strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
i don't know if its just me, but has anyone had really adverse reactions when telling them that they could do all this wonderful stuff. I was just asked (by a friend) if i was going to get my head shaved next? i dont understand the connection?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I was using my comet poi today and was asked if Im trying out to be a cheerleader!!!PS Im 6ft and a GUY!

strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
could work. you just have to be very perky!

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I love people reactions. and the effect it has on them. For example:i was at a house party last week, at which i spun some fire poi. A friend whom i've known for years has never seen me spin b4. He was amazed at first. but then got really demorallised because he claimed he was so boring and did nothing of interest.Thats happened about 6 times in the last few months. grinP.L.U.R.oh, i dont see the conection between the hair and poi either tongue

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think the connection between the hair and poi is the insanity thing, alot of people think it takes guts or craze to shave a head and alot of people think the same about spinning.In response to the question, most of my friends and compatriots when I told them what I was embarking on had amazing reactions, very supportive though concerned, which has now turned into jokes.My family all asked if I was crazy, my mom cried out of fear, she still turns white when I mention it. My dad thinks I am nuts but that it is cool looking. My dad's co-workers told me it looked amazing then asked him when the hell did I lose my mind. As for audience members, I have had several be entranced but afraid.Yup, I have had adverse reactions. But the positive ones I have had far outnumber them. And I look at several of the adverse ones as them being concerned for me, which I like.And just think BFG, if you were a cheerleader, you'd get to throw around all those cute girls! wink[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 13 August 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Heh, my parents were quite pleased when they found out I was occupying my time fire spinning instead of motorcycle racing. Of course, they have never been fond of my long hair either, so maybe they think I'll burn it off again...-p.

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
Lots of people tell me I'm crazy and that one day I will burn myself seriously and give up "this kind of weird stuff". Still, even more people tell me it's amazing and to keep going!!!My parents love it, know it's safe (almost safe hehee) and are relieved because I wont set the house on fire any more! grinWell, older people (Im not talking about the HoP older people - Im 19- "older people" around here are AMAZING), tend to label anything that's different as "strange, crazy, weird, stupid, dangerous", you know...So, dont mind them. And friends and people of your age that react badly...tell them you're practicing for setting your whole body on fire! That will do it tongue - just kidding!!!------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Heyla All,I know this probably doesn't happen to the fire twirling people smile, but has anyone ever had someone want to "try" using your practice/Glowstick poi just to play? I have ended up making sets of practice tennis ball poi and glowstix poi for friends and others to play with. I've found that most people that want to try in "raves" are usually not all that sober and quit once they have smacked themsevles a few times smile. Any good stories out there on this one?------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
i must admit my friends, are used to my countless beggings to borrow thier staff and or poi, even though i have my own tennis balls on string, and broomstick. i keep telling them a few more weeks and i will have my own. Thiers have been the greatest reactions ( mainly because its thier fault they introduced me, and took me to the magick happens(in sydney) were i gots the FEVER!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Steelwings, you would be surprised about those who want to try fire. While visiting New Hampshire we encountered a drunk who kept pestering us to try our fire poi. Peregrine and I both thought the guys was nuts, I dunno if he hit up to try Nomad's or not. We didn't let him, of course...but some novice who had some pretty dangerous spinning practices herself allowed him, right next to where we were fuelling up!!! After there Peregrine and I became adament about people being away from the fuel dump. Thank goodness nothing happened.I have comets I carry for others to try, and I worked it into my act to invite some smug looking person on the stage and get them to try it...it's really funny and people realise it isn't as easy as it seems, my last show I said, "And in every audience there is some young guy who says he can do this trying to impress a young lass..." When I looked in his direction the guy knew I meant him and he started to slink away. It was funny but I got him, and he was a great sport!!!I also had my LED's at a concert and some guy asked to try them. He could do 3 moves but they looked good! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
>>>While visiting New Hampshire we encountered a drunk who kept pestering us to try our fire poi. Peregrine and I both thought the guys was nuts, I dunno if he hit up to try Nomad's or not. We didn't let him, of course...but some novice who had some pretty dangerous spinning practices herself allowed him, right next to where we were fuelling up!!!<<------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have been going to the park and spinning quite a lot, and it's amazing how much interest is generated.You know, it's strange, most people seem able to do the 2-beat weave before they start...I've been making lots of pairs, I think I might sell some to people.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x