out witht the kids. then recently they changed the rules on us, they decided we were having more fun at work, men had it all worked out, they were just sitting there at work while women did the slaving. now, again, we but serve their whims. can you tell i've been in an all super girl circus for 7 years?
we are in control of ourselves, people, we are in charge of how we affect people. generally women are more mature than men at their own age bracket, that's why they don't even mess with stupid shit. sorry but i try to joke stupid about male competitive ego pumping to hold up a mirror for those that do it, helps keep it freindly. but i really only serve women like a humble slave. try it sometime... mmmmmmmmhhmmmmmmm...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
:nods head: yep yep yep, truer words of wisdom have never been spoken.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Interesting thread NYC.

smile,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thank you Dr. HoP Archaeologist. smile