Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm finding it interesting that the 50/50 male/female mix doesn't seem to hold for the Poi Moves section. I wonder why that is...

(Yes, I know there are a few females that frequent it but the ratio is nowhere near equal as it is in "social" let's say...)

I could make a few sociodemographical guesses as to why (different ways males and females learn, differences in why males and females communicate, ect.) but I do find it interesting.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you increased the female numbers here dude

just kidding, i wish there were more gurls here in the moves. there's only so much i can take of arashi putting his ass around, i'm a man in need of variety

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yes, I have been thinking about that....what's up witht that? Sucks too, cause I've been watching some gurlz to see my video and critique it. that's for the girls... and that, and that

See, we love you here girls, won't you come out and play with us? Realy, we don't bite...much, unless you want us too.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See you're lucky you're not in my class PK. Cuz then I'd give you my "Using female as a derogatory word" speech.

"So what, you're insulting me by calling me female? What does that say about females? Is your mom/girlfriend/girl sitting next to you female? What does that say about her? What does it say when we call male athletes who mess up 'women' or 'girls' as an insult? What does that say about the women in their lives?"

Just kiddin' dude. But it is an interesting point. I've often seen teenage boys use "girl" as an insult.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Interesting thought NYC about the gender mix. I can only share my own distorted perspective.... and keep in mind - I'm not having a go at anyone or the way the discussions are proceeding - I'm just sharing my perspective

Sometimes in the poi moves forum I feel like I'm watching a pissing contest

(e.g., some of the hyperloop conversations and the technical discussions about how to load and watch videos)

And without the adequate tackle for such an encounter, I just walk away without comment

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Well guys here's a chick who frequents the Poi Moves but mostly to check out the "other" video thread replys and sometimes reply to them.Mostly because that's where our troupe posts stuff about our vids.Keep in mind I'm still kinda new to HOP and still figuring out the ropes...or chains.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
pissing contest? Yes, it does seem that way sometimes. Manly posturing, arm wraslin, boxing, those are competative things. Guyslike to get drunk and see who's beter at stuff. But, I don't think that completely explains it, as we only do that stuff occationally on HOP.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Well the title made me venture down into an area I don't normally dwell in t'anks NYC

I can tell you why I don't come down here often. I find it very hard to explain the stuff I do that is at a more complicated level, some of it I can't even explain to myself, it just happens. I also don't consider myself that good. I also don't learn, or retain info in this way.

At a broader level, Dom was talking when he was in Sydney about the guys he knows that analyse moves to the nth degree. They love it. They are total poi-nerds (and adorable with it ). And I have found this across many many areas. I know guys who can categorise every form of music known to man. I know guys who know the weaponry of online role-playing games in such detail you would swear they used it in the real world. I know guys who can discuss all models of Fords ever manufactured. I know precious few females who bother reciting similar lists of facts.

I hang out in the social section until the war of words gets too fierce, and then I retreat into introductions and stop by a friend's thread. Poi moves is just way to heavy to get into, and way to much of a pissing contest.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I think the girls of HoP should get with Malcolm and arrange a "Women of HoP" video. Nothing offensive or sexual, just a showcase of the wonderful female talents we have around here.

What do you guys think, maybe have the ladies all donate some vids for us that we could put into a compilation video? hahaha like the next "american idol" (i get to be simon!) except for poi... and all women... and no horrible singing auditions...

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I AM THE EMPEROR POI NERD (pisses on everybody)
man, i didn't even check out these moves areas until a little while ago. then i saw some cool sharing happening. then i saw how move deprived these poor folks are

but i am sort of disturbed. i'm trying to steer away from the pissing contest vibe, because it excludes people and just makes me feel like bugging off. i don't know what bug off means but i hope it means leave . now that i think about it, i do it in a joking about it way and maybe people don't catch that. . it seems to me like really people make jokes, but their hearts are in the right place, huh?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
told you NYC you increased the female's here , look rozi posted, i was predicting the future not using gurl in a derogative term
right i'm doing a runner to edinburgh... laters.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Like Rozi said: Boys obsess about things like poi moves far more than girls do.

Girls obsess about pointless things like relationships and accessories. Where's the fun in that!!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I read somewhere that guys have a better ability to make 2 dimensional plans and scripture into 3-d in their brains - better spacial awareness. A prime example in achitecture.. I don't really know of very many sucesfull femail achitects - tends to be a more male dom industry..

Whilst I do pop into 'the boys club' to see what they are prattling on about, they may as well be talking manderine chinese.. coz I don't have a clue what they are talking about as I can't picture the moves that they are discussing.. stick it on video - something visual.. and I know!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

729 posts

Posted:
So now I'm curious - what is the feminine perspective of our videos?

Yes, this is a blatant fishing for compliments... all the boyz here seem to think I make technical demo vids when in all actuality I'm making videos to convey a sense of fun and make poi look enjoyable... could a couple of the ladies check ours out in the "other" video thread?

My STORMTROOPERS!

729 posts

Posted:
Oh, and theory on the lack of women in here....

Santana's booty-shakin' moves frighten them away

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
That may have something to do with it...

Joking Santana - your ass is kute...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
no way man, only half of women are revolted by the booty shakin, the other half love it. At least that is what I have found based on an extreamly small sample size of six or seven women. That's why I wanted more gurly input...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
thank you missstix

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by santanatrue:
no way man, only half of women are revolted by the booty shakin, the other half love it. At least that is what I have found based on an extreamly small sample size of six or seven women. That's why I wanted more gurly input...
Shouldn't that be six or eight? Otherwise you would be breaking a woman in two

So the only reason why you want women down here is so that we can all go "ooooh" and "aaaaah" at your fantrabulous videos. It ain't anything about what we can do really, you just want grrls to look at you. Is that right?

