Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 9 beat weaves and European style wraps.

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In my quest for a presentable 5 beat weave I've been playing with adding more beats through European style (non-recoil or non-raver) wraps.

[Yes, I've dubbed a term and I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked for it but it seems that when Europeans call something a wrap it's the move where you wind an extra beat around a body part and then move the body part to unwind without recoiling. And besides, Orange taught me my first wrap like that and he's from Europe, or at least the UK. The recoil type, glowstick raver-wraps are quite different. Are we cool with this? Fine, moving on...]

Aside from adding beats to weaves, what else can these wraps be used for? I know the neck wrap (tilt head forward, tilt head back)... any other jenre of moves that this trick lends itself to?

In related news: Damn, life is so much easier if you use longer poi. Just pulled off my first 9 beat (2 wraps + 5 beat + 2 wraps) and it almost looked pretty. With speading up the non-wrapping poi to match the increasing speed of the wrapping poi it might actually look decent.

In unrelated news: Have still not mastered the 5 beat reverse BUT am much more familiar with the back of my head (ouch!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh snap... hells yeah.

You can thread the needle, wrap one arm then turn 180 and unwrap in reverse thread the needle.

WHY DIDN'T YOU PEOPLE TELL ME THIS?!

Damn, it's a whole new genre to me! Curse you Jedi for keeping this secret from us mortals!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
erm... morning coffee (5:08)

edit: also @ (5:16) mr bluecat does a nice 'carry-through' (european) wrap btl.

[ 06. March 2003, 12:42: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I now really like wraps
I was playing with them a bit yesterday but I find it really hard to get the timing right if I'm adding wrapped beats into the weave, 1 poi always ends up catching the other one.
I find the best wraps I do only ever happen by accident, and I very rarely work out what happened afterwards

Throwing in a bit of semantics, I now call wraps that don't involve the poi stopping 'wraps' and those that do involve the poi stopping 'wrap stops'.
That tends to make things much easier to describe since I'm usually not good at explaining things

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Maybe some day I will posess the technology to view "Morning Coffee"... I'm quite certain my computer would flat out slap me if I tried to download another audio or video application, let alone a file transfer program. I guess I'll have to wait for COL4.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oops. I video taped myself. Turns out, since I had only been wraping and unwraping my left arm I was actually doing 8 and 10 beat "weaves". I've never actually done a 9 beat.

I'm a liar.

Looks more like 2+4+2 on each side if I wrap once and 4+4+4 if I wrap twice on just my left arm. I forgot that each wrap actually adds two beats. Wait, that's 12. (Runs to videotape self again...) Yup, OK, I did a 12 beat weave. Poorly and not in perfect split time yet. Wow, that sounds way cooler than it is.

OK, I'll shut up now.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Wraps go into almost every move: corkscrew; btb waistwrap (which is a current favourite of mine); btl butterflys alternating the poi btl as you step; butterfly to your sides then wrap each poi on it's own arm and turn (with long poi you can completely wrap around the arm once or even twice); etc...

In related news I've mananged to pull off a couple of 9 beat weaves, with no wraps Them extra elbows coming in use again

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
ya lanky git

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Dom...you make me feel unworthy!

I've only recently gotten a decent 5 beat weave and the extra beat corkscrew. The extra beat windmill is getting there, but not nearly as smooth.

I think I should have followed Cass's lead and followed you around the globe!

Arg...never mind the fact that my timing is still off on reverse thread the needle.

They tell me I'm a really good spinner...I think I have them fooled.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Oops. I video taped myself. Turns out, since I had only been wraping and unwraping my left arm I was actually doing 8 and 10 beat "weaves". I've never actually done a 9 beat.

[

hmmm......where is the video the .....I dont see a video anywhere

why not get it on the PC and post it for us?.....
I would really like to see a 8-10 beat weave...never seen one before......

Peace

I like Fire.. :)