poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
While I'm on the subject of radical variations on wraps have any of you tried to do wraps on a fellow spinner while they were doing wraps on you?Myself and a friend of mine have horsed around with this idea in the past and have thought of a couple different ideas like back to back arm wraps and arm-leg wrap combos.New ideas and suggestions always welcome.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
What about doing hyperloop type moves only instead of wrapping your poi agaisnt your poi do it your poi agaisnt theirs (Yes I realize this would be really difficult but some of the posters here seem to be super human) Or what about colour changing only instead of switching glow sticks or LED poi with your own poi swap them with your partner via some quick sleight of hand.

I really like the partner stuff. In pyrosutras seatle bite video there is a portion where a guy and a girl poi spinner do some really nice partner stuff and there just seems to be this intense chemistry between them. Really amazing stuff.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Patner to partner neck wraps poi has now entered the s&m fetish realm

Dissolved Girlmember
70 posts

Posted:
hey astar where can I download that video?

one.day.I.am.going.to.grow.wings.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Kyrian and I worked on some of the partner wraps for about 10 or 15 minutes. I think if you worked on it more, it'd turn out to be a big trust thing or you'd have to coreograph it all.

Now if you could have a big enough mental connection with each other, then freestyle two person wraps would be awesome.

Also we worked for about 5 or 10 minute on two person contact staff moves. That worked, until ehh. yeah. The staff had a little run in with both of us in the facial area .

Cheers,
Kinudin

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Pyrosutra videos located here:

https://www.pyrosutra.com/video.htm

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
My brother and I have developed a little game we play called caPOIera broken down it works like Capoeira (Brazillian martial arts/ dance) on the principle that all the movements are improvised, no choreography. We circle around each other and dodge and attack with our poi getting closer and closer in, out and around each other, and every now and then the odd partner wrap slips in. Oodles of fun, if you want to try it I recommend non-hurty poi. You'll find out for yourself how different moves tangle

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I take it you do this with practice wicks?

It would be amazing if you did it infront of a crowd with fire.

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
my brother and i did a lot of stuff together for a while, there's one where we stand back to back, both doing a weave, so the arcs of the poi intersect on our sides, we found that you can get into this position with a partner wrap that looks pretty cool. You start standing kindof back to back, but removed from each other, so (for example) i'd be standing facing one way, and my brother would stand just to my right, facing the other direction, basically asif we started off back to back and one of us took a big step to the side. in this position do the butterfly, then at the same time you both lift one of your legs up and wrap one poi on each other's legs, so you come out doing a weave, as you come out of this both turn in the same direction (as in each to his left for instance), you'll then end up back to back, doing a weave where the arcs cross each other at your sides. we were working on some others with horizontal weaves wrapping on each others waists and fore-arms, but didn't keep it up long enough to get anything down cos we both went travelling.

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
sorry, i meant upper-arms, not fore-arms, that would be HARD!

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this stuff is so much fun! we (myself and the absent-from-hop-but-better-than-ever moohaahaa) keep meaning to work on partner wrap routines but as yet have only tried improvised stuff.

glass and i managed to pull off a couple of two-person airwraps after a silly weekend of partying and juggling (just one hand each mind).
two-person hyperloops sound like they may be a bit impossible unless you are a dwarf-giant team and are only using one poi each...

[ 04. March 2003, 01:34: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I like this two-person wrap bizness. V cool idea.

Something I mentioned a while back is similar...doing wraps of objects around you, such as handrails, trees, fenceposts, and other such things. If you get fluid, it looks *amazing*

For those of you who like obscure references, I originally mentioned it here.

Now that I think about it, I think I did mention doing wraps off of other people, but they weren't meant to be willing participants.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy:
doing wraps off objects around you, such as handrails, trees, fenceposts, and other such things.
i like this idea!
i discovered 'powder-stops' on sunday - go somewhere with deep snow and you can dump your poi into the ground and use the snow to do very quick stops (none of the normal 'taking the rotation out' type stuff required for these stops either).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dang it Poiaholic, we should have worked out some of these at the sparkshop. Next time dude, next time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delaymember
8 posts

Posted:
this is something me and a friend have worked on but hasn't got past the freestyle, coriagraphy is just to darrn boring.
maybe we'll pick it up again, when where morw exp.

it happens

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Hey Nyc you know what else might be hella cool...

Juggling poi partners.
I have been practicing throws relentlessly since the last PiP event.

BTW who is gonna be the back-up if we both forget about the partners stuff next time ???

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
Nick! that sounds fucking ausome what u and your brother are doing i just wanna find a partner that is on the same level poi wise so we can mess around with wraps and partner stuff.

cheerz

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.