And then maybe you want us to make some of our own videos, just "the ladies", so you can have a nice perv?

My apologies to NYC for the cynicism. I love the fact that you are trying to highlight this in a thread.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sorry again. The above post was very unfair. I realise that you guys are trying to address the problem with some ideas and suggestions.

The honest fact is to me they really didn't hit the mark. I think the thing that really put my nose out of joint was the use of the phrase "the ladies", it has some pretty bad connatations in my mind, hence my silly narky post.

We have started to touch on why it is that not a lot of women post in technical. Looking at spatial awareness, and learning types. That is something interesting.

I come down here when I feel I have something to contribute, which will be the equal of the other posts. As to why I don't feel that as often, well it taps into the other things we have talked about.

Sorry, I know you are doing your best, but it is not going to be addressed by creating a "women's only" video. And inviting women to comment on other videos won't help either. Because that doesn't say "you are here because you have skill the equal of or greater than everyone here", rather it says "you are here cos you are a woman".

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rozi:
I know guys who know the weaponry of online role-playing games in such detail you would swear they used it in the real world.
I love you too Rozi

I agree that guys obsess over different things that girls do. I also know for a fact that Rozi, knows a hell of alot more about cars than I do. So this I tell you, we all have our interests, we dont all tell everyone what they are.

Lurkers make up 80% of this board

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

729 posts

Posted:
Rozi, I wasn't trying to talk down to anyone or offend or anything. I said "the ladies" rather that "the girls" or "the chicks" or something else that might be construed as derogatory, but evidently it didn't hit the mark. And yes, I was trying to offer some suggestions that would even out the numbers here in the poi moves thread.

I gathered from earlier posts that women care less about the technical aspects of poi and more enjoy the overall "big picture." That's why I was asking for some female input as to the videos my troupe has posted... if you'll look back at some of the opinions on our video thread, so far all of the reviews have been technical critiques by the men (who you say are more into lists of skills and such). I was looking for an alternate viewpoint because the videos weren't intended as technical showcases, and more as "big picture" type videos. That aspect had nothing to do with trying to invite more women into the thread, I was looking for your thoughts.

I am aware that you apologized, and I accept it wholeheartedly. But please remember for future reference that I do not talk down to women, and I don't advertise our videos because I want women to "ooh" and "ahh" over my skills/appearance. I had nothing but good intentions with my post.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Interesting conversaton. I think there are some interesting points coming out.

Firstly, I think there is a cyclical effect of this section becoming exclusive. I think the initial impotus was the fact that many people find this section difficult to understand. So they stay away. So then this section turns into a private conversation between just a few males, in this case, and it becomes even more difficult to join in. I do think that's the order of events. The "pissing contests" really only came about because, IMHO, there were only a few people chatting. Actually, I was confused at first because I remember when HoP went through a SERIOUS testosterone competition phase and it's actually quite mellow now.

I think that sociological male/female differences created the lack of female presence and, once this did become a boys club, the conversations only exaggerated that fact.

My personal opinion is that the language in this area sometimes does create a less welcoming environment for women then the social section. It's not by maliciousness AT ALL... it's purely because it's a bunch of guys talking, which, sometimes can be unwelcoming to women.

Also, and this thought just hit me and has nothing to do with male/female... but: Whenever someone comes in here who is not elite and asks a question, it's usually been discussed before. So we tell them to do a search and go away. This mandates that the only people who will be posting new ideas will be the ultra-elite cutting edge Jedi. That can certainly be an intimidating situation for a mid level spinner to walk in on. I'm not sure how to fix this problem. Or even if it is a problem. I'm here and I post but I'm a spaz and don't really care about being the kid among men.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Looking back at this thread, Rozi does bring up an important point.

Certainly creating a Female Video would indirectly serve to further suggest inferiority among the female spinners.

Also, this site has quite a bit of flirting going on which I am CERTAINLY guilty of and enjoy. BUT when it comes to technical topics and there is already a sense of male supremecy, it can be intimidating. I think that's what Rozi reacted to in the above posts.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ARASHI
I AM THE NERD GoD OF THE KINGD M OF POI - NERD M.

I've even developed state transition diagrams for weaves which allow you to determine what weave's/combinations of weaves are posible , and lead to a breakthrough in understanding the dynamics of weavage.

Arashi, Compared to me, you are as nerdy as the Fonz , whereas I, am about as cool as an ageing old chemistry teacher wearing socks and sandals, leaking pens in the breast pocket and a comb over hairstyle.
(nyc you're not there yet)

come on, Arashi, Piss up the wall higher than that.
(is it really pronounced ad-a-she?)

[ 09. March 2003, 08:21: Message edited by: glass ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
whatever, doooooood, i'm in the middle of typing a three page diagrammatic thesis on the intermediate butterflies. TTN is next. just finished the _first_ page on crossovers. beat that.

the "d" is almost like a "t"

rhymes with oddity or odyssey. a-da-sheeeeeeeee.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WHY YOU GOTTA BE DISSIN CHEMISTRY AND SH!T YO? You don't see me takin smack about tall underbathed londonites? Damn yo. B!tches be all up in my sh!t thinkin' they all dat and sh!t.

Betta Step off befo' I'm gonna hafta bus' a cap.

Werd.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ROFLMAOOL

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I personally thing a 'chick flic' would be cool.. It would show you guys grace and agility to a bunch of technique geeks..

and yes this is my very dry attempt at humour..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think we all know the real reason behind this:

Guys are better than girls.

See?! Wasn't too hard to work out was it?..

*runs away*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Durbs,...

I'll get you later my pretty... mhuhahahahahaha!

Page